C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

The ole split BLM issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 11:11 AM
MarkLT1
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '04

I would think (someone tell me if I am wrong) that a clogged cat will cause that side to run more rich. Think of an engine as a pump- pump in air, add fuel, add spark, pump out exhaust. Air+fuel+spark=exhuast+energy.

Now, if a cat is clogged, you have more back pressure and less flow for the exhaust on that side. Thus, you cant have as much air entering the intake on that side (because where is that extra exhaust/air going to go?). The computer controlls how much fuel to add, and this does not change. So, if we had a perfect A/F ratio on the unclogged side, on the clogged side we have the same fuel, but less air, thus a rich condition.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:27 PM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Mark, I sorta forgot about this post. My spit does weird things. It does go up the RPM range aways. It has been awhile since I looked at it, but I messed with it so much that sometimes I could get it to swap from side to side. I couldn't ever get it where I wanted it so I gave up.

Quick Reply: The ole split BLM issue