C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Need Info on ATI Procharger

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 08:48 PM
TBH94
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Need Info on ATI Procharger

Anybody install an ATI Procharger on a c4? "94 LT1. If so, was it evetything you expected? I want to put one on my car but want to make sure that it is worth it for $4500. Any input would be great.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:00 AM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Hated mine. Sold it. NOT what is was cracked up to be. Sold it to a friend and he loves it for the reasons I hate it.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:43 AM
TBH94
Racer

What did you hate about the kit? Why did you sell it?
Old 03-23-2005, 11:31 AM
krivera
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TBH94,

Before going and buying something brand new i would look around for complete used kits! i know jason from automotion is selling a D1SC kit for a C4-94 i believe but that can save you some money to spend on injectors and fuel pump and gages!

oh and i love my kit, when i first got it i had some little problems but they were more on the tuning side! not on the supercharger side the SC was very easy to install and not it is second nature i pull my kit off atleast 1 times a year to clean out the piping and polish the head unit and little things like that make sure all my hoses are tight...but it is not something you would need to do i just do it because i guess i have to much time on my hands! lol
Old 03-23-2005, 11:42 AM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

The things I did not like in no special order;
1) Very loud! 102 decibles at idle. Ati said- Normal
2)Made too much underhood heat
3)Took a while to spool up
4) Did not make the boost claimed.
5)Car felt like it lost 20 hp under normal driving conditions. I assume from turning the belt and breathing hot air next to exhaust manifold.
6)The oil line (return) was mickey mouse. Had to hammer a hole in oil pan for fitting.
7) No matter how tight the clamps were, the hoses blew off from boost quite frequently.
8) the fmu used boost to double the pressure at the injectors for fuel enrichment. This just didn't sit well with me.
9) Butt o meter did not register the the claimed gains. My regret is not taking it to the track to document the gains.
10) Price-in my opinion- too high!

That said, the friend I sold it to loves it for the reason I hated it. He is very satisfied. On his car he picked up 9/10 th of a second with a 12 lb pulley. Not sure how much was gain due to baselining the car (before supercharger) with a slipping trans. We suspect only 1/2 sec from supercharger alone. This is speculation though.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:56 AM
krivera
Drifting

TBH94, oh and i forgot money for tuning...

also i agree with Pete K, i depends on what you want...i love the sound of the blower, i dont see much under hood heat except for the headers but they are wrapped now, no spool issue but remember this is not a turbo it is a SC and as rpm goes up so does boost and with a good belt there is no slippage and you will see boost go up with rpm, my boost claims are over what i needed for example i had a 4.0 pulley only 8psi i was seeing 10..again Pete K could of been getting belt slippage, as for hp i made about 150-180hp and going to dyno really soon, but on my stock load i made 100hp gain on 6psi of boost not bad for oil on belt.

But all in all depends on what you want and i am sure there are many happy customers of ATI, but remember you will need tuning and misc things to get it right.

Thanks Kevin
Old 03-23-2005, 12:06 PM
TBH94
Racer

Great info. That was exactly what I was looking for. If you think about it, give me an update on your dyno pull. It sounds like all and all you are pretty happy. It sounds like the 180 hp gain claimed by ATI is fairly accurate. One question for you is do you have the self contained unit? As far as lubrication. Thanks for the good info.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:20 PM
krivera
Drifting

TBH94, dont get me wrong a blower/turbo can be allot of work but with some work and time it can all be worth the money! remember when you look at hp gains ATI looks at it as % so if they say you are going to gain 50% then thats what you look for no the hp number.

But also remember my stock load was 350tpi and made good hp, but now i have a 383ci with more psi 11-12 so we will see what "%" i make and i am thinking of pulling the belt off and do just a motor run for the hell of it! lol
Old 03-24-2005, 08:21 AM
LT1Vetteguy78
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TBH94
Anybody install an ATI Procharger on a c4? "94 LT1. If so, was it evetything you expected? I want to put one on my car but want to make sure that it is worth it for $4500. Any input would be great.
I have a 1994 Lt1 Auto...I put a Procharger on it last June...It took allot of work..allot of time..and allot of money to make it run anything near what ATI claims it can run .....Definitly not worth the money on a stock LT1 motor...stay away..stay farrrrrrrrrrr away from ATI prochargers and stock LT1 motors
Old 03-24-2005, 10:30 AM
TBH94
Racer

Which procharger system did you put on your car and if you don't mind me asking, what where some of the problems you had. I am trying to gather as much info before I make a final decision. Thanks.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:15 PM
LT1Vetteguy78
Drifting

p1sc model.....and the problems would be with ATI''s claims...compared to what you get...

There is allot of after cost with ATI's Kit....Injectors, Prolly new ignition system, plugs, wires...etc......

Its crazy noisy(sounds like chirping metal)
It doesn't put out the power ATI claims
The install is no where near as easy as they tell you it is...
Its overpriced compared to what you can get with a engine rebuild

I'll break down what i paid..estimated.

4500 for kit
200 for used 42lb injectors
300 for new ignition system
50 for new plugs
150 for Boost gauge pod
900 for tuning and dyno time
2000 for labor
Old 04-13-2005, 10:58 AM
drochau
Racer

Default Procharger

Yeah it can be mega-expensive for the procharger, but in my case it turned out to be worth it. Lots of work though.
Build Up:
ECU Tuning Fuel Management, MAF sensor upgrade, dyno tune, spark plugs, wires, Rubber mount, Labor
:$1,490 +Procharger $4500=5990
Now at 390ish rwhp
Want more? add...
FAST stand alone fuel management, ignition control module, two bar map sensor, labor for install and tune
:$4,833.39
Now at 453/463 corrected, now we have LT4 compression issues, so if you want more, add...
Idle control valve, optic distributor, intake manifold gasket, FAST comm. cable and software, scan and tune FAST ECU, adjust MAF seeting to 14.7 @ idle
:$2,200.34
Not much improvement in hp or torque, but safer and fix that nasty idle
Want more? Looking for more boost? Now you have to lower the wonderful compression in the LT4, and add forged internals, and while the engine is torn down, upgrade everything, stroke it out, toss the procharger back on...
:$11,626.45
Now you're finally looking at 530ish+ rwhp, and you definently paid for it. Before you add anything else, you have to dump more cash into beefing up the drive train, and don't forget all the tires you trashed along the way. Worth it? Hard to say, I purchased the car with most everything done, total cost of making your procharger barf out 530 hp at the wheels? .....
$24,650.18
Worth it? You be the judge, seems like an awful expensive and backasswords way to get those numbers. Pretty sure even the C5 guys are investing less for their twin turbo setups. To be fair, the procharger has run through it all like a champ. Add that to the bulletproof LT4, despite having to lower the compression to around 9.2 to 1, and you have quite a reliable setup, but again, was it worth it? Know your limits, and remember, there will always be somone faster....

p.s.: The power curve doesn't peak until roughly 6k rpm, so I find that for most street applications around town, I rely on the LT4, which remember is leeching hp to the procharger until 5k, for racing. Once the boost kicks in, bye bye tires.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:13 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,098 Likes on 665 Posts

I have a ATI on an L-98 and was most disappointed with it because it could not generate 'advertised' hourse power because of belt slip. If I had to do it over, I would just have done heads and cam. Would have been cheaper, more effective.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:29 AM
ztrips
Pro

Give Greg at Blowerworks a call before buying an SC kit...

As already stated, most of the cost (and performance gain) is from tuning and setup. ATI/Vortech/(insert mass produced blower kit here) is not nearly as complete or well engineed as one design specifically for your Corvette. Greg has done some amazing stuff with blowers on vettes and his kits are COMPLETE...
Old 04-16-2005, 10:34 PM
Raheel
Advanced

Originally Posted by Flame Red
I have a ATI on an L-98 and was most disappointed with it because it could not generate 'advertised' hourse power because of belt slip. If I had to do it over, I would just have done heads and cam. Would have been cheaper, more effective.
I have a D1 unit with the twin intercoolers installed on my 1990 L-98. The motor is completely stock.

Belt Slippage was an issue though I got it under control with the spring assisted tensior aid.

Originally got it with 4.10" pulley that gave me 10 lb boost, then I replaced it with the 3.6" pulley and it goes up to 14 lbs.

It generates extra heat. I took care of it by installing a manual fan switch - pretty simple.

Even when I had the 4.10" pulley with the belt slipping, I would beat the older Z06 (2001/385) in 1/4 mile drag. Now that I have the belt slippage problem fixed and 14 lbs boost (3.6" pulley), it is a hell lot more stronger than it used to be. Have yet to take it to the strip after the pulley swap and belt slippage problem fixed...

I have more than 10K miles on it since I installed it. No real issues with the setup....
Old 04-17-2005, 12:12 PM
TBH94
Racer

I am not sure which is better, SC or the LT1 to LT4 conversion kit from GM Performance. That only cost about $3000 and claims 425hp at the crank. Thats about 360 to the wheels if you go by the 15% loss in the drivetrain. It is starting to sound like SC is more hassle than its worth. At best I get 380hp at the rear and it will cost $5000 or more. What is everyones opinion? Should I do motor work first and then blower later or just do the blower now and be done with it. SC is alot less work to install.
Old 04-17-2005, 03:52 PM
zelement
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by drochau
Yeah it can be mega-expensive for the procharger, but in my case it turned out to be worth it. Lots of work though.
Build Up:
ECU Tuning Fuel Management, MAF sensor upgrade, dyno tune, spark plugs, wires, Rubber mount, Labor
:$1,490 +Procharger $4500=5990
Now at 390ish rwhp
Want more? add...
FAST stand alone fuel management, ignition control module, two bar map sensor, labor for install and tune
:$4,833.39
Now at 453/463 corrected, now we have LT4 compression issues, so if you want more, add...
Idle control valve, optic distributor, intake manifold gasket, FAST comm. cable and software, scan and tune FAST ECU, adjust MAF seeting to 14.7 @ idle
:$2,200.34
Not much improvement in hp or torque, but safer and fix that nasty idle
Want more? Looking for more boost? Now you have to lower the wonderful compression in the LT4, and add forged internals, and while the engine is torn down, upgrade everything, stroke it out, toss the procharger back on...
:$11,626.45
Now you're finally looking at 530ish+ rwhp, and you definently paid for it. Before you add anything else, you have to dump more cash into beefing up the drive train, and don't forget all the tires you trashed along the way. Worth it? Hard to say, I purchased the car with most everything done, total cost of making your procharger barf out 530 hp at the wheels? .....
$24,650.18
Worth it? You be the judge, seems like an awful expensive and backasswords way to get those numbers. Pretty sure even the C5 guys are investing less for their twin turbo setups. To be fair, the procharger has run through it all like a champ. Add that to the bulletproof LT4, despite having to lower the compression to around 9.2 to 1, and you have quite a reliable setup, but again, was it worth it? Know your limits, and remember, there will always be somone faster....

p.s.: The power curve doesn't peak until roughly 6k rpm, so I find that for most street applications around town, I rely on the LT4, which remember is leeching hp to the procharger until 5k, for racing. Once the boost kicks in, bye bye tires.

i wouldn't recommend a blower unless you got $20-$30k to play withh if you don't do the work.

Build a badass motor and add nitrous and be done with it.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Info on ATI Procharger

Old 04-17-2005, 04:00 PM
TBH94
Racer

I am starting to think that is the best thing. Chargers seem like headaches.
Old 04-17-2005, 06:24 PM
krivera
Drifting

20-30K my lord!

I see things that could of been avoided...like a f.A.S.T system damn!
And that seems a bit steep for a stroker motor?

i got about 12K with a 383stroker and D-1 blower and runs great!
Old 04-18-2005, 08:47 AM
TBH94
Racer

Do you think there will be extra cost involved even though ATI says thier kits are complete? I called them and asked if I would need injectors or anything else. They said no. On a stock motor they say the kit is complete. And they claim 55-65% increase. It seems like most guys on this forum do not agree. Thanks in advance for any info.

Quick Reply: Need Info on ATI Procharger