C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Best engine mods for a stock L98??

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 01:19 PM
Mad-Mic
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by formul89
105mph trap speed with a stock top end TPI? Hmmm....I had larger manifold, AS&M LTR's, and other basic mods and hit 100mph tops in my '89 Formula 350 .

Sounds interesting...
you also had iron heads so your intake mods didn't benefit you as it should have. 3.23 gears and a bit looser stall helped the third gens but then again the stock suspension just sucks. with alittle work you could probably trap in the 103 range fairly consistent.

my runs are dead hook runs. no spinning.

http://www.corvettekillstories.com/p...DragRacing.wmv
Old 05-10-2005, 03:03 PM
formul89
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad-Mic
you also had iron heads so your intake mods didn't benefit you as it should have. 3.23 gears and a bit looser stall helped the third gens but then again the stock suspension just sucks. with alittle work you could probably trap in the 103 range fairly consistent.

my runs are dead hook runs. no spinning.

http://www.corvettekillstories.com/p...DragRacing.wmv
Cannot really rule the cylinder head material as a 5mph trap speed gain since they are basically the same design. I still have not heard of too many stock TPI, top end,cam,etc L98 pushing a 105mph trap. It has the torque to put out some nice 1/8 mile times (as mine did) but falls on its face after that. My '96 Z28 with a 2.73 rear, CAI and catback put out 104 trap speed and have seen most LS1's in the 106-108 range. The stock L98 TPI simply does not have enough top end HP to carry a 105 trap speed.

I still question this....
Old 05-10-2005, 03:59 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Lots of good ideas here, from long time members and noobs.

My .02 worth;

1. Pull the frisbee and buy an under drive pulley for the crank.
2. Chuck the cats and go with TIMSPEEDS Carsound/Magnaflow recommendation.
3. Don't bother with descreening the MAF or the airfoil.

Old 05-11-2005, 11:39 AM
Mad-Mic
Pro

Cannot really rule the cylinder head material as a 5mph trap speed gain since they are basically the same design. I still have not heard of too many stock TPI, top end,cam,etc L98 pushing a 105mph trap. It has the torque to put out some nice 1/8 mile times (as mine did) but falls on its face after that. My '96 Z28 with a 2.73 rear, CAI and catback put out 104 trap speed and have seen most LS1's in the 106-108 range. The stock L98 TPI simply does not have enough top end HP to carry a 105 trap speed.

isn't the first time someone questioned my car. fact is dead stock it went a best of 14.24 at 98 mph. you want to pound logistics? it's in the suspension. i owned my fair share of 3rd gens and know what the limits are. a stock C4 holds the power down better than any 3rd gen would even with LCA's, Panhard, SFC's, and Adjustable Torque Arm. while your wheel hopping i'm sticking it to the ground.

it amazes me how people can come on here and question someone's setup when others have done the same exact thing?

here is a shot of my motor when i was running 13.30's on stock manifolds.

looks pretty stock to me. with a best of 13.26 @ 103+ mph with stock manifolds on. added headers gained 1 tenth and 2+ mph in 1500+ DA more than i ran the previous best. this car has alot left in it.

i did my homework for 2 years owning this car before i even did 1 mod to it. finding out what others are doing to get the results help also. if you look closely at the engine pics you will not see any RTV, new gaskets, any other aftermarket instrument used to or add to power performance from the TB to the Oil Pan like i said earlier.

funny thing is many'o CF members at my local tracks i've ran have looked over my car in disbelief. the ones that know what takes these cars to go quicker understand it and the ones that throw parts to their cars and expect results and they don't get the same results never will understand.

you don't know me at all or you would know what this car has done to it from the vidoes i make. stall speed is 1500 MAX. you can hear it and see the tach in vids i make before the car lurches forward or spins'em over. launching at the track you can hear it bogging first due to the crap 2.59 gears in the car. if i had 3.54's and 3000 stall this car would be a low low 12 second car as she sits. but where is the fun in that?
Old 05-11-2005, 12:00 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

If you don't believe Mic's times then I guess there's no chance you'll believe that Vic'89s stock heads/cam L98 has gone 12.40 @ around 108 or that my 91 (also stock heads and cam) has gone 12.63 at 106 and change (my car has also trapped 108). BTW, both cars retain a long runner set-up (no SR or MR) and are NA. There are many Corvette Challenge racers who can verify these times
Old 05-11-2005, 12:09 PM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Mad-Mic & TA, you're just the kind of guys I admire. I'm too damn dumb to do what you've done (no experience), so I went the aftermarket route.....and paid alot (I mean dearly) to do it.

In my case, timeslips don't do anything for me all I ever wanted to do is be a holy terror on the street and enjoy the ride. But thats neither here nor there.....

Anyway, my hat is totally off to guys like you, I think its fantastic

Last edited by Red Tornado; 05-11-2005 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:13 PM
stevec4
Racer

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
3. Don't bother with descreening the MAF or the airfoil.
Sorry but I have to disagree there.

On a flow bench a screen MAF flows 515 CFM and with the screens removed flows over 700 CFM - cutting back the heatsink increase flow by another 40 CFM but due to the inherent danger of damaging the hotwire I'd not recomend the cut back.

For zero cost it's an improvement of one potential airflow restriction and when did you last see another non-GM MAF fitted with screens? Euro vehicles have never had screens fitted and as long as you run with a correctly sealed intake system and a good filter they serve no useful purpose whatsoever.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:21 PM
kopbet89c4
Safety Car

I'd just copy 65Z01. He gave me permission to do exactly that! I think he has a webpage somewhere. Thats a solid 12 sec TPI L98 bottom end with just minor bolt-ons. I see 12s soon all-motor.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:41 PM
formul89
Le Mans Master

Mad-Mic,

Don't take my questions as a personal attack, just curious as being around TPI thirdgens for 10 years but not TPI Vettes made me wonder about how that was possible. I am always open to the possbilities and was trying to get my stock head/cam L98 into the 12's myself (which is not easy on a thirdgen). The trap speeds still seem high, but if plenty of others here have done it and have verified thenumbers , then I guess they are correct.

So please excuse my newness to TPI Vettes. I am learning everything I can about them and looks like these are much better to get power out of than the 3rd gens than I expected.

Old 05-11-2005, 12:44 PM
formul89
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by stevec4
Sorry but I have to disagree there.

On a flow bench a screen MAF flows 515 CFM and with the screens removed flows over 700 CFM - cutting back the heatsink increase flow by another 40 CFM but due to the inherent danger of damaging the hotwire I'd not recomend the cut back.

For zero cost it's an improvement of one potential airflow restriction and when did you last see another non-GM MAF fitted with screens? Euro vehicles have never had screens fitted and as long as you run with a correctly sealed intake system and a good filter they serve no useful purpose whatsoever.
I removed the screens on my TPI thirdgen and drove for over 7 years and 60K miles and still on the same MAF.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:56 PM
hippy
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The first 2 big mods I would do would be a stall and headers. The first 2 little mods I would do that cost money are underdrive pulleys and K&N.
The free mods you should do are bypass the TB coolant line, remove the MAF screens, bump the TPS sensor.
I wouldn't waste the money on an intake if you continue to run stock heads. The intake isn't cheap and really isn't needed as it flows around 200cfm and stock heads only flow around 190 so they won't support much upper end rpm's anyway.
If you decide on heads, do the cam as you are 80% into what needs to be removed to do a cam switch anyway, THEN do the intake.
IMO the 2 best big money mods are stall and headers.
I just stuck these 2 things on my car this past weekend and it is a whole different car. This coming weekend it gets the heads, cam, intake and shift kit.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:11 PM
Mad-Mic
Pro

Originally Posted by TA
If you don't believe Mic's times then I guess there's no chance you'll believe that Vic'89s stock heads/cam L98 has gone 12.40 @ around 108 or that my 91 (also stock heads and cam) has gone 12.63 at 106 and change (my car has also trapped 108). BTW, both cars retain a long runner set-up (no SR or MR) and are NA. There are many Corvette Challenge racers who can verify these times
Thanks Tom i'm small fish in the sea but i bet on a 2.59 gear i'm probably one of the quickest out here. i plan on adding the AFPR thats been sitting on my workbench for 2 years soon along with the MAT relocation sensor since i'll have the plenum off. will be the first time i pulled *this* plenum off. just up until a few weeks ago i never even took the TB off. took it off to clean the TB and clean the IAC.

my goal was 12's on a stock TPI, stock stall/trans/ stock rear. i've damn near done it but am running out of time due to work. working 7 days a week and needing to find time to work on the car getting the new DR's mounted to the 11x17" rims is killing me!....lol if i don't get my slip i will hopefully pull another goal i had for the car in stock trim. 300 rwhp 400 rwtq.

MAT relocation sensor
AFPR
custom chip

and i think she's there with solid mid to high 12 second passes. only problem is i got a 388 stroker begging to be put in her. i always thought it was fun to see where the stock setup bottoms out at. i would say 12.7x @ 107-108 mph before you actually gotta crack something open. granted this is Monster DA here sometimes -1500 in the mid atlantic which equals quick ET's. i just don't feel like waiting till fall to get this dang slip....lol i wanna go 10's by fall

i've owned this vette for over 3 years and been racing her for the last 2.5 years from stock trim as she was on the showroom floor to mild bolt'on's but it's time to step up. all my friends in the Baltimore Washington D.C. area run 11's NA. tired of being slow.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:21 PM
kopbet89c4
Safety Car

Thanks Tom i'm small fish in the sea but i bet on a 2.59 gear i'm probably one of the quickest out here. i plan on adding the AFPR thats been sitting on my workbench for 2 years soon along with the MAT relocation sensor since i'll have the plenum off. will be the first time i pulled *this* plenum off. just up until a few weeks ago i never even took the TB off. took it off to clean the TB and clean the IAC.

my goal was 12's on a stock TPI, stock stall/trans/ stock rear. i've damn near done it but am running out of time due to work. working 7 days a week and needing to find time to work on the car getting the new DR's mounted to the 11x17" rims is killing me!....lol if i don't get my slip i will hopefully pull another goal i had for the car in stock trim. 300 rwhp 400 rwtq.

MAT relocation sensor
AFPR
custom chip

and i think she's there with solid mid to high 12 second passes. only problem is i got a 388 stroker begging to be put in her. i always thought it was fun to see where the stock setup bottoms out at. i would say 12.7x @ 107-108 mph before you actually gotta crack something open. granted this is Monster DA here sometimes -1500 in the mid atlantic which equals quick ET's. i just don't feel like waiting till fall to get this dang slip....lol i wanna go 10's by fall

i've owned this vette for over 3 years and been racing her for the last 2.5 years from stock trim as she was on the showroom floor to mild bolt'on's but it's time to step up. all my friends in the Baltimore Washington D.C. area run 11's NA. tired of being slow.
Your Vette is a freak of nature. I haven't descreened my MAF yet. You run a 13 @ 105 with 2.59s! I run a 13 @ 105 with 3.07s. Imagine what time you'd run with 3.07s. I'll think you can easily pull off 12s bro.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:30 PM
Mad-Mic
Pro

I'm not it's just i get tired of people saying "How is that So? I got this that blah blah and total amount of $$$ in it and it don't run squat!"

i've heard it all from "You got a stroker" to "Your spraying it" or both. cam heads, this that, hidden, you don't know if the car was actually stock when you bought it, ect. i've heard it all. i changed the stock plugs, cap, rotor, wires, and the stock AC Delco air filter. i know this car was Stock Virgin when i bought her and Tony's Corvettes of Gaithersburg Maryland went over it as if it was judged in a stock class show. mid 14 second to even low 15 second time slips prove it

there are only a handful of guys on this board that knows what it takes to make these cars run good times and keep the stock stuff intact. TA and Vic89 is 2 perfect examples. all they got on me is D44's with gears, stall converters, a few other bolt on's, and as you see a C4 L98 cars with small stalls and decent gears 3.07-3.54 ratio's they can be brutal on the street and contend with ANY other new sports car out there for a fraction of the costs. i love my 2.59's to be honest. it counters that torque till 2600 rpm and allows me to get out of the hole before she is max kackle. gonna be nice with a 388 and a 150 progressive shot

Third Gens are limited more from TPI due to the 90* angle bellows, stock iron heads, stock iron exhaust manifolds, that runs into a very small diameter 2 1/4" at best single pipe to the mufflers. the trannies aren't the same. they don't shift as hard but like i said the looser stall and alittle more gearing than a vette help motivate the 3rd Gens. also the cam grind is smaller on the Third Gen L98 cars. the air induction on a Vette is straight back no angles like 3rd gens. Vette heads are better flowing, with a *not much* bigger cam, better exhaust manifolds that are actually shorty headers, large 3 inch cat instead of 2" or 2 1/4" and the killer is about 300+ lbs. so as you can see it's easy to trap at 105 mph when your not toting 300+ lbs along with all the other drawbacks 3rd gens have over vettes.

this is why corvettes are way more superior in all aspects over little brother the FBod's

I still have my 82 Z and she is getting a 400 sbc converted to TPI with big mouth base, SLP runners, ported plenum, big cam, T56 6 Speed and 9 bolt with 3.73 gears. i see the jug down the future for the Z/28

Mad-Mic,

Don't take my questions as a personal attack, just curious as being around TPI thirdgens for 10 years but not TPI Vettes made me wonder about how that was possible. I am always open to the possbilities and was trying to get my stock head/cam L98 into the 12's myself (which is not easy on a thirdgen). The trap speeds still seem high, but if plenty of others here have done it and have verified thenumbers , then I guess they are correct.

So please excuse my newness to TPI Vettes. I am learning everything I can about them and looks like these are much better to get power out of than the 3rd gens than I expected.

Old 05-11-2005, 07:39 PM
Mad-Mic
Pro

Originally Posted by xeugep
Your Vette is a freak of nature. I haven't descreened my MAF yet. You run a 13 @ 105 with 2.59s! I run a 13 @ 105 with 3.07s. Imagine what time you'd run with 3.07s. I'll think you can easily pull off 12s bro.

thanks man! i've added a few other things since the last time out when i ran the 13.1 at 105 mph. last fall i had some code issues with a few other issues that i'm correcting now. lazy O2 sensor, not going to closed loop, and rich flags when i data log. so now i'm able to pinpoint and fine tune it alot closer now than before. hopefully by the end of the month i'll have the bugs finally worked out of her and i'll make a few passes and if i can squeeze a 13.0 or better at around 106+ mph in 75-85 degree weather i'll be damned happy!
Old 05-11-2005, 07:49 PM
4bblC4
Racer

enough arguing.....

run long tubes, but don't run 1.75 w/ your stock l98. run 1 5/8.

your tpi doesn't breath that high. you don't need 1.75" primaries.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:49 PM
4bblC4
Racer

and I don't care what 1 5/8 "looks" compared to 1.75". fact is that 1 5/8 will work much better with a stock l98.

Get notified of new replies

To Best engine mods for a stock L98??

Old 05-11-2005, 07:52 PM
kopbet89c4
Safety Car

thanks man! i've added a few other things since the last time out when i ran the 13.1 at 105 mph. last fall i had some code issues with a few other issues that i'm correcting now. lazy O2 sensor, not going to closed loop, and rich flags when i data log. so now i'm able to pinpoint and fine tune it alot closer now than before. hopefully by the end of the month i'll have the bugs finally worked out of her and i'll make a few passes and if i can squeeze a 13.0 or better at around 106+ mph in 75-85 degree weather i'll be damned happy!

Just take care of your D36. I'd say I'd limit my hp and tq to under 500 to avoid breaking stuff. BTW, I just descreened my MAF. I haven't taken it for a WOT run yet because of the rain, but I bet she would breath better on the top end.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:18 PM
Mad-Mic
Pro

Originally Posted by xeugep
Just take care of your D36. I'd say I'd limit my hp and tq to under 500 to avoid breaking stuff. BTW, I just descreened my MAF. I haven't taken it for a WOT run yet because of the rain, but I bet she would breath better on the top end.
cool man thanks. thats why i'm gonna run a progressive controller so i can adjust the shot coming out of the hole if need be. D44 is in my future i'm sure

yeah every little bit helps. i shift at 5100 rpm for the best runs.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:40 PM
Vic'89
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Anyone doubting Mad-Mic's numbers is crazy. He is about 1 of about 7 or 8 guys here that run very low 13's or high 12's with just BOLT-ON'S in a Vette.

There are many differences between a 3rd gen (Which I owned for 10 years) L98 and a Vette L98. Different intake and exhaust are 2 big factors, also my 88 Irocz weighted about 3800 lbs, my Vette is 3270 lbs. Right there is about .5 second difference in ET's.

Below are my mods and ET's:

Track Times
Bone Stock -> 13.87@98.60 MPH (60 degs , 2.0 60')
Crank Pulley -> 13.74@99.56 MPH (60 degs , 2.0 60')
DR's, TB Bypass , K&N , Air Foil , Cut Lid
-> 13.34@102.20 MPH (40 degs,1.85 60' )
Air Pump Elim , 12" GM Convertor , Ported MAF ,160 stat
-> 13.16@102.04 (65 degs , 1.76 60')
TPIS catback ->12.85 @104.90 (45 degs , 1.74 60')
Accel lower Manifold ->12.96 @105.18 (45 degs, 1.79 60')
AS&M runners ->12.81 @107.09 (65 degs, 1.73 60')
Hooker Headers + Weld rims ->12.73 @106.87 (50 degs, 1.77 60')
TPIS cold air intake ->12.57@108.39 (50 degs, 1,72 60')
-1500 DA 12.42 @ 108 MPH

Vic

Quick Reply: Best engine mods for a stock L98??