C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

EM LT1/L98 Full Length Header-GP

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 08:24 PM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 138 Posts

Any comment on how loud is it with the headers, cat eliminator extensions, and Corsa mufflers? I ordered the whole set up this week from EM and now am getting messages that it is WAY to loud for the real world. Any comments?
Old 06-09-2005, 12:12 AM
VMAX451
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jwt1603
Any comment on how loud is it with the headers, cat eliminator extensions, and Corsa mufflers? I ordered the whole set up this week from EM and now am getting messages that it is WAY to loud for the real world. Any comments?
Inside the cabin, no problem. Outside, under wide open throttle, you may want to make sure there's no cop within a 5 mile radius...
Old 06-09-2005, 07:38 AM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Wonderful. I think I'll call EM today and see if I can get the eliminators swapped out for performance cats. I live in a VERY quiet neighborhood and that would really not be appreciated.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:56 AM
FoolCrzy
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, Vince's car SCREAMS at WOT. Sounds nice, but screams. It also smells like a lawn mower.

P.S. with my Muffler Elims Mine is just about as loud, but tons of resonance. I'm still not sure what I'm goung to do with my exhaust after I install these.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:58 AM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I hope Merle hasn't shipped any of my stuff yet. That would make it a lot easier to do a swap. I hope he sells performance cats so I can get it all at one place.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:11 AM
FoolCrzy
Melting Slicks

He does sell Random Tech cats! He also sells them with extensions that will connect to the stock exhaust with a little cutting/welding. I'm goint to use Dynatech Cats on my LT4. We put them on a friends LT4, and the are very Nice. And we we able to connect it to his stock cat back with some tedious cutting and welding. It's kind of a temporary set-up until the money train comes to town.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:45 AM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

With the extension kit they say there is cutting and welding required. What gets cut and welded, the extensions or the stock/Corsa exhaust? I'd like to be able to use the OEM slip joint on the pass side and the OEM flange on the driver's side. That way I can swap out catback systems without much of a problem. Is this doable?
Old 06-09-2005, 09:16 AM
99svrcpe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this same setup- It is loud but it's not WAY TOO loud, you will turn heads. I love mine, I think it's sounds great and it's not annoying when sitting in the cab driving.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:10 AM
1996man
Melting Slicks

i cant ait to see how loud mine will be! LOL i have no cats or mufflers right now!
it may be to much! but if it is i still have my resonator and i plan on installing a couple X pipes anyway. But there has been very few cars i have ridden in with a good motor that i considered to loud. we will see chances are i wont complain
Old 06-09-2005, 10:16 AM
all4c4lt4
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We installed these on my car about 2 months ago. They fit great, and the quality of the product is excellent. I purchased the Dynatech cats from summit for $149 a piece, many here agree that the Dynatech are the same as the Random Tech cats (except the packaging is different). The Dynatechs are ss as are the RT cats.

As foolcrzy indicated, we were able to clamp the headers and cats to my factory exhaust. I don't think it took us that long really to do it, and if we could do it anyone on this forum can too. I then paid $50 to have a small leak welded closed. That's all there was to it. My cats are clamped to the headers, and the cats are clamped to the factory exhaust. Buy the ss clamps, it's worth it. If someone can host pics, I have plenty...
Old 06-09-2005, 12:08 PM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by all4c4lt4
We installed these on my car about 2 months ago. They fit great, and the quality of the product is excellent. I purchased the Dynatech cats from summit for $149 a piece, many here agree that the Dynatech are the same as the Random Tech cats (except the packaging is different). The Dynatechs are ss as are the RT cats.

As foolcrzy indicated, we were able to clamp the headers and cats to my factory exhaust. I don't think it took us that long really to do it, and if we could do it anyone on this forum can too. I then paid $50 to have a small leak welded closed. That's all there was to it. My cats are clamped to the headers, and the cats are clamped to the factory exhaust. Buy the ss clamps, it's worth it. If someone can host pics, I have plenty...
So, you didn't have to cut or weld your factory exhaust? Basically, you still have the slip joint on the pass side and flange bolts on the driver's side?
Old 06-09-2005, 12:21 PM
FoolCrzy
Melting Slicks

No, we had to cut probably a foot off the driver's side, and the add a small peice on the passenger side, if memory serves me.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:15 PM
all4c4lt4
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FoolCrzy
No, we had to cut probably a foot off the driver's side, and the add a small peice on the passenger side, if memory serves me.
This is correct. We had to cut the driver side, about 6 inches off, which was easy. Then, we added a piece from the extensions included with the headers from EM to the passenger side (we did cut this piece to fit). This piece was welded to the factory exhaust. I order the 3" cats. Everything is a slip fit, cats slip over the header collectors, and the factory exhaust slips into the cats. Everything fit very well. There are no flanges on mine, however, an exhaust shop could easily weld them on if you wanted them. With the band clamps I can drop my entire exhaust from the headers back in 10 minutes (if that) if needed.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:21 PM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Merle is easy to deal with!

OK, so I changed my mind on the cat eliminators because of the volume and EPA issues. This is three days or so after ordering the headers, the eliminators, o2 simulator, and Corsa cat back from EM. So I call Merle this morning and leave a message. He calls me back and I'm half expecting to get some grief about changing the order after the fact, you know, the usual retail store stuff. So I'm ready for this and Merle goes "Sure, no problem, we have the Random Tech cats and can make the whole thing work with the cats if you want." I almost fell over. I was ready to get the run around and this guy takes care of me! Great customer service!!! Now I really can't wait to get them on the car.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:55 PM
C4DC
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

OK, so I changed my mind on the cat eliminators because of the volume and EPA issues. This is three days or so after ordering the headers, the eliminators, o2 simulator, and Corsa cat back from EM. So I call Merle this morning and leave a message. He calls me back and I'm half expecting to get some grief about changing the order after the fact, you know, the usual retail store stuff. So I'm ready for this and Merle goes "Sure, no problem, we have the Random Tech cats and can make the whole thing work with the cats if you want." I almost fell over. I was ready to get the run around and this guy takes care of me! Great customer service!!! Now I really can't wait to get them on the car.
I am looking foreward to how loud they are with the cats/corsa setup. I heard the lt/no cat/corsa setup on a lt1 and , from outside the car, i'd say it is very loud, too loud for a daily driver and would/could bring unwanted attention from the fuzz... I'd love to get some, but only if the cats cut down on the loudness. I know the stock cats have a significant effect on sound with other setups. I don't have the
$ to burn now anyways, the wife would fry my azz if they showed up...
Old 06-09-2005, 06:26 PM
JB666
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C4DC
I am looking foreward to how loud they are with the cats/corsa setup. I heard the lt/no cat/corsa setup on a lt1 and , from outside the car, i'd say it is very loud, too loud for a daily driver and would/could bring unwanted attention from the fuzz... I'd love to get some, but only if the cats cut down on the loudness. I know the stock cats have a significant effect on sound with other setups. I don't have the
$ to burn now anyways, the wife would fry my azz if they showed up...

That's why you send them to a friend's house

I'm looking forward to it, too. I have plans on doing a few videos/sound clips once I get my car back
Old 06-09-2005, 07:01 PM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by JB666
That's why you send them to a friend's house

I'm looking forward to it, too. I have plans on doing a few videos/sound clips once I get my car back
Mine are going to my place of business...............but only because I don't want them left sitting on my doorstep till I get home.

Get notified of new replies

To EM LT1/L98 Full Length Header-GP

Old 06-09-2005, 07:08 PM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Same here.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:35 PM
FoolCrzy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by R94 LT 1
Mine are going to my place of business...............but only because I don't want them left sitting on my doorstep till I get home.

What's your address, again???
Old 06-09-2005, 08:13 PM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by FoolCrzy
What's your address, again???
Hey, FoolCrzy, if you're one of the ones that goes racing around here send me a PM. Someone offered but when I responded they never replied. Now I don't remember who it was.

Quick Reply: EM LT1/L98 Full Length Header-GP