C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

"Time Machine" On the show rides? Blue C4

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 02:50 AM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

The following users liked this post:
Ruffis (11-22-2016)
Old 06-29-2015, 01:13 PM
Ruffis
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Please Tell the Story!

Originally Posted by bill mcdonald

These photos are great! Please tell the story! I have searched far and wide on the net and haven't seen these photos.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:11 PM
SpedRacr93
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruffis
These photos are great! Please tell the story! I have searched far and wide on the net and haven't seen these photos.
Is this two different cars, or a silly-money makeover?

Body from Blue to Red, but also painted the fabbed aluminum intake components, completely changed up the serpentine drive system and for some reason... removed the windshield wipers.

Awesome car, no doubt.

Check this baby out:
Ruffis (11-22-2016)
Old 09-18-2016, 12:06 AM
Ruffis
Intermediate

Default Reunited!

The 1985 ASSC Corvette made Legendary by Craig Pai was reunited with his family today!
Attached Images  
Old 09-18-2016, 12:23 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 212 Posts

Cool story, thanks for sharing. I knew about Meaney's car years before Rides, but never knew the backstory.
Ruffis (11-22-2016)
Old 09-18-2016, 01:24 PM
steven mack
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

First Vette I ever owned Was an 85.That was many years ago. I built a special motor for it.I took it to be dynoed to a shop that specialized in Corvettes.They were using Big Stuff to tune the vettes and other high performance cars.They told me if I wanted to get the most out of my engine that I should get the Big stuff aftermarket computer.They mentioned that the guy behind the system Was responsible for a lot of the Fast programing.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:53 PM
Ruffis
Intermediate

Default Every car has a story

Originally Posted by 95wht6spd
Cool story, thanks for sharing. I knew about Meaney's car years before Rides, but never knew the backstory.
Meaney's Vette had a sister car that took a different path to different places, but they both started with Craig Pai, ASSC, and amazing people with the vision to change automotive performance history.

More of the story will be told when the sister vette now called "Legend" appears in Vette Vues Magazine in January 2017.

It's a great story about cars and family!
Old 11-22-2016, 01:14 PM
Ruffis
Intermediate

Originally Posted by steven mack
First Vette I ever owned Was an 85.That was many years ago. I built a special motor for it.I took it to be dynoed to a shop that specialized in Corvettes.They were using Big Stuff to tune the vettes and other high performance cars.They told me if I wanted to get the most out of my engine that I should get the Big stuff aftermarket computer.They mentioned that the guy behind the system Was responsible for a lot of the Fast programing.
I love hearing people's car stories! The cars we owned are a part of the story of our lives.

Big Stuff, John Meaney, ASSC, Craig Pai, and many others played a significant role in the performance technology we use today.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:25 PM
Red89gt
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I used to hang out with Craig on occasion Friday nights at Fluky's on Milwaukee and Greenwood, Byron and Photos on Saturdays in Mount Prospect. He was a great guy. I met him through Jim Summers who was stationed at NAS Glenview same time as me. Awesome times with that group and their wicked fast cars. Craig brought that vette out a lot as well as his miata that had a fast times 347 with an R trim blower. I don't have a lot of pictures because this was all unfortunately before camera phones, it was all film in the 90's. Here are some pic's of Craig's mustang that he used to tear up the Mr. Gasket series with. (Craig & Jim are behind the car to the left in ASSC jackets) I think Kenny Moss' blue LX is pitted next to Craig, that car ruled the street race scene on a stock suspension.

Last edited by Red89gt; 01-03-2017 at 03:28 PM.
Ruffis (01-16-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 01:54 PM
Ruffis
Intermediate

Default Craig Pai Information

Originally Posted by Red89gt
I used to hang out with Craig on occasion Friday nights at Fluky's on Milwaukee and Greenwood, Byron and Photos on Saturdays in Mount Prospect. He was a great guy. I met him through Jim Summers who was stationed at NAS Glenview same time as me. Awesome times with that group and their wicked fast cars. Craig brought that vette out a lot as well as his miata that had a fast times 347 with an R trim blower. I don't have a lot of pictures because this was all unfortunately before camera phones, it was all film in the 90's. Here are some pic's of Craig's mustang that he used to tear up the Mr. Gasket series with. (Craig & Jim are behind the car to the left in ASSC jackets) I think Kenny Moss' blue LX is pitted next to Craig, that car ruled the street race scene on a stock suspension.

Thank you for the information. I have been in contact with his family and had the pleasure of meeting them this last summer. I know they would appreciate any information and photos that anyone may have of his racing days. Unfortunately his daughters were young back then and couldn't fully understand it all. Now they themselves are mothers,and hopefully all of this will help his grandchildren know his story someday. I will forward this thread to his family!
CraigPaisDaughter (12-22-2021)
Old 01-16-2017, 07:52 PM
Red89gt
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Lol, Craig had a dualie pick up truck with a body kit for towing the racecars that of course had a vortech blower. Truck was faster than my fox body mustang at the time, well, for a short while. Nobody in that group left anything stock for long. Craig was a stand up guy that I am glad I got to know even though it was cut short. I miss him and Jim, always teaching me car performance and were always good to me. If I find any more pictures I will scan them in and post.

Last edited by Red89gt; 01-16-2017 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:48 AM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by SpedRacr93
Is this two different cars, or a silly-money makeover?

Body from Blue to Red, but also painted the fabbed aluminum intake components, completely changed up the serpentine drive system and for some reason... removed the windshield wipers.

Awesome car, no doubt.

Check this baby out: C4 1700 HP Corvette. 427 SBC. Awesome, from Nelson Racing Engines. NRE TV. - YouTube
I do believe it is the same car.
I just find the cool stuff. I don't keep up with stories.
I did have some pics somewhere that showed the blue car getting pulled apart. The one mag article way back in the day said the car has AC, but the pics did not show a compressor, so I assume he went back to get that running. Dual MAP sensors and coatings etc... but it is the same stuff under the hood. Look at the radiator and intercooler. Same stuff. Intake box is the same, which the original article said he spent a lot of time with working on that piece to get it right. They did not just build a box and call it good.
I think that article hit the stands in something like nov of 2001? SO would it be so much that 10-15 years later he tears it down again?

Last edited by bill mcdonald; 01-18-2017 at 01:01 AM.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:31 PM
Ruffis
Intermediate

Default Information and memories about Craig Pai and his racing days

Originally Posted by Red89gt
Lol, Craig had a dualie pick up truck with a body kit for towing the racecars that of course had a vortech blower. Truck was faster than my fox body mustang at the time, well, for a short while. Nobody in that group left anything stock for long. Craig was a stand up guy that I am glad I got to know even though it was cut short. I miss him and Jim, always teaching me car performance and were always good to me. If I find any more pictures I will scan them in and post.
Thanks for the photos and stories. His son-in-law said that his daughter loved the pictures of her dad standing by the Mustang! These stories mean a lot to his family and I enjoy hearing them too! Please continue sharing stories and photos!
Old 01-28-2017, 08:21 PM
ghlkal
Safety Car

Received 491 Likes on 392 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Ruffis, thanks for sharing these stories. It's great to have people in this hobby who understand the importance of the "story" and endeavor to keep it alive.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:06 PM
Ruffis
Intermediate

Default The story must be told!

Originally Posted by ghlkal
Ruffis, thanks for sharing these stories. It's great to have people in this hobby who understand the importance of the "story" and endeavor to keep it alive.
I agree completely! There are so many great automotive stories out there that stop being told. There are many great cars still out there who have been disconnected from their story. I love hearing people's amazing car stories. This story was unique because most stories about long lost cars are about the old owner searching for it. In this case the car found its way back home with the help of people who never knew its original family.

The return of this car helped ease painful memories of a family who lost the father of 6 beautiful children, who was far too young when he died. A widow who was treated badly by people she trusted. Beautiful grandchildren who never got to meet their grandfather or be part of his amazing automotive accomplishments.

The car finding it's way back seemed to change the ending of the story into an amazing reunion. The grandchildren are now included in a new magazine story featuring their grandfather's car, they now have a connection. (Vette Vues Magazine January 2017 issue).

I got to meet an amazing family and become part of their story!

This is just one car, imagine how many stories have yet to be told.

My father built a custom Harley chopper in the late 70's and early 80's. That bike made the cover of Easy Rider magazine. Then he needed money and sold it. I wanted to surprise him by finding it again, but he died right before Christmas in 2014 at age 63 and I never got the chance. I found this Corvette 5 months later. What I couldn't do for my father, I helped do for a different family.

I made up a little saying when I first found the car and I still believe it: "Cars are more than just specs and build sheets, they are part of the story of our lives!"

The story of Craig Pai, ASSC, John Meaney, LRS, the beautiful Pai family, Corvette Fever Magazine, Vette Vues Magazine, and everyone else involved with this car has been an amazing one!
Old 01-30-2017, 08:01 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by ghlkal

Even though I'm just now learning about. Was still in Elementary in 05, looking at DuPont Registry magazines in class
Old 02-01-2017, 12:00 PM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

I remember this episode. What a cool car. Troy Trepanier was building Joe's "Sick Fish" Cuda I believe...

Quick Reply: "Time Machine" On the show rides? Blue C4