C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Power steering leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 05:02 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Power steering leak

(93 LT1)

I have a leak at the fitting coming right out of the top of the pump and just behind the PS pulley.

It started at the track last Friday, my guess is due to the fluid temps (isn't everything?). The pump is not whining, so I don't think it's dying, and the fitting is tight. When the o-ring in the pump goes, is this were leaks happen?

I still have PS and there's plenty of fluid in the resevoir, but it's spraying fluid down the driver's side of the block. I don't want it getting on my tires or rotors.

Anyone have this happen before or know what needs replacing? I don't see any cracks in the line at that point, but that doesn't mean they're not there.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:05 PM
RichS
Le Mans Master

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

The line is cracked where the Jamb nut holds the line. I broke 4 hoses there. Contact DRM. They sell a kit for $100 that replaces the line with a braided steel line. I've done a few events and it is holding up great.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:08 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RichS
The line is cracked where the Jamb nut holds the line. I broke 4 hoses there. Contact DRM. They sell a kit for $100 that replaces the line with a braided steel line. I've done a few events and it is holding up great.
Cool, hopefully that's it. I haven't had a chance to take it apart yet.

Any recollection of how much the stock line was?
Old 08-09-2005, 06:37 AM
RichS
Le Mans Master

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

Stock line is around $70 from GM. If you autox or road race the car, get the DRM line otherwise your just waisting your time and money because you will be doing it again, and again.......
Old 08-09-2005, 07:30 AM
Topload
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RichS
Stock line is around $70 from GM. If you autox or road race the car, get the DRM line otherwise your just waisting your time and money because you will be doing it again, and again.......
Old 08-09-2005, 08:53 AM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Also check the rack-to-resovoir pipe. It's a common leak area and can be hard to detect upon initial inspection. That's where mine leaked on my '92 and it frustrated the **** outta' me trying to track it down the first four months I owned my Vette
Old 08-09-2005, 10:40 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

It appears to be the "power steering gear inlet pipe" fitting up by the pump itself that's leaking. Hopefully that's the one you guys are talking about.

I had a line crack once before, but I took it to a shop and didn't pay attention to which one it was. I saw the crack and it was right at the fitting...sound familiar?

As soon as they're open I'm calling Rippie.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:10 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

You bastards, DRM sold out! He mentioned he's sold more of these lines in the past three weeks than the last three years. Why didn't you guys save me one?

They're drop shipping a kit from the supplier that makes it straight to my house. Guess I'll install it this weekend.

Thanks for the tip, I won't be replacing this line again.

So the next question is this: how much of a PIA is the installation? Looks pretty tough to get at the PS gear.

Get notified of new replies

To Power steering leak

Quick Reply: Power steering leak