C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

383. Build it or buy it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 06:04 PM
kopbet89c4
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 383. Build it or buy it?

I see the typical self built budget 383 would cost me about $5000-$8000 quoted by several machine shops around town. That means buying a 350 block, getting the 400 crank, clearancing it, getting new rods, pistons, rings, bearings, bolts, seals, gaskets, and other misc stuff. That should be from $2500-$4000 easy in parts, saying that I'd like a long lasting reliable 383. I'm gonna add another large sum of money to pay for the machine work that is beyond my league. That should be another $2000-$4000 in labor in a well known, honest machine shop.

Yet, I can see myself buying the above ZZ383 crate motor from GM for $4000, pulling my motor out and slapping this in, adapting my SRI intake on it, plus another $50 for another chip burnt from Alvin. That should be a lot cheaper than building an old 350 to a 383.

I'm sure I should be getting many mixed responses, but somehow I'm leaning on just getting the crate motor and calling it a day.

One more question... Will my SRI intake bolt on directly to the ZZ383 crate motor using the GM Fastburn heads?

Another thing, I'll still be using my D36 and 700R4 and not dead hooking until I can get more money to build the tranny and get a D44 instead and swap it in.

Last edited by k0rv3tt389; 08-17-2005 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:16 PM
Monkeynutz
Advanced

If you know how to do just about everything that needs to be done, and you have the money.. build the thing.

Otherwise, If you want it and you can't handle the process and you've got enough money then have it put in for you.

Basically.
Personally, I love to do everything myself. I'm going to rebuild my engine next year. I also want to put in a six-speed, If that's possible.

Last edited by Monkeynutz; 08-17-2005 at 06:18 PM.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:23 PM
Zix
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The ZZ383 is a nice motor, I've been working with for a couple weeks now...and it is quick, but unless you're on a very strict budget I'd go with a nicer higher compression forged (preferably) 383.

Check here for a shortblock;

http://dynoflow.substorm.com/short_b...eetpro_383.asp EDIT: just so you know they have a 434 shortblock for almost the same price

or you've got these guys on Ebay;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SBC-E...6423QQtcZphoto

Either one of those will give you a great bottom end. And they save you the hassel of dealing with machine work and assembly. Get some decent ported heads (or have yours ported if you have the 113 castings), a cam and you're pretty much done with the major stuff!

Last edited by Zix; 08-17-2005 at 06:27 PM.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:58 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to have the fun of building (and freaking out if it will work or not) of a motor. Do it!

If you want to just drop it in and be able to call someone else when something goes wrong, order the 383.

If you want it done now, order it.

If you don't mind your vette being out of commision for a while, build it.

Mind you, the average self-builder does so for three reasons. Its cheaper, its fun, and you know its done right. However it looks like you are going either local shop or zz383. I would just buy a crate with a warranty.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:50 PM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by USAsOnlyWay
Mind you, the average self-builder does so for three reasons. Its cheaper, its fun, and you know its done right. However it looks like you are going either local shop or zz383. I would just buy a crate with a warranty.
this can be quite incorrect, and probably more often than you might care to imagine. lots of experience must be had to have some level on confidence that its "done right". sorry to sound a bit harsh, but who are you going to turn to when it all goes up in smoke after turning the key?

sorry, but i really don't think that just because someone does it themselves, that it done right at all.......not saying anything at all about the original poster, but holy smokes this is not the kind of job for just any "average" person.....i would venture to go out on a limbs and say it would take SEVERAL engines to have any level of confidence AT ALL

Last edited by Red Tornado; 08-17-2005 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:01 PM
dock351
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

i had no experience in engine building at all. My main goal was to learn how to do it. I pulled my engine and found a place to bore it out to a 383 and put in a forged rotating assembly for $1800 (RPM in Evansville Indiana). I had my 113 heads worked on by Bob at Precision Porting. I put it all together, including the rear end upgrade to a D44, and had the tranny upgraded. Cost a ton of money altogether. I had to buy probably a thousand dollars in tools. Lots of freaking out! Lots of joy! Im sure spent more than if i had gone crate... Now, 10 months later, it still needs tuning. Would I do it again or go with a crate? Well, no. Not on my own. If it wasnt for a lot of people here on the CF, I would have failed. Am I glad i did it? Yes. But this project is not for the faint of heart or of pocketbook.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:01 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Rod 90
i would venture to go out on a limbs and say it would take SEVERAL engines to have any level of confidence AT ALL
"i would venture to go out on a limbs and say" it is going to take a long time to get to "SEVERAL engines" until you start with the first one.

RACE ON!!!
Old 08-17-2005, 09:08 PM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

true, but would you do it if there are other pressures, plus the prospect of spending ALOT more cash.....i'm only stating this and being pessimistic for the benefit of the original poster.......based on all his other threads I've read. i simply don't believe its good advice, given the situation, and the fact that he depends on his vette every day. this is NOT the time to play experimentation.

if i'm mistaken in this case, then i'm all ears.

if this was just a fun project kind of thing, then i agree 100% with building it yourself. this is not the case with many on this board, so doing it yourself would be the LAST choice in those many cases, like this one.

the cost of building is going to be ALOT more than buying a new crate motor. with the mileage thats on his motor, there are many parts that very well should be replaced, much of it in the "while you're at it category". LOTS of surprises come up too. to think otherwise is setting yourself up for heavy disappointment, extra added frustration, and not to mention a nightmare of funds shortages likely to occur. the original post has a girlfriend that can't contribute financially for a year. what is he going to do when suddenly another $3 grand is needed? (oh and it most likely will). how about an engine failure that he wasn't ready for? seriously, ist all fun and games to say - yeah do it yourself! - but i'm afraid this is thrown around a little too often.

anyone disagreeing with what i just just said can have it at

Last edited by Red Tornado; 08-17-2005 at 09:19 PM.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:22 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
"i would venture to go out on a limbs and say" it is going to take a long time to get to "SEVERAL engines" until you start with the first one.

RACE ON!!!
Or as the old Chinese proverb goes, "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." Actually I have no idea if that's Chinese or not! But THAT'S not the point! I'm just a hard-headed old wrench-turner and my pride won't let me allow anyone else to build an engine for me. But everyone should decide what is most cost effective and practical for them. Still though, I must confess that I feel like Dr. Frankenstein whenever a new engine comes to life. For me there's nothing like it.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:25 PM
kopbet89c4
Safety Car

I'd pick the 434 for a couple hundred extra over the 383 but my D36 wouldn't like it very much. Or maybe I'd just put a super large head on it to make the bottom end torque suffer a bit while amplifying top end. Somewhat like what a Supra twin turbo does, semi-gentle on the start, but a mercilessly brutal top end. I'd make sure my tires are not drag radials so at least I would have less of a chance of sudden snapping. I would also limit my 60' times to 2.1 and then get it on WOT. If only I can have a D44, I would, but they are just about non-existent in Central Fl, unless someone wrecks a car with one, God forbid this happening .
Old 08-17-2005, 09:33 PM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

look, seriously, the other guys really do mean well, they are awesome to this forum and i'm quite positive great people to boot.....from everything you've ever posted on here, putting it all together, i really think you'll be MUCH less pressed -- for this car at this stage of the game -- to buy a 383 and be happy. put your full SR on top, get a chip tune, and you'll be lightyears ahead.

it doesn't sound to me you're too hip on at least several months downtime (does your reputable local machine shop have time to do the work NOW on your block? i doubt it - we're in the middle of racing season! read: they are VERY busy).....

save the experimentation for your next vette (or whatever it may be).....the budget is more set in stone with a purchase.......with a build you've got alot of variables, and trust me your bank account is set to take a much bigger whallop than you ever plan on -- i'm serious when i tell you 2.5 - 3 times what you think it will be. this is not a joke.

this is my .02 as i'm only trying to look out for you.....you can laugh at me, thats no problem. but i'm speaking from the heart, and trying to be as straight as possible, given YOUR situation, as I know it.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:00 PM
kopbet89c4
Safety Car

the original post has a girlfriend that can't contribute financially for a year.
Not anymore, she is long gone and I've become a playa?!?!

I just owe my mother a lot of money because we have a condo in Celebration, FL that we bought, the dumb tenants just left without notice, and now both of us are splitting the $2000 monthly payment until we get some other people to rent it. So instead of the $2000/monthly I earn, I keep $1000 extra for myself.

Oh and -$200 the share of the monthly house electric bill, -$200 for eating fast food and elsewhere almost everyday of the month (lunch and dinner), -$50 for good beer, cola, and other good stuff for friends who hang out with me, -$50 for clubs, bars and tipping waitresses in various restaurants and bars.

I'm left with $500/month. Hopefully I can start being civil about what's left and not spend it all on other unnecessary "cool" gadgets, not limited to the tiny laptop I just bought from Best Buy, Neodymium super magnets from Ebay and YAG lasers, and other stupid catalog instant impulse buys from sporting goods and hobby magazines.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:09 PM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

look, seriously, the other guys really do mean well, they are awesome to this forum and i'm quite positive great people to boot.....from everything you've ever posted on here, putting it all together, i really think you'll be MUCH less pressed -- for this car at this stage of the game -- to buy a 383 and be happy. put your full SR on top, get a chip tune, and you'll be lightyears ahead.

it doesn't sound to me you're too hip on at least several months downtime (does your reputable local machine shop have time to do the work NOW on your block? i doubt it - we're in the middle of racing season! read: they are VERY busy).....

save the experimentation for your next vette (or whatever it may be).....the budget is more set in stone with a purchase.......with a build you've got alot of variables, and trust me your bank account is set to take a much bigger whallop than you ever plan on -- i'm serious when i tell you 2.5 - 3 times what you think it will be. this is not a joke.this is my .02 as i'm only trying to look out for you.....you can laugh at me, thats no problem. but i'm speaking from the heart, and trying to be as straight as possible, given YOUR situation, as I know it.

I agree that any project cost 2 to 3 times what you budget for. However, decide what is best for you:
a. Crate motor
b. Build your own

Personally I try to do almost everything myself, sometimes I spend a little more, but 99.99 percent of the time the work I do is right. I am not batting so well on the stuff other people have done for me. I never go to someone just because of price. I try to ask around and get some good references however; I have been bitten by crappy work. At least if I screw it up I don't have to hunt someone down.

In my experience assembling an engine with a block that was prepped by a good machine shop is pretty easy and the cost of plastigage and a couple of micrometers is not so high. So if it was me I would tell you to do what you’re comfortable with.
Mike

Get notified of new replies

To 383. Build it or buy it?

Quick Reply: 383. Build it or buy it?