C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Should I get it (supercharger question)?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 09:22 PM
TheCorvetteKid
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Should I get it (supercharger question)?

Hi everyone,

I need a little bit of "expert" advice, especially from those who have experience with superchargers. More specifically, Paxton superchargers.

I just met someone who is selling what he says is a complete Paxton supercharger that was pulled from an '89 Corvette (which, incidentally, is the same year as my car). I haven't seen the unit yet, but from what I've been told, it comes with everything required for the installation - the supercharger itself, all the piping and tubing, brackets, pulley (good for 9lbs. of boost), air filter, etc. The only thing is that the supercharger itself needs rebuild kit because the bearings are "shot". Beyond that, I don't know anything else about this kit (ie. model number, mileage, etc...). But like I said, I haven't seen it yet.

This guy originally bought the supercharger intending to bolt it up to his '86 Camaro, but has decided against it for fear that the supercharger might blow up, destroying his freshly rebuilt motor. He also said that it would be a major PITA for him to retrofit this kit into the Camaro. So rather than deal with it, he's decided to sell it instead.

He want's $300 (that's right three hundred dollars) for the whole kit as it is. Considering that it requires a rebuild kit (about $150) to replace the shot bearings, what do you guys think - is it worthwhile to buy?

I personally think this is a great deal, and I've always wanted to install a Paxton Supercharger on my '89. But I'm not an expert so I don't know what to look for. Nor do I know what else I might need besides the rebuild kit (there was no mention of electronics, an EPROM module, water injection system, etc...), even though the seller insists that the kit is complete. So I am turning to you all for some guidance.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by TheCorvetteKid; 08-18-2005 at 09:45 PM.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:46 PM
Bruce
Melting Slicks

$300 I say buy it. All you have to do is to have it rebuild. Still worth the $
Old 08-18-2005, 09:47 PM
lead foot 85 vet
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

read ,,,,,read ....read....all the archives....just about everything been debated on this forum...the early paxtons did have bearing failures(ball bearings) so it could happen again.....what model is it?....anyway $300.00 snap it up.......but remember...your crossing the line to a more complex system and it's not turn key like some of the other supercharger systems built for a specific year corvette. good luck with it........by the way I had my procharger p600b rebuilt by procharger for about $1,100........$150.00 might be alittle low
Old 08-19-2005, 06:23 AM
TheCorvetteKid
Drifting

Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses.

I have no idea what model number this supercharger is - all I know is what this guy has told me over the phone. I didn't realize that the early Paxton models had problems with bearing failure. Like I said, I'm no expert on the subject. But that's a real eye opener for me - I always thought that the Paxton setup was very reliable. I will definitely look through the forum's archives and see what I can dig up.

As for the price of $150, that was what the guy selling the charger said the rebuild kit (mainly new bearings) was going for. I haven't verified this for myself yet. Of course, this didn't include any labour to rebuild the unit. I'm sure that the price would easily be 4 or 5 times that much if I where to send it to someone to have it rebuilt.

I think I will be taking a trip up to see this guy after work today. If everything looks to be in order, I may just buy the kit.

Thanks again guys!
Old 08-19-2005, 08:59 AM
SuperL98
Drifting

Received 376 Likes on 253 Posts

Look here for the $$$$ for parts and rebuilds.
Best place for early Paxton rebuilding.
http://www.paradisewheelsinc.com/?wh...r_repair_order

With the stock Paxtons, SN89, SN93, SN2000 ball drives superchargers, you will only see about 5 psi on a 350 v-8.
With the modified impeller (+$100 on rebuild) you might see 6 or 7.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:39 AM
SLOWRIDE
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a bargain. Good Luck keep us posted.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:18 PM
TheCorvetteKid
Drifting

Originally Posted by SuperL98
Look here for the $$$$ for parts and rebuilds.
Best place for early Paxton rebuilding.
http://www.paradisewheelsinc.com/?wh...r_repair_order
Actually, I was checking out the Paradise Wheels site a few hours ago. The majority of the site seems to still be under construction, and I didn't notice any prices listed. But I will check the link you've just posted here. Thanks!
Originally Posted by SuperL98
With the stock Paxtons, SN89, SN93, SN2000 ball drives superchargers, you will only see about 5 psi on a 350 v-8.
With the modified impeller (+$100 on rebuild) you might see 6 or 7.
That's what I thought too, but this guy says that the pulley on it is good to 9psi. Again, I'm no expert and seeing as I haven't seen the unit yet, I can't comment either way. But I will say that 9psi does sound high to me, especially for an early Paxton unit.

I was supposed to go and see the seller today, but bad weather around the Toronto area worked against me. So I've made arrangements to go by tomorrow afternoon. The cash is ready, so if I like what I see, then I'm going for it.

I will definitely let everyone know what happens.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:06 PM
TheCorvetteKid
Drifting

Hi again gang,

Well I just picked up that Paxton Supercharger kit that guy was selling!

It seems fairly complete, although I think there might be a few things missing. But most of the major parts are there: the supercharger itself (an SN89), a couple of large brackets, an idler pulley, 3 different sections of intake ducting (one has the water injection nozzle in it), a MAF sensor, ribbed/grooved serpentine belt, water injection pump with lines and filter, shims/washers/nuts/bolts/spacers, K&N filter, hose clamps, support rods, etc...there's alot of stuff in this box he gave me. He even gave me a HUGE Vortech fuel pump too (a big annodized blue cylindrical unit)! All for the bargain basement price of $300! I personally think it's a steal.

I will try to take some pictures and post them soon to give you all a better idea of what I actually have. Hopefully, some of you can help me to determine what some of the stuff is and what I might be missing.

Last edited by TheCorvetteKid; 08-27-2005 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:47 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Congrats on the blower! Even if it needs a few things its still worth it! Do your research and enjoy your newfound power! Main thing with the Paxton is making sure it has an adequate oil supply
Old 08-27-2005, 12:07 PM
TheCorvetteKid
Drifting

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Congrats on the blower! Even if it needs a few things its still worth it! Do your research and enjoy your newfound power! Main thing with the Paxton is making sure it has an adequate oil supply
Thanks cuisinartvette!

You're right - all the research that I've done so far points primarily to bearing failure in these old SN units. But I will continue looking for more research matieral. Strangely enough, it's difficult to find information on these older Paxton units - especially for TPI/L98 cars (but there's tons of info for the Mustang crowd though). I thought these kits where alot more popular...

Regardless, I have a feeling this is going to be one WILD adventure into some serious horsepower by the time I'm done.
Old 08-28-2005, 12:47 PM
TheCorvetteKid
Drifting

Hi again everyone.

Sorry about the delay in getting pictures posted - my brother lent our digital camera to his girlfriend for the evening yesterday.

But now that I've got the camera back, here's the Paxon Supercharger kit that I just picked up (there's alot of pics here, so wait for them to load-up).

Here's what was in the box when I first got it home:

Here's everything pulled out of the box and spread out to get a better idea of what I have:

This is the serpentine belt, K&N fillter, and one of the intake ducts:

This is the other intake duct. Obviously, it goes into the throttle body. Take note of the water-injection fitting and hose:

Here's the GIGANTIC Vortech Marine fuel pump! I have no idea how much fuel this thing can move, but I'll bet it's A LOT:

Lots of once high-polished mounting brackets, support rods, spacers, idler, bolts, etc... I want to try and bring back that wonderfull high-polished finish:

Here's the water-injection pump, along with it's hosing and in-line filter:

This is one CRAPPY MAF sensor. I have no idea what it's off of, I definitely won't be using it:

And, of course, the Paxton Supercharger itself. It's a Paxton SN89 ball-drive head unit. It's got a Carroll Supercharging (now Blower Works) style pulley on the output shaft. Notice the absence of the oil dipstick and cap:

Here's the bin-o-parts that I haven't been able to figure out yet. Lots of bolts, washers, some shims, etc...:

Last edited by TheCorvetteKid; 08-28-2005 at 01:21 PM.
Old 08-28-2005, 01:12 PM
TheCorvetteKid
Drifting

Here's some more pics:

Here's a close-up of some of the spacers, the idler pulley, support rods, and hardware:

Here's the business end of the charger. Keep your fingers out of that impeller!

This thing is the size of a basketball!!! No weight reduction here, that's for sure!

Last edited by TheCorvetteKid; 08-28-2005 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:33 PM
SuperL98
Drifting

Received 376 Likes on 253 Posts

Hello again (TheCorvetteKid) I guess we crossed paths on both forums today
Not many places people are interested in these old Paxtons
I have a Carroll kit, installed almost ten years ago.
I've long lost any instructions and have modified my kit over the years.
Some pictures of mine are here:

From what I can see, from your pictures, yours is a Paxton kit (not Carroll).
Reasons, water injection design is different, no boost byepass valve, Paxton had fuel booster and FMU - Carroll did the fuel in the chip programming, mount bracket designs look the same but Carroll is labelled as his not Paxtons.
Other info, looks like you have the standard boost impeller (grey anodized) the high boost in Red anodized (but looks pink).

Some of the "big" parts I see missing:
Brackets to relocate hood strut support to passenger side.
Inner fender shield to make room for the blower (metal).
Inner fender (top) shield to cover cutout you have to make in the upper fender liner, more room for the blower.
Another filler piece that covers the cutout you will have to make in one of the under hood fiberglass braces, again for blower clearance.
Yes you have to cut into the hood
These parts are probably still in the original car.
Wire harness to extend the alternator relocation.
I believe there was a different thermostate housing and hose to clear the blower tubing also.
Lot's of small stuff like check valves for pcv, water injection boost switch, but Blowerworks still carries most of this stuff in their catalog.
It is all going to add up to some decent $$$$.
Also I wouldn't bother with the complicated fuel boost pump installation, just get a decent chip burned.
You should anyway for timing changes at least.
I don't see any FMU in your pictures anyway (missing?).
If the stock pump you have isn't enough, just upgrade to an in tank Walbro.
Guess that's all I see for now.
Good luck
Old 08-28-2005, 07:56 PM
TheCorvetteKid
Drifting

Hi again SuperL98.

WOW!!! Your engine bay looks absolutely amazing! I just love the way these old Paxton superchargers look next to a TPI C4 engine. They just look like they belong there! I can only hope that one day, mine might look almost as good as yours.

I didn't realize I was missing so many items from this kit !

But, I'm not surprised that some of the items you mentioned are missing. Remember, the guy I bought this kit off of was intending to install it on his '86 Camaro, so things like the hood support relocation bracket, fender shields, and hood filler piece would have been no use to the guy (and believe me, if I knew where the '89 that this kit came from was, I'd be hunting down that owner right now). As for the FMU, the guy didn't give me one (and to be fair, I didn't ask for it. Heck, I didn't even know what an FMU was until yesterday) so we'll both have to assume that it's missing. But, do I need one if I go with a custom-burned chip once the system is installed?

And you're right, I think alot of the small stuff that's missing is probably still available from Blower Works. On the bright side, with all those items you've listed, it looks like I'll get to start my Christmas list early this year.

I plan on replacing the impeller that it's in the superchager with the pink upgraded one. I have to rebuild the supercharger anyway, and for the $100 that Paradise Wheels wants for the upgraded impeller it's worth it. You (and Paradise Wheels) said that it's worth 1.5psi of boost, so I might as well.

I don't think I will use that massive Vortech fuel pump. I'd much rather take your advice and change my in-tank fuel pump to a Walbro unit and take care of the fuel delivery with a properly programmed chip.

Thanks very much for all the information - I really do appreciate it. You're right, there aren't too many people left that are interested in these old Paxtons. But for what it's worth, I've always thought they where a great supercharger, and I can't wait to get mine installed and running right.

BTW - beyond some of the obvious visible changes, what modifications have you made to your supercharger setup (if I can ask, of course)?

Last edited by TheCorvetteKid; 08-28-2005 at 08:16 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Should I get it (supercharger question)?

Quick Reply: Should I get it (supercharger question)?