C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Datalogging For Optimum Octane Level

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 09:47 AM
Atok
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Datalogging For Optimum Octane Level

Has anyone here done any datalogging specifically to determine the minimum octane level you can run in a stock LT-1 ('95 / '96)? I mean the minimum octane level before detonation and the PCM pulls timing.

I'm thinking GM recommends high octane fuels more for safety reasons. If you run your engine hot (like stock LT-1 fan settings) higher octane will help control detonation. So since I changed my fans temps and my car runs cooler than stock I'm thinking I can drop my octane level to save $$$ and improve performance slightly.

What are your thoughts? Any experience out there?

Old 09-03-2005, 10:01 AM
Alvin
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05

To be honest with you the best time in my LT1 when I was NA and stock short block was a 12.54 with 87 octane.

the LT1's are pretty forgiving especially compared to alot of other things. If you do decide to try it just remeber to watch your knock counts and understand that you may need less timing.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:39 PM
Atok
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Alvin. Time to do a few tests I think. I went through all my datalogs running 91 octane and haven't see a single knock count so I think there's room there.
Old 09-03-2005, 04:09 PM
nixit[dallas]
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

remember, the lower the octane, the better the combustion.
87 burns hotter, faster, and cleaner, which is why it has more potential for detonation.
93 burns cooler, slower, and dirtier.

87 will actually help prevent deposits on the valves and pistons as well.
but of course, your chance of detonation increases exponentially the lower you go.
If you have problems passing emmisions, running 87 should be your first step to passing.

If you are WOT a lot, i wouldn't even think of running 87.

For all the data logging i've done on 87 through 93, i've never seen knock under normal daily driving / cruising conditions. I think you'd need to decide how you plan to drive your car the majority of the time.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:59 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

When my 87 was stock, it ran ok on 87. With a Hypertech chip it had to have at least 91. The fact is it got better fuel milage with the Hypertech so $$wise it was a wash. If you could bump up the timing and still get good mileage on cheap gas without pinging you could come out ahead.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:13 AM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

I datalogged a friends 94 LT1 while he was running 87 octane. The car was in a constant state of spark retard, even at idle.

Get notified of new replies

To Datalogging For Optimum Octane Level

Quick Reply: Datalogging For Optimum Octane Level