C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Got a SPEC clutch?? Come on in...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 11:19 AM
~db~
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got a SPEC clutch?? Come on in...

I know this is probably a subject that has been beaten like a dead horse, but I'm in process of purchasing a SPEC stage 2 and SPEC ALUM FW and wanted some feedback from those of you who may be currently using it or have in the past. I'm unsure if I want the kevlar clutch or full organics. I know carolina clutch offers a good stage 2 (fully organic) as well with the fidanza FW..both equally priced. A little unsure of which direction I'm going to go...input appreciated. Thanks!!
Old 09-06-2005, 11:50 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ~db~
I know this is probably a subject that has been beaten like a dead horse, but I'm in process of purchasing a SPEC stage 2 and SPEC ALUM FW and wanted some feedback from those of you who may be currently using it or have in the past. I'm unsure if I want the kevlar clutch or full organics. I know carolina clutch offers a good stage 2 (fully organic) as well with the fidanza FW..both equally priced. A little unsure of which direction I'm going to go...input appreciated. Thanks!!
Don't know--just remember that SPEC has a very bad name here on the forum now due to quality problems. I personally would not get one.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:01 PM
ericcer
Drifting

The stage 2 is what I have with aluminum FW. I had a balancing issue which they paid for the rebalance. I bought mine about 2 years ago.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:18 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

JMHO unless you are running obscene power levels or a track only car use the stocker.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:47 PM
95PoloVert
Burning Brakes

Just a heads-up...you can pick up the Fidanza FW on eBay for $325 brand new...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fidan...QQcmdZViewItem

It must be match-balanced with your current FW before installation.

Sorry I'm no help on the clutch...
Old 09-06-2005, 03:31 PM
vettmike
Burning Brakes

I have had good luck with SPEC, when I had problems they took care of them very quickly.

There after sales support is much better then Center$%&^@.

vettmike
Old 09-06-2005, 03:34 PM
FD2BLK
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Ran a spec stage three and had a bad P/P (Veleo makes all ZF P/P so it was not a Spec problem) and Spec customer service was the best I have ever had the pleasure to deal with. My next clutch will be a Spec they earned a customer for life with outstanding service.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:45 PM
~db~
Pro

Thanks for the responses guys...but your not helping me! A lot of mixed experiences which I expected to find, but was hoping I'd see more positives on the SPEC products. I know sometimes there is a bad apple in the bunch and accidents can happen but the balancing of the flywheel is what concerns me. The guys at SPEC say that their flywheels are all balanced to match the factory weight offset so if the motors a stocker, there shouldn't be an issue As far as the match balancing of the flywheels goes, GOOD LUCK. I've called all around here (tampa,Fl) and have had ZERO success finding anyone that can or is able to do this. Hate to take a chance but may have to....
Old 09-06-2005, 06:02 PM
Trog
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the stage II w/ kevlar. I had a flywheel balance shop check it & they also couldn't tell me much about it's "match" to my stocker... So, I installed it. I've got about 3 or 4K miles on it & it is fine. It was a little grabby at times (shudders) when trying to ease into the garage but I've learned to deal w/ it. Otherewise, I'm quite happy with the setup. I've now had the car at the drag stip, several autox events, long trips & dd to work on occasion. Is that a positive enough feedback?
Old 09-06-2005, 09:38 PM
d48mclain
Racer

Originally Posted by Trog
I have the stage II w/ kevlar. I had a flywheel balance shop check it & they also couldn't tell me much about it's "match" to my stocker... So, I installed it. I've got about 3 or 4K miles on it & it is fine. It was a little grabby at times (shudders) when trying to ease into the garage but I've learned to deal w/ it. Otherewise, I'm quite happy with the setup. I've now had the car at the drag stip, several autox events, long trips & dd to work on occasion. Is that a positive enough feedback?
I won't go into tremendous detail but Spec basically just buys and resells clutch type equipment. They are resellers and don't make anything. Frankly it appears they really don't know the in's and out's of the C4 even.

After receiving the wrong thickness billet flywheel and a dual ceramic disk that chatted to beat hell and very fed up with most aftermarket companies in general, I ended up suing Spec. They were hard to deal with, seemly uniformed and wouldn’t back up their product. Even after suing them and telling them what was needed, they sent the same wrong thickness flywheel twice and a disk that didn’t even come close to being nearing as good as a stock disk.

The market-up they charge is over 100% of wholesale so there is a very, very heavy profit margin on their products due to branding and and endless market of people whom aparently don’t know better.

I currently work with a local shop that actually knows what they are doing. Recently purchased a brand new Valero pressure plate (all C4 pressure plates are made by Valero..ALL!) for $175.00, had my clutch disk resurfaced with dual ceramic for $85.00 (good as new………. Or better) and bought a brand new dual mass flywheel(Luk makes them for GM… ALL!) for $550.00. FYI……A billet single mass billet would have cost me less than $220.00 as Spec only buys them and charges a very handsome markup.

The heavier dual mass is much easier launch during daily driving and I specified a fine grit dual ceramic disk that does not chatter and holds during a 4000+ launch. Basically the best of both worlds and it cost me about half of what it would cost if I ordered it from Spec………. and it works!

In a nutshell, what they offer is nothing that anyone with a little street smarts can’t get for less. Not recommended by any means.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:51 PM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
JMHO unless you are running obscene power levels or a track only car use the stocker.
Omigod do i ever agree with this

I made the ugly mistake of having a Fidanza FW installed (with a Carolina Stage II kit) and it made my life driving the vette quite miserable. I couldn't have hated that setup more if my life depended on it

I had it all yanked out in favor of a brand new dual mass FW ("only" $625 from Carolina Clutch, which is about the best deal in town), and I can say with 100% confidence thats its MUCH better, no.....a HELLUVA lot better as a daily driver.

Last edited by Red Tornado; 09-06-2005 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:56 PM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Originally Posted by d48mclain
......and bought a brand new dual mass flywheel(Luk makes them for GM… ALL!) for $550.00...
whoah there thats a good price......where can I get a new Luk DM flywheel for $550? I'll want this for future reference!
Old 09-07-2005, 12:04 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 568 Likes on 443 Posts

I installed a spec stage II with fidanza flywheel on my 93.

15,000 miles after my first clutch install, peelouts, auto-Xing, drag racing, road-course racing, 155+ top ends, etc, I have no problems and still have a new clutch feel.

The people who seem to have all the problems with spec got a stage III.

The stage II seems to be fine on the LT1 cars

Not a bad decision on my part.

The lightweight flywheel is noisy when under a load, but quiet when not.

My big annoyance is I have to downshift more for hills and such with it. However, it pays off in reduced weight (acceleration).

THe dual mass flywheel is easier to launch, but once you get used to the fidanza, you'll do just as well.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:14 PM
~db~
Pro

I made the ugly mistake of having a Fidanza FW installed (with a Carolina Stage II kit) and it made my life driving the vette quite miserable. I couldn't have hated that setup more if my life depended on it

I had it all yanked out in favor of a brand new dual mass FW ("only" $625 from Carolina Clutch, which is about the best deal in town), and I can say with 100% confidence thats its MUCH better, no.....a HELLUVA lot better as a daily driver.
Ya..you must be the guy Tom and I talked about. I heard you had all kinds of problems. That sux bro, I'm sorry to hear it wasn't a straight forward install. All the input here is appreicated. I'm convinced on the alum flywheel because of 2 main reasons (and one IS NOT price). Reduced rotating mass means faster revs/more useable HP at the rear wheels and less weight on the end of the crank which will extend the motors possible longevity and wear/tear. I was just hoping to hear more good than bad or vice versa so I could make a decision. You guys seem to be split. It does appear tho that I will go with the Fidanza FW as opposed to the SPEC and grab a clutch kit from either Carolina or SPEC resellers. Thanks!!
Old 09-07-2005, 02:20 PM
LT4BUD
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looking at your signature, I see

"Custom cold air intake w/ dual K&N filters"

Not to change direction of this thread, but I would be very interested if you would post photos or describe what you have done....

Old 09-07-2005, 03:54 PM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ~db~
Ya..you must be the guy Tom and I talked about. I heard you had all kinds of problems. That sux bro, I'm sorry to hear it wasn't a straight forward install. All the input here is appreicated. I'm convinced on the alum flywheel because of 2 main reasons (and one IS NOT price). Reduced rotating mass means faster revs/more useable HP at the rear wheels and less weight on the end of the crank which will extend the motors possible longevity and wear/tear. I was just hoping to hear more good than bad or vice versa so I could make a decision. You guys seem to be split. It does appear tho that I will go with the Fidanza FW as opposed to the SPEC and grab a clutch kit from either Carolina or SPEC resellers. Thanks!!
I'm not the only guy who hates that setup The install, per my mechanic, was perfectly straightforward. Install wasn't the problem. Living with it was the problem. It was an awful experience. A battlegallactica of rock noises, lame launches, LOUD LOUD LOUD, annoying to the hilt. The revs are the one nice pro, for me all the rest is all cons.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:59 PM
Zix
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just so everyone knows, the SPEC flywheels have been vastly redesigned because of the issues they previousy had. I had one of their originals, and I got one of the new designs when I was putting my new engine together...here they are side-by-side...the old FW is on the right, the new FW is on the left...you can see the new FW is very different...

I never had a problem with the original FW, but I wanted to replace it just in case...

Also, here is a pic of their new Stage 3+ friction disc, as you can see it's a full face disc to allow smoother engagement, but it's made of some kind of metallic fiberish stuff (my scientific analysis)...I have about 1000 miles on it and it's a very impressive setup, and they rate it at 850lb/ft of torque.

Get notified of new replies

To Got a SPEC clutch?? Come on in...

Old 09-07-2005, 06:45 PM
~db~
Pro

Zix...awesome info thanks!! I will make sure that If I get the SPEC FW, I will go that route.

LT4Bud, as far as the cold air goes, I have cut out a portion of the radiator shroud equal to that of a K&N filter. Installed some screening where shroud material was then cut the bottom of the factory air box to the size of the filter and replaced the metal portion with the filter. RTVed completely to keep air from sqeeking by then installed the top of the air box with a K&N replacement filter. Of course the top of the box has been trimmed as well. Benefits are immediately noticed as cold air shoots up through both filters, engine sucks what it needs and the rest of the incoming air passes over the engine compartment NOTICEABLY cooling my temps by 3-5 degrees depending. Similiar to the vortex setup except it only cost me an extra filter. I was bored one day what can I say
Old 09-10-2005, 10:08 AM
96CERon
Instructor

Default Fidanza and Stage 2 clutch

I installed Fidanza and stage 2 clutch in my LT4 from Carolina. DO NOT put it in without having the flywheel match balanced to the old dual mass. An engine builder with a Windows based balancing system can do the job. FYI--There is a warning right on the Fidanza about balancing to the old flywheel. You will just get to take it out again due to severe engine vibration no matter what Tom at Carolina says.

I have no drivability problems what so ever. It revs faster. I do have have gear rattle at idle and resonance under load below 2K rpm. I would do it again.

BTW, the clutch springs go the flywheel side. My clutch disc was miss stamped!

Don't use the flyweel bolts and washers in the Carolina kit. Order the bolts and hardened washers from ARP--Summit.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:09 PM
~db~
Pro

Great info 96CEron. That's what I was looking for. I just wish I could find someone down here to match balance my flywheel. I've called everywhere with no success. I guess i will continue to look.

Quick Reply: Got a SPEC clutch?? Come on in...