C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Mechanic referral in Atlanta, prefer south side

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 11:24 AM
redragtop
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mechanic referral in Atlanta, prefer south side

Any folks that can offer me a referral to a qualified mechanic to repair my '92 I'd appreciate it.

The car will start, run for 10 seconds, then it'll start spitting and sputtering (tach goes crazy) and die after 15 seconds. I changed the fuel filter last night; didn't help.

Changing the fuel filter alone was a project, especially considering it's a vert...had to remove cross bar to make access, if you want to call it that.

Mike
Fayetteville, GA
Old 09-13-2005, 05:45 PM
Googan
Burning Brakes

Hey, I live right around the corner from you in Peachtree City. I took my 84 to a shop in Sharpsburg. Its called R and J automotive. He works on earlier C4's and 3rd generation Trans Ams. You are probably interested in a shop specializing for your car but you may want to give him a call 678-776-8214. Ask for Ron. Good luck
Old 09-13-2005, 05:49 PM
redbullapril23
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tom jumper chevy... but thats in roswell and a bit of a drive for you.
but i highly recomend. Ask for david or roman to fix the care they are brilliant!
Old 09-13-2005, 09:51 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by redbullapril23
tom jumper chevy... but thats in roswell and a bit of a drive for you.
but i highly recomend. Ask for david or roman to fix the care they are brilliant!
Are you talking about David Fulcher? If so,he is THE MAN down there.
He used to post on here some time back and I used to email him personally and he always helped me out in any way possible.He also was a tech writer for one of the corvette magazines years ago.I lost touch with him but just wanted to point out he is probably one of the best out there that can ever lay hands on your Vette.Im sure the guys he works with are just as knowledgable.

Old 09-13-2005, 11:59 PM
redbullapril23
Drifting

not sure but i know he is a vette master tech!
and the go to guy!
Old 09-14-2005, 10:09 AM
Zidane
Le Mans Master

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Yes it is David Fulcher at TJ, and Roman works with him. Ive delt personally with Roman and he does great work.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:25 PM
redragtop
Instructor

Default Time for professional help

Thanks all.

Let me see if I understand, “brilliant”, “THE MAN”, “go to guy” and “does great work”… I don’t know as if I’ve ever heard such strong adjectives used to describe a mechanic!

I usually try to perform all my own maintenance. I’ve changed the fuel filter and tested fuel system. It appears to be operating within specs. Some years back I installed an aftermarket Optispark. I suspect it has failed. I’m kicking myself now, that’s a PITA job. Nevermind, without the special tool, which I didn’t buy, to install water pump shaft through timing cover, you end up with oil leak. Uhg.

Perhaps it’s time for professional help… I’ll give TJ a call.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:32 PM
redbullapril23
Drifting

Old 09-14-2005, 05:04 PM
frank j. moran
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill's86Coupe
Are you talking about David Fulcher? If so,he is THE MAN down there.
He used to post on here some time back and I used to email him personally and he always helped me out in any way possible.He also was a tech writer for one of the corvette magazines years ago.I lost touch with him but just wanted to point out he is probably one of the best out there that can ever lay hands on your Vette.Im sure the guys he works with are just as knowledgable.

And he is as honest as they come, he also is not a parts hanger, excellant diagnostic skills. You won't go wrong. Frank
Old 09-14-2005, 06:23 PM
redragtop
Instructor

Default Scheduled for service

I took y'alls advice and arranged for a tow truck to transport it to TJ tomorrow.

Thanks for the input.

Mike
Old 09-14-2005, 07:09 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Don't forget to tell us the outcome. We all learn a little when we read those before and after stories. And good luck!
Old 09-15-2005, 10:05 AM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by Zidane
Yes it is David Fulcher at TJ, and Roman works with him. Ive delt personally with Roman and he does great work.
Both Fulcher or Roman can take care of you.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:12 PM
David-F
Drifting

Mike;
I need a little more info and history on the car. The problem you have right now was easy to fix it lloks like hoses were replaced and when they were coolant was washed down on to the distributor and on to the connector coolant leaked past the weather pack seal and filled up the connector and took out the high resolution signal the cause of the short running and check engine light. Cleaned out connector and now is working fine. Let me know

David Fulcher
Old 09-16-2005, 01:56 PM
Zidane
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by David-F
Mike;
I need a little more info and history on the car. The problem you have right now was easy to fix it lloks like hoses were replaced and when they were coolant was washed down on to the distributor and on to the connector coolant leaked past the weather pack seal and filled up the connector and took out the high resolution signal the cause of the short running and check engine light. Cleaned out connector and now is working fine. Let me know

David Fulcher
See thats what I mean. These dudes know everything about the vettes!!!
BTW: I was up there at TJ yesterday and again, they performed great work.
Old 09-16-2005, 05:39 PM
redragtop
Instructor

Originally Posted by David-F
Mike;

David Fulcher
For your benefit, and those others who asked me to keep them informed, I had to replace the water pump and optispark probably two or three years ago. The original distributor was ok, I replaced it because I was nearly there and understood it to be reaching the end of it's expected service life. As posted previously, I made the mistake of installing an aftermarket one. It never performed as well as the OEM. Most rpm it developed was 4200. For me and my wife, that’s fine; but IIRC, it’s supposed to turn up to 5700 rpm.

Last year replaced radiator, belts and hoses. I, with my limited mechanical abilities nor the special tool required, was never able to successfully install that water pump shaft seal without that nasty little oil leak. Took it to a local garage last year, said they were experienced with the LT1 in local sheriff patrol cars. So I took him at his word. Turns out, he didn’t have the special tool needed to install water pump shaft either; still have nasty little oil leak. Uhg. He did, however, install an OEM distributor cap. Had to be the most expensive cap I’ve ever bought.

I asked Vladimir to go ahead and fix it right this time. The plan is to replace distributor, wires, and new oil seals. Inspect for coolant leakage; somehow that coolant got into the distributor. Could it have gotten in there last year when I changed the hoses; maybe, took a long time to manifest itself though. Granted, only drive the car 2k miles a year or so…also, while you’re at it, I’ve never changed the plugs (5 years, 10k miles). If they need changing, while you’re there, please do.

Mike
Old 09-16-2005, 06:59 PM
redragtop
Instructor

Originally Posted by redragtop
The plan is to replace distributor, wires, and new oil seals. Inspect for coolant leakage
Hey David, I was thinking, I recall seeing on the board that many folks install the '95 Opti that isn't as susceptible to moisture. Can we do that?
Old 09-22-2005, 02:28 PM
redragtop
Instructor

Originally Posted by LT4CompYell
Don't forget to tell us the outcome. We all learn a little when we read those before and after stories. And good luck!
You asked...picked up the car yesterday. David did a fine job, car runs like brand new.

Thanks David.

Get notified of new replies

To Mechanic referral in Atlanta, prefer south side

Old 09-22-2005, 02:42 PM
Zidane
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by redragtop
You asked...picked up the car yesterday. David did a fine job, car runs like brand new.

Thanks David.
Good to hear !!!!
Old 09-22-2005, 02:59 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

David is the man
Old 09-22-2005, 11:40 PM
Flyingboy
Instructor

Ditto the Tom Jumper recommendations. I also live in Fayetteville, Ga. There really isn't a good source for Corvette parts/service here on the south side of Atlanta. I always end up driving northbound for my Vette needs.
Tom Jumper has dealt with more Vettes by far than any other source in the metro area.

Quick Reply: Mechanic referral in Atlanta, prefer south side