C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Horrible Gas Mileage...Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 05:32 PM
Achilleus07
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horrible Gas Mileage...Help!!!!

I have a 96 LT4....so I filled up my tank full Sunday...its wednesday and I had to fill up again. I havent been gunning it or nothing. Running on the interstate to work in fifth and sixth gear. I had half a tank and went to reserve in one day going 50 miles. Im confused. When I went to fill up it made a loud hissing noise for a long time out of the gas vent before I opened it. Do I need to let the fumes out by venting the gas tank on a normal basis? Is that my problem? I only have a stock LT4 with corsa exhaust and just put on my open air box yesterday so I dont know if that could be it either....Help guys please.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:10 PM
tigmaned
Pro

sure some one isn't taking it out at night, never know with $3.00 bucks and up a gallon!! if you had a leak you should smell gas?
Old 10-12-2005, 07:09 PM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Sooo what is your average MPG?Can't answer your question without it.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:18 PM
LT4BUD
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=Achilleus07] Running on the interstate to work in fifth and sixth gear. .............When I went to fill up it made a loud hissing noise for a long time out of the gas vent before I opened it.QUOTE]

The hissing noise sounds normal...

On the interstate you should be pushing if not exceeding 30mpg......

Your are not explicit about what you are doing, but you should be in 6th gear on the interstate not 5th when you are cruising along.....the stock LT4 will run just fine at low rpm and deliver great economy..

Old 10-12-2005, 07:18 PM
swifty
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm afraid it's broken - sell it to me cheap and I'll take care of it for you.

Seriously, if it were running rich enough to make a VERY DRAMATIC difference in gas mileage you would notice the poor running condition. I'd suspect a leak first and theft second, unless you park in a very vulnerable spot at night - then I might reverse that order.

Have you considered a failing guage? Maybe you have more gas than it indicates, and it's not a fuel problem after all. Of course then it would be an electronic guage problem - I don't know which I'd dread more.

The hissing when you remove the cap is a good thing.

Post the actual mileage, look inside the tank with a flashlight, check for leaks where you park / when it's running, and good luck.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:32 PM
tigmaned
Pro

wow LT4 have 330 horse power and you still get over 30 MPG highway!! thats great!!!
Old 10-13-2005, 02:05 PM
Achilleus07
Racer

Im going to run over all the gas lines and everything today....I do smell some gas I dont know maybe I have a line leak....or maybe its just fumes we will see. Im running in fifth and sixth gear....mostly interstate driving and it still says im pulling 13 mpg....im thinking my gauge is messed up. Not alot of stopping nothing....sixth gear cruising at 70. When I do go slow im not peeling out....just regular driving...more interstate than city. We will see....im going to check the lines.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:33 PM
Lichen
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pull one of your sparkplugs and see if it's black. Also could be a bad O2 sensor - they don't always throw a code. My last tank, I got 11.8 city. It's back in the shop now for a free new chip and I told them to go ahead and replace the original O2 sensor.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:57 PM
Dartvader
Instructor

If either of your O2 sensors are delivering less than .5 volts at stoichiometric (14.7:1) then the computer wil richen up the mixture because it thinks the mixture is lean. This is a fairly common condition, and a cheap one to fix. If you have a shop with a tail pipe sniffer that can read A/F mixture, take it in and have it checked. If not, the spark plugs are a fairly good reading. They should be a soft grey/white, or perhaps off red color depending on the gasoline additives in your area. If they are black, and sooty looking, then you are probably running rich. Of course problems with other sensors can cause this as well. If your air intake temp sensor is bad, it could keep you are in warm up mode all the time. which also be quite rich.

I would put a locking gas cap on, and run a real MPG check, and do the math before I got too upset. And yes, the LT-1/LT-4 engines are pretty amazing when they are right. All that torque, and 30MPG's highway too.

Last edited by Dartvader; 10-13-2005 at 04:02 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Horrible Gas Mileage...Help!!!!

Quick Reply: Horrible Gas Mileage...Help!!!!