C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Coolant leak driping on exhaust manifole!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 06:06 PM
Strike3
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Coolant leak driping on exhaust manifold!

I'm getting a lot of smoke (or maybe steam) off the left exhaust header. I have a 1987 coupe with a new engine. I have installed TPiS headers. Upon investigation with a flashlight while the engine was running, it appears that the coolant is driping off the back of the header flange (Between the head and the flange). Some of the lower head bolts are wet and there is a significant puddle under the car after a few minutes of running.

Do the exhaust manifold bolt holes in the head extend into the water jacket? I used anti-sieze compound on all bolts but I didn't use any sealent. Can anyone think of some other explination of where the water would be coming from,,,,runing down the back of the header flange?
Old 11-06-2005, 09:38 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

that would make me wonder if a head bolt is loose or if there is a crack in the head.

on the right side, there is a small coolant hose... also, check to be sure the intake isn't leaking.

in short, this does not sound good at all.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:06 PM
Strike3
Burning Brakes

My thoughts exactly, bogus! I'm pretty sure all the head bolts are tight. I could see droplets of coolant driping from the header flange onto the lower head bolts. There is a small leak around the thermostat housing, but it doesn't look like enough to match what I am seeing run down the headers. My worst fear is a cracked head behind the exhaust bosses. I guess I'll have to remove the left header and see what's up. Like you said, It can't be good....
Old 11-07-2005, 07:20 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I'd bet on the infamous intake manifold gaskets.

RACE ON!!!
Old 11-07-2005, 09:00 PM
Strike3
Burning Brakes

What would I look for to determine if it is the intake gaskets?? Would I see water running out the exhaust or something?? I have had one sucking air before on a carburated car and it exibited rough, uncontrolable idle.

Help me out here CFI-EFI.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:13 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Check the plugs... there is coolant being sucked in.

if you are seeing coolant on the intake, it's the intake.

Also, check for oil leakage front and rear.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:45 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
I'd bet on the infamous intake manifold gaskets.

RACE ON!!!
Clean it all off and run it for awhile, you'll find it. More than likely trickling behind the intake up against the block where you may not be able to see it.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:56 AM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Strike3
What would I look for to determine if it is the intake gaskets?? Would I see water running out the exhaust or something?? I have had one sucking air before on a carburated car and it exibited rough, uncontrolable idle.

Help me out here CFI-EFI.
It is leaking water to the outside. Therefore, it may not be leaking vacuum to cause a bad idle. A very careful inspection is your best bet. The intake manifold gaskets are a common source of coolant leaks on the L98 engines.

RACE ON!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Coolant leak driping on exhaust manifole!

Quick Reply: Coolant leak driping on exhaust manifole!