C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

what is this i hear about nitrous leaking into intake?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 06:01 PM
A BirdMan Converted
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is this i hear about nitrous leaking into intake?

"Upgrade your Progressive Nitrous Control System with one of these safety application kits. What these kits do is give you an extra nitrous solenoid and hardware to plumb into your existing nitrous system. They reduce plunger wear in the regular nitrous solenoid, thereby extending their life and reliability. Also, they close line pressure and prevent nitrous from building up in the intake manifold when the ignition is turned off, preventing unwanted fireworks under the hood and engine destruction when the ignition is turned back on. "

what? someone explain how this works and why the solenoid you get with kit needs replacement/assistance to save your engine??
Old 11-13-2005, 06:54 PM
redbullapril23
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is just a safety measure where the nitrous line is run in series though 2 solenoids thus lowering the chances on n20 leakin into the manifold. but it would be my understanding that if u have a purge to purge the lines clean with bottle shut off and there would be no chance of that happening.

but if you are runnin the n20 and the solenoid fails and n20 comes into the manifold without fuel and not at wot... good bye engine.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:57 PM
zelement
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by A BirdMan Converted
"Upgrade your Progressive Nitrous Control System with one of these safety application kits. What these kits do is give you an extra nitrous solenoid and hardware to plumb into your existing nitrous system. They reduce plunger wear in the regular nitrous solenoid, thereby extending their life and reliability. Also, they close line pressure and prevent nitrous from building up in the intake manifold when the ignition is turned off, preventing unwanted fireworks under the hood and engine destruction when the ignition is turned back on. "

what? someone explain how this works and why the solenoid you get with kit needs replacement/assistance to save your engine??
Nitrous leaks into the manifold if you leave the bottle on for an extended amount of time. leaving on the bottle like that is never recommended. you will reduce the life of your solenoid by freezing them. with our vettes you can just reach back there and turn on the bottle any time you want to hit it so you don't need what this company is trying to sell you.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:01 PM
neat
Melting Slicks

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

If you leave the bottle open while the car is parked overnight, the nitrous solenoid can not reasonably be expected to maintain itself against 1000+ psi indefinitely. A slow N20 leak past the noid into the intake, over the course of several hours, could result in a catastrophic start up due to a built up charge of nitrous in the intake.

2 solenoids will take the long term abuse better than 1.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:01 PM
neat
Melting Slicks

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

If you leave the bottle open while the car is parked overnight, the nitrous solenoid can not reasonably be expected to maintain itself against 1000+ psi indefinitely. A slow N20 leak past the noid into the intake, over the course of several hours, could result in a catastrophic start up due to a built up charge of nitrous in the intake.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:49 PM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by A BirdMan Converted

Don't believe what you see and none of what you hear and nothing of what you read!

A picture is worth a thousand words

www.mrp.org/mayphoto05/dsc_0837.htm

This is in the staging lanes waiting to run 2nd round of competion.
The NX system is 5 mths old and the system runs two 10 lb bottles.
The bottles were turned on just after pulling into the staging lanes and about 10 minutes at the tops had passed,but that was enough time to
blow about 5 lbs of nitrous into the plenum and when I hit the key boom game over .NX checked the solenoid and addmited it failed and said sorry.One front end and motor later she is almost up and running .
Old 11-15-2005, 07:23 PM
~db~
Pro

Dude that sucks!! I'm truely sorry to see that happened. Good luck on round 2 and don't give up!
Old 11-16-2005, 12:52 AM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just to let you know everyone said, that dude won't be back.
One of my best friends said to them don't count him out he is a racer from way back.
I showed up the next day with my 94 which can just make the time for the summit sprotsman class and I won $500.00 and the trophy.

Get notified of new replies

To what is this i hear about nitrous leaking into intake?

Quick Reply: what is this i hear about nitrous leaking into intake?