C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

LT-4 knock module

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 01:54 PM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 199 Likes on 134 Posts

Default LT-4 knock module

How do you know if you need the knock module? I put headers on my LT-1 car so it's obviously a little louder but how do I know if it is sending false knock to the ECM and retarding the timing? Is there an easy way to tell?

The car doesn't exhibit any overt signs that the timing is being changed. Just a little bit of a burp backfire on part throttle shifts occaisionally is the only difference with the headers. Otherwise feels nice and strong.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:56 PM
lt4red
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will have to run some kind of data logger connected to your car while running to see if any knock is being picked up and the timing retarded. A speed shop equiped with the right software could do this or there are various software makers out there that make software to interface with your computer. Some allow you to make changes(the expensive ones) and some just show you what the car is doing and do not allow any changes.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:14 PM
MYCoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts

Headers alone probably don't warrant an upgrade to the LT4 knock module. GM used it mainly for the extra valvetrain noise generated by the roller rockers.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:23 PM
Hotred94
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 11-24-2005, 09:09 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Can someone explain what the LT4 knock module does? I searched awhile back and found several threads but nothing that really tells it's purpose or how it works.

Does it simply desensitize the ECM to knock picked up by the knock sensors? Is there a reason to upgrade an older LT1 car (which has 1.6 RR, headers, and a timing problem) to the LT4 system, and what does that entail?
Old 11-24-2005, 09:49 PM
Zix
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
Can someone explain what the LT4 knock module does? I searched awhile back and found several threads but nothing that really tells it's purpose or how it works.

Does it simply desensitize the ECM to knock picked up by the knock sensors? Is there a reason to upgrade an older LT1 car (which has 1.6 RR, headers, and a timing problem) to the LT4 system, and what does that entail?
In essence it is just a less sensitive module. They put it in the LT4 because of the extra noice associated with the valvetrain, specifically the rocker arms. The less sensitive knock module made it less prone to detect "false knock". If you upgrade an LT1 it is always a good idea to throw in the LT4 knock module to be sure the ECM doesn't pull any unnessesary timing.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:02 PM
NEVERL8
Drifting

Received 252 Likes on 114 Posts

[QUOTE=ScaryFast]Can someone explain what the LT4 knock module does? I searched awhile back and found several threads but nothing that really tells it's purpose or how it works.

Does it simply desensitize the ECM to knock picked up by the knock sensors? Is there a reason to upgrade an older LT1 car (which has 1.6 RR, headers, and a timing problem) to the LT4 system, and what does that entail?[/QUU

Under ideal conditions the burning fuel in a combustion chamber propogates as an even wavefront from the spark plug to the face of the piston, pushing the piston down. Knock occurs when the fuel begins to self ignite at other places in the combustion chamber, creating secondary wavefronts that collide with the primary coming from the spark plug. This creates instantaneous high pressure spikes in the combustion chamber resulting in audible noise and mechanical vibration. In the extreme condition the piston, connecting rod, crank and other rotating parts begin to self destruct from these vibrations.

The knock module is designed to recognize these vibrations and retard the timing to stop the pre-ignition (knock) condition. I am not sure about this but I believe when GM put in the roller cam and rockers in the 96 LT4s they found that the mechanical harmonics of the valve train sometimes fooled the knock module into thinking their was combustion chamber knock. They cteated an LT4 knock module that fixed this problem. They were able to discriminate the difference between spark knock and valvetrain noise, and revised the firmware in the knock module.

I had a 95 LT1 that I upgraded to roller rockers and LT4 valve springs. I installed the LT4 knock module at the same time. I do not know if it made any difference since I did not take a baseline timing scan before nor a post installation scan later. The module was $35 so I figured why not.

The module fits into the ECM mounted over the battery on the drivers side. It is easy to change. Disconnect the three ECM connectos, pull out the ECM, open it up and you will see the knock module.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:55 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Originally Posted by NEVERL8
The module fits into the ECM mounted over the battery on the drivers side. It is easy to change. Disconnect the three ECM connectos, pull out the ECM, open it up and you will see the knock module.
Bummer. I have the older style computer (black plastic, 4 connectors) so I don't think I could add one.

Actually, I don't think it would actually help as I have real knock, not false knock from the rockers.

jwt - sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your post. Did you check your timing with some datalogging software?
Old 11-25-2005, 05:11 AM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 199 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
jwt - sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your post.
It's all related.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:22 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jwt1603
It's all related.
Just like people in West Virginia

Get notified of new replies

To LT-4 knock module

Quick Reply: LT-4 knock module