C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Engine swap to Northstar?

Old 12-06-2005, 12:13 PM
tholm1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new rwd northstar engine found in the new LR/SRX/STS share engine mounts with the LSX family of engines. Rememeber that the new vette shares a platform with the XLR. I think using a salvaged engine out on an XLR or the crate engine from GMPP would make it a swap similar to the LS1 swap discussed on the forum a while ago.

I believe the hardest part of the swap would be getting the aftermarket ecm required to control the VVT to talk to the factory pcm to retain all the functions of the pcm. This should be just as challegning as wiring up a FAST or Accel system, and thats been tackled here before too. They only problem I can think of would be generating an optispark signal from the northstar to keep the pcm happy.

I'm waiting for GM to offer the new STS-V supercharged northstar as a crate engine.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:12 PM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

While you're at it GM has a "shiftable" automatic that would bolt up to the Northstar. It might be easier (and more funto drive) than adapting a 700_R or 4L60-E.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:59 PM
mrgrimes
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does any one know if the tranny to bell housing bolt pattern on the V6 Chevy is the same for the 4+3 bolt pattern? From the pictures that I’ve seen it looks like it.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:11 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by rons85
This car is a Daily Driver - averaging about 100 miles each and every day. There are now 210,000 miles on it. The bottom of the motor is untouched, the Heads and Cam have over 100K on them. It's GOT to be tired. I would Like to think it was now making about 300 hp - probably that's optimistic, considering the time the heads have on them. Even like it is there is enough to play with that I'm not feeling left behind. It's a Driver!

Well, if you decide to do this conversion, it won't be a driver any more.

It will be what is known as a project car, and will never be reliable or dependable again. It will become a high-maintenance, poor hours-spent-wrenching-to-hours-spent-driving ratio conversation piece.
Been there done that.

Just so you know what you are getting into....

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
Rope drive? I'm aware of a chain drive Mack truck, but I've never heard of a vehicle with a rope drive.

RACE ON!!!
Think "mid-sixties Tempest".

Larry
code5coupe

Larry
code5coupe
Old 12-06-2005, 05:12 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
Rope drive? I'm aware of a chain drive Mack truck, but I've never heard of a vehicle with a rope drive.

RACE ON!!!

Think "mid-sixties Tempest".

Larry
code5coupe

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine swap to Northstar?