C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Are the doors hard to get in to on a '92?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2001, 11:23 AM
NeedSpeed
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are the doors hard to get in to on a '92?

Both of my doors need to be opend up. My driver side door window sticks real bad and won't open in heat (it will when it's cold). The passenger side hadle also lost a screw and is loose.

How bad is it to get into the doors? Will I ever get them back together?

Old 08-03-2001, 12:59 PM
91-Z07Coupe
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Are the doors hard to get in to on a '92? (NeedSpeed)

It's very easy to get them on and off. Take out all the screws along the bottom of the panel. Then there is a screw half way up each side. Take the two screws out of the little cup under the door handle. In the door handle area there are three screws you must remove. One of them is right in front of the door handle. To get to the second one, carefully pop out the light cover and you will see the screw behind it. The third one is actually behind the door lock slide. Stick a flat blade screwdriver under the lock slide and pry up. The plastic cover will pop right off. You will then be able to see the screw. That's all for the drivers side. The passenger side has one more you have to remove. Carefully pry out the Window switch and you will see a little screw that has to come out. You will need a 7mm socket to remove that one.

That's all there is to it.
Old 08-03-2001, 01:43 PM
jwade91
Racer

97-Z07COUPE is right on for the door panels. The PITA is going deeper into the doors. I recently replaced my window regulators on both sides. If that ends up being the problem, I'll be glad to try to give you some pointers. The rule of thumb I use when taking something apart for the first time is -- if it doesn't come off easily, there is another screw hidden somewhere.

The upper part of the door panel just hooks over the top. Good luck.
Old 08-03-2001, 01:56 PM
91-Z07Coupe
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Are the doors hard to get in to on a '92? (jwade91)

The inner panel that the door handle and locking rod is attached to is a little difficult to get out. You have to unscrew all the bolts holding it on (10mm I think) And then you have to detach the locking rod from the door lock and the opening rod from the latch. Then you have to slide the whole assmbly forward and slide it up or down into the door until you can get either the top or bottom of the panel to come out. Then you can work it the rest of the way out.
Old 08-03-2001, 02:37 PM
Breezy
Instructor

Thanks to Needspeed for asking and Z07 for answering. I have a loose door handle also.
:seeya
Old 08-03-2001, 03:42 PM
NeedSpeed
Le Mans Master

Excellent! That doesn't sound nearly as bad as I thought it may be.

I was afraid of all those little plastic tabs that never seem to go back together right.

I'm not sure how deep I need to go in the drivers side. If it gets bad, I'll be sure to let jwade91 know!

Thanks all.

Get notified of new replies

To Are the doors hard to get in to on a '92?

Quick Reply: Are the doors hard to get in to on a '92?