C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

musty smell from hvac system

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2001, 02:58 PM
viii
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default musty smell from hvac system

I have an 85 with 48k miles. within the last year or so, a musty odor has developed in the hvac system. I've heard that trapped moisture might have caused this. Any suggestions on how to clean the system are appreciated. Thanks. :confused:
Old 08-03-2001, 03:32 PM
Springer's LT4
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Default Re: musty smell from hvac system (viii)

Its normally mildew or mold that starts to grown within the evaporator core. They do sell stuff that can be sparyed on it to clean it out.. I know Chrysler makes some and i'm sure other companys do also.
Old 08-03-2001, 04:50 PM
AlexS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes they make the stuff which in essence is a can of Lysol. However, Lysol is much cheaper and comes in an array of refreshing smell.

step1: turn on the HVAC to vent from outside air.... spray 1/4 can of lysol into the vent intake from the outside of the car where the wriper motor tranny is.... then turn it off... wait 15min to 1/2 hr... then turn on the ac and blow it all out...

step 2 repeat step 1

at this point you should still have 1/2 can left... it should be good for one more treatment if problem doesn't go away.

Note: check the drain and make sure it is drain properly....2)whenever possible. turn the compressor off before parking the car... turn on the vent a min or 2 before stopping. that will make sure any moisture will be gone before you stop your car.

Alex
ASE. MACS
Old 08-03-2001, 08:37 PM
Ken Hakken
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem with my 84. You can remove the fan motor resistor from the top of the evaporator enclosure and use a hose to wash the evaporator core.
If you run the water to hard and long you might get water in the passanger compartment, so be careful. Also you may have some leaves or debris plugging the drain hole in the bottom of the evaporator enclosure. Any water you put on the evaporator core should drain right out through this hole. :chevy

Get notified of new replies

To musty smell from hvac system

Quick Reply: musty smell from hvac system