C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

opti-revived! but dash speedo guage reading "SYS ERROR"

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2001, 04:07 PM
lcvette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default opti-revived! but dash speedo guage reading "SYS ERROR"

ok guys, heres what i did to get her going again! i picked up a can of wire dry, its like WD-40, it displaces water, shot a very snmall amopunt down the inlet air tube to the opti, and let that sit for an hour or two then i went to circuit city and bought a twp pack of compressed air used for cleaning static free environments. zero moisture in the can and i disconnectred the two hoses and shot the compressed can air though there then turned it around a bit and shot the other can through it then i fired her up and she gurgled as few times and then began to clear up, i drove her back and forth in the parking lot here at work and she cleared up then i got brave and decide to take her out on the highway. she felt much better and then she was clear as a bell, no hesitation or stumbbling whatsoever. but now i have this dreaded blinking "SYS ERR" blinking in the speedo window where the temps com up, what is this? anyone ever experience this one? its new to me. should i disconnect my battery and let everything reset itself? oh well i am going to put my new wheels on now, so i will check back in on you later! thanks all,

chris
Old 08-03-2001, 04:49 PM
00Nassau
Safety Car

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Default Re: opti-revived! but dash speedo guage reading "SYS ERROR" (lcvette)

I use to get the SYS ERROR on my 95 Pace Car when the battery got low from not being driven enough. I have not seen the code since putting in a new battery.

I believe I have read on the CF before that other people have had this problem when their battery was going bad. So you might check your battery.

Good luck.
Old 08-03-2001, 05:21 PM
Mez
Safety Car

Location: Austin, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Houston, Dallas, Hong Kong, Elgin, etc.. Texas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: opti-revived! but dash speedo guage reading "SYS ERROR" (00Nassau)

I agree. Per the Helm manual, SYS code is set for a wide variety of general system faults but I did not see any of them related to the Optispark. For my 1996, when the battery got weak, it would cause the SYS code to appear. After replacing the battery (3 years old), the problem never appeared again.

I suggest driving it for a few days to see if it disappears. I do not recommend disconnecting the battery as this will clear history codes but nothing for the real problem.
Old 08-03-2001, 05:36 PM
Ramjet
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: opti-revived! but dash speedo guage reading "SYS ERROR" (Mez)

Yep...I replaced the battery and my "SYS ERROR" is gone...
:chevy
Old 08-04-2001, 01:13 PM
lcvette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: opti-revived! but dash speedo guage reading "SYS ERROR" (lcvette)

you guys nailed it, i had drained the battery conjsiderably while i was trying to get the car started and now that i've driven it a bit the message has gone away, i am at my dad's shop so i will throw a battery charger on it to keep the alternator from having to do all the work to recharge it. thanks again all, your wisdom is always a blessing!

chris :D

Get notified of new replies

To opti-revived! but dash speedo guage reading "SYS ERROR"

Quick Reply: opti-revived! but dash speedo guage reading "SYS ERROR"