C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

dana 36 -- will it last ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2001, 04:45 PM
hi-tek-vette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dana 36 -- will it last ?

several changes i'm making to my '87 ----- just ordered a rebuilt 36 w/ 3:54 gears, soon i was going to add a procharger ----my thinking was to add the procharger, 'cause it's way too early to get into my motor, 36k miles, and w/ gears, it ought to screw ............... how's the 36 gonna like this ?? my thought was the procharger won't really beat it up since i'm using the stock convertor .............. i don't drag the car, use street tires, and only really get on it once a week ..... usually to teach some kid w/ a sufboard wing, and a fart pipe that, indeed, imports suck !
Old 08-04-2001, 05:13 PM
Beach Bum
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Re: dana 36 -- will it last ? (hi-tek-vette)

What I've noticed with Dana 36 rear ends, is that they seem to break when you get a bit sidways and then hook, thus putting a lot of pressure on the spider gears.... which seem to be the runaway # 1 failure of D36's. I've never seen or heard of a pinion gear itself breaking (probably has), but I think you would need a lot of HP to do that.

I recommend the upgrade to the D44 if for no other reason, piece of mind.

good luck
Beach Bum

Quick Reply: dana 36 -- will it last ?