C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Can a Car be re painted with an electric HVLP paint unit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2001, 08:12 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Can a Car be re painted with an electric HVLP paint unit?

Hey people,
I was at lowes the other day..they have this electric unit to paint just abut anything, mostly home improvement.
It says will spray urethanes,enamels, and lacquers and all kinds of paints.
The gun it uses resembles alot like any good auto paint gun one would use with an air compressor.
The unit cost 180 dollars and is nothing like the wagner units you see at sears and them its more industrial.

Anyone know if this unit will be good for painting panels on the cars?Im going to teach myself soon how to paint, but my air compressor isnt very good, and has too much water in it all the time...and I need to go buy a paint gun,new compressor, inline water filter and etc if I stay the air compressor route.

This electric unit would still be cheaper in the long run.

Anyone know anything about these electric units?
Is there certain flow specs auto paint like urethane must have that I can check the unit label and see if it can flow the same? Lars or anyone still around?
Old 08-06-2001, 10:09 PM
hi-tek-vette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Can a Car be re painted with an electric HVLP paint unit? (Bill's86Coupe)

you will be very, very sorry with the results .......... rent a air compressor if you have to, use a high pressure gun, it will be easier for you to get a decent finish ......... don't purchase an air compressor under 12 or so cfm if your gonna buy one ......... a decent cheaper gun is the devilbiss finishline, about $ 170 ........ if you intend on spraying urethane, PLEASE do yourself a favor, wear a SUPPLIED AIR respirator ........
Old 08-06-2001, 10:35 PM
Daves90
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Can a Car be re painted with an electric HVLP paint unit? (Bill's86Coupe)

Bill.. Hi Tek is right.. You will be very sorry with the results. First ,,although it may look the same the gun will not flow enough material to get a decent result..Also, there will not be enough pressure to get the material through the gun that will be necessary to get it to "flow out" smooth when done. I used an electric system for years called "accu-spray" that was intended for automotive spraying and although it would do well spraying a single panel or say 2 side doors to do a blend,,it was still not very good at spraying overall paint jobs using quality urethanes. You could rent a compressor,,and as suggested,,you could buy a production gun and a water trap that uses paper filteration to catch the water. And definately definately get a charcoal resporator at the very least. Urethanes are nasty stuff on your lungs. If all else fails..send it to me and I'll paint it for ya..!! :D
If you need more info or help please e-mail me and I'll gladly help out.
Old 08-06-2001, 11:31 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Can a Car be re painted with an electric HVLP paint unit? (Daves90)

Hey guys,
Thanks so MUCH for the heads up...I really needed this info ahead of time..it will be a little while before I go ahead with the paint practice on old panels or fenders to try and get the technique right.
My air compressor is a 20 gallon 5 horse power unit...while its pretty good, Im thinking of selling it and buy myself a much larger unit like 35 gallons and 6 or more HP...I need it anyway to do other jobs...my air compressor doesnt seem to be able to hold enough air or pressure after a few minutes of use...I dont want to paint a car and find it wont spray for sheehit when I need it to.
Id rather not rent one since I will need a good compressor here anyways for jobs like painting and other auto repairs when needed.

I have your forum names and etc saved so I can email you if i have questions...or I can always post again later and the others can read along too, if they should be in the same boat or have similiar questions in mind for future reference.

AND THANKS FOR THE REMINDER of the respirator...I do know this already and will be sure to take all the safety Noishu measures and etc before I start anything down the road...thats some scary stuff...
even the guys at the local body supply and paint shop, when I inquired about the prices of the paints, primers and etc, the first thing they wanted to know was if I had the nessary respirators and etc...safety first above all.

Get notified of new replies

To Can a Car be re painted with an electric HVLP paint unit?

Quick Reply: Can a Car be re painted with an electric HVLP paint unit?