C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Removing the front bumper cover on my '85...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2001, 09:39 PM
Jim Strathearn
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PA Events Coordinator
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Removing the front bumper cover on my '85...

Hello!

I need to remove the front bumper cover on my '85 in order to get it repainted. Can someone tell me how to get the thing off? :confused:

Thanks!
Old 08-06-2001, 10:03 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Removing the front bumper cover on my '85... (Jim Strathearn)

Hmm..trying to rem...take off the torx bolts at the wheel well sheild on both sides...while the hoods open, look between the hood and the nose, there a bunch of 10 or 13 MM bolts(cant rem the exact size) and a thin black support frame you need to remove from the top in there...kinda tight to get a wrench, can be done though.
Under the car theres a few bolts that hold the cover to the black parking stops on both sides.

There may also be a few bolts inside the nose on the bottom areas where the bottom spoiler or air dam peices attaches through to.

Its basically look for everyone thats holding it to something if you dont have the manual for their locations.

Once all the bolts are off, the bumper needs to be lifted off the top nose where that black frame and bolts held it between the nose and the hood.
Its going to flex alot...its kinda tricky to get the bumper back on without flexing too much and cracking the new paint.
After you get it off, try to re install it a few times and note the best way it goes back on to practce sliding it back on without flexing the new paint job too much.What happens when you slip it back on top of the nose frame, the bottom part hits the bump stops...not too bad to figur out though.

Btw, the black trim molding..a bunch of nuts hold them to the bumper cover...if you plan to take that off to get a more professional coverage paint job, dont be surpised if all the nuts on them are frozen.I had to CUT off every nut and get a new molding..they all were rusted in place and kept spinning when I tried to get them off.
:(
Old 08-07-2001, 11:01 AM
Jim Strathearn
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PA Events Coordinator
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Removing the front bumper cover on my '85... (Bill's86Coupe)

Thanks Bill!

I'm thinking rather hard about just taping the thing off and shooting it on the car... :smash:

Get notified of new replies

To Removing the front bumper cover on my '85...

Quick Reply: Removing the front bumper cover on my '85...