C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Double roller Timing Chain?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2001, 12:09 AM
VQT88Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Double roller Timing Chain?

I like to replace my 1988, Z52 original timing chain with a double roller timing chain. Can you guys give me suggestion on what brand and where can I get them?
Does the double roller any more difficult to install than the OEM timing chain?

Thanks,
VQT
Old 08-07-2001, 12:15 AM
1MoorTym
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Double roller Timing Chain? (VQT88Vette)

I think Cloyes makes the best roller for the money. Check summit, they usually have the best prices. No harder than the stock chain to install, but no easier either :D
Old 08-07-2001, 12:40 AM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Double roller Timing Chain? (1MoorTym)

An engine builder I spoke to said to not use those chains in a daily driver..they stretch and if they fail youre gonna have alot of problems.
He suggested a performer LINK chain and ive been using that for a few years now based on his advice.
Some of his engines he built that ran at the drag strip never broke a chain or stretched over time because of the LINK style chain he used.He told me he tried the roller chains and they didnt last as long as he thought they should and they failed in engines that were daily drivers.

What made you want to get a double roller anyways?
Someone suggest it? I know everyone has an opinion.
Every engine builder says things a little different.
So usually we're torn between opinions.
If your engine is near stock or has minor mods, theres no sense buying a double roller chain...thats what the engine guys Ive spoke to all told me.
Maybe their right, maybe their wrong...

Old 08-07-2001, 09:33 AM
VQT88Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Double roller Timing Chain? (Bill's86Coupe)

An engine builder I spoke to said to not use those chains in a daily driver..they stretch and if they fail youre gonna have alot of problems.
He suggested a performer LINK chain and ive been using that for a few years now based on his advice.
Some of his engines he built that ran at the drag strip never broke a chain or stretched over time because of the LINK style chain he used.He told me he tried the roller chains and they didnt last as long as he thought they should and they failed in engines that were daily drivers.

What made you want to get a double roller anyways?
Someone suggest it? I know everyone has an opinion.
Every engine builder says things a little different.
So usually we're torn between opinions.
If your engine is near stock or has minor mods, theres no sense buying a double roller chain...thats what the engine guys Ive spoke to all told me.
Maybe their right, maybe their wrong...
Bill,

My brother, who knows about these thing much more than I do, suggested I should use Cloyes double roller (Just want to know if forum member used the same) since it is better than stock chain and it does not cost much more than OEM. :o
What's a performer LINK chain? Where can I get it? Any mod. needed to install this chain?
Everyone else suggest OEM chain since I don't take my car to the track or street race. If double roller or Performer is better than OEM style chain, as in less friction, less stretched, I should go with the better product right? :confused:
How come a doulble roller chain is not good for a daily driver? I do like to spin the wheels from time to time, Just don't race that's all
Please keep the suggestion coming.

Thanks, :bb

Get notified of new replies

To Double roller Timing Chain?

Quick Reply: Double roller Timing Chain?