C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Upgrade 85 ECM?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 05:49 PM
MrNuke
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too have removed the 9th injector years ago when I switched to the Superam setup.. Never a problem, other than it tok an extra second to start the car.. I fixed that easily in the chip..
Old 02-19-2006, 07:19 PM
GRX
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ski_down_it is right. There is only one real advatage of upgrading to a later ECM. That would be the MAF burn off module. The '85 are darn expensive used. The late ECMs use two simple relays to command the MAF sensor.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:39 PM
nonetooclose
Racer

Originally Posted by GRX
Ski_down_it is right. There is only one real advatage of upgrading to a later ECM. That would be the MAF burn off module. The '85 are darn expensive used. The late ECMs use two simple relays to command the MAF sensor.
If this is the case, then it would be an easy matter to design and build a simple circuit to do the same that the ECM is doing without the expensive part?

What is this part, where is it located, and why is it so expensive ($cost?)?

Richard
Old 02-20-2006, 12:06 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by GRX
I've seen several modules sell on ebay for ~$50
Old 02-20-2006, 07:53 AM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nonetooclose
If this is the case, then it would be an easy matter to design and build a simple circuit to do the same that the ECM is doing without the expensive part?

What is this part, where is it located, and why is it so expensive ($cost?)?

Richard

ECMs are pretty inexpensive ~90 dollars new. You are right though, and there are probably less than 40 dollars worth of components in them.

Aftermarket ones alike, what your paying for there is someones/groups expertise and knowhow.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:14 AM
onetrackmind
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Listen to Ski dwn it, He always gives solid knowledgeable advice.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:28 AM
RME1993
Advanced

Hello Everyone,

Hopefully everyone is still around because its now 2018 and I have some questions pertaining to exactly this post. In the past year and a half I have just about completely torn apart my 1985 Corvette because it needed just about a complete re-build. Essentially I am running performance heads with an aftermarket/medium camshaft, Smog Delete and new injectors with my Cold Start (9th Injector) removed as well. My car runs and performs good under load. However, upon start up it takes longer than I'd like to turn over and when i'm idling, the RPM's skip around a little, Plus I dislike the factory settings for when my fan turns on. I'm trying to turn the fan on around 180F. That being said the car needs a tune, I can build an engine but I'm not experienced with ECM swaps. I'm looking at upgrading my 1985 ECM to a 1986 ECM because i'm learning that It's significantly easier for tuning due to the fact that I can program a chip to go into the 1986 ECM. Firstly, is Oski_dwn_it suggesting that I can use my 1985 ECM to accomplish what I'm trying to get done? If so, How? If I need to swap ECM's can someone tell me if the ECM's will swap/connect without having to do any splicing and I'm not sure what is implied with
"Re-pining" so maybe someone here has a step by step instruction or a link to a video as to what needs to be accomplished. All advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advanced,

Last edited by RME1993; 12-14-2018 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:22 PM
BlowerWorks
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes and if you do take a look at my MAF which eliminates the burn off relays. greg
Old 05-18-2020, 01:05 AM
kentsimon
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RME1993
Hello Everyone,

Hopefully everyone is still around because its now 2018 and I have some questions pertaining to exactly this post. In the past year and a half I have just about completely torn apart my 1985 Corvette because it needed just about a complete re-build. Essentially I am running performance heads with an aftermarket/medium camshaft, Smog Delete and new injectors with my Cold Start (9th Injector) removed as well. My car runs and performs good under load. However, upon start up it takes longer than I'd like to turn over and when i'm idling, the RPM's skip around a little, Plus I dislike the factory settings for when my fan turns on. I'm trying to turn the fan on around 180F. That being said the car needs a tune, I can build an engine but I'm not experienced with ECM swaps. I'm looking at upgrading my 1985 ECM to a 1986 ECM because i'm learning that It's significantly easier for tuning due to the fact that I can program a chip to go into the 1986 ECM. Firstly, is Oski_dwn_it suggesting that I can use my 1985 ECM to accomplish what I'm trying to get done? If so, How? If I need to swap ECM's can someone tell me if the ECM's will swap/connect without having to do any splicing and I'm not sure what is implied with
"Re-pining" so maybe someone here has a step by step instruction or a link to a video as to what needs to be accomplished. All advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advanced,
Hi,so I was wondering since it was just two years ago if you ever completed the ecm swap, I have collected together almost all the parts I need to complete the swap, but I am still trying to figure out what all of the wiring changes mean, the splices are confusing to me.

Quick Reply: Upgrade 85 ECM?