C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

What's the best way to remove hose clamps?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 03:33 PM
slicked25
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What's the best way to remove hose clamps?

I bought a new upper hose and can't get the clamps loose. Maybe I don't have the right tools.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:52 PM
BRICHC4
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all I've ever used is a flat head screw driver
Old 03-04-2006, 04:50 PM
slicked25
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I fixed it. Had the spring loaded clamps which were a pita. Replaced with the screw driver clamps. Channel locks and a knife was how I did it.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:42 PM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If it is the screw type, just loosen it and pull it back. If the clamp type I use channel lock pliers and squeeze the two sides together an pull it back. If the hose is still stuck after this, I use the channel locks and rotate the hose side to side to loosen it an wiggle it off. Be sure you don't tear the hose unless you don't need it anymore.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:49 PM
drochau
Racer

If it's a spring clamp, I just use vice-grips and squeeze it all the way down, pull off the hose and then put then clamp in the trash can and replace with screw or t-bolt clamp
Old 03-04-2006, 10:34 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by drochau
If it's a spring clamp, I just use vice-grips and squeeze it all the way down, pull off the hose and then put then clamp in the trash can and replace with screw or t-bolt clamp
Old 03-04-2006, 10:52 PM
aminnich
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by drochau
I used to feel same way since the spring clamps can be such a PITA. But you notice they rare to never leak and never break, nor do they cut down into the hose like a worm gear clamp does. I don't throw mine in the trash anymore, reuse them and no problems. But then everyone has their preferences, I just stated mine.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:44 AM
eschoendorff
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by aminnich
I used to feel same way since the spring clamps can be such a PITA. But you notice they rare to never leak and never break, nor do they cut down into the hose like a worm gear clamp does. I don't throw mine in the trash anymore, reuse them and no problems. But then everyone has their preferences, I just stated mine.
If you want to get at those spring clamps, Harbor Freight has a set of taiwanese ratcheting hose clamp pliers for about $10. They worked well when I swapped out the radiator on my 93. If you want something a little more versatile, check these out at Sears:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...TOOL&ihtoken=1

These will get into the tight places (think GM FWD v6 engines) where you cannot get a hose clamp plier. If you want something even more trick without having to hail a tool truck, check this out:

http://www.atoolcrib.com/catalog/pro...ducts_id=15093

This guy's a member of another forum that I frequent (www.garagejunkies.net) and he's got some killer prices on USA-made stuff.

FWIW...

Ed
Old 03-05-2006, 02:41 PM
mash557
Burning Brakes

speaking of hose clamp types, the new factory hoses for my 2K grand prix came with new spring type hose clamps.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:20 PM
Sam Lam
Melting Slicks

I like the spring clamps when I can get them.....they never loosen over time and do not leak . However, they can be a b---h to remove!
Old 03-05-2006, 04:35 PM
Mike_88Z51
Drifting

Location: Sacramento, CA Money can't buy happiness - but it's more comfortable to cry in a Corvette than a Yugo.
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aminnich
Gordon Killebrew agrees with you too. He told me that the factory uses the spring clamp style because they are designed to apply the proper compression without worry of being over or under tightened.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:37 PM
torchred89
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Sam Lam
I like the spring clamps when I can get them.....they never loosen over time and do not leak . However, they can be a b---h to remove!
If you think the top was bad, wait till you do the bottom one and try to get the new one on the bottom of the radiator, No room at all. on 89
Old 03-05-2006, 06:47 PM
Sam Lam
Melting Slicks

I took the "spring" off the bottom of my 89 and put the SS clamp there, but the top has the spring

Get notified of new replies

To What's the best way to remove hose clamps?

Quick Reply: What's the best way to remove hose clamps?