C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

LT4 HOT CAM????

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2001, 04:48 PM
whiteLT1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT4 HOT CAM????

HOW much of a gain will a HOT CAM give a stock LT1??? HOW much are they? Where can I get one?Are they suitable for daily driving??? Thanks :D :cool:
Old 08-14-2001, 05:14 PM
Stan A
Racer

Default Re: LT4 HOT CAM???? (whiteLT1)

If we are talking GM "HOT CAM", increase range is 14 to 20hp depending on your motor.

Your local GM Chevy dealer can order you one.

As to the idle conditions and daily driving, I have not heard a single complaint yet.

Cost I between is between $225 and $300 (depends on the dealer).

Your maximum return will be on the LT4 itself.

Stan A :chevy
Old 08-14-2001, 05:20 PM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In XI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Default Re: LT4 HOT CAM???? (Stan A)

Actually the cost will be a bit greater than 200-250, you will need the whole hotcam kit. This includes the cam, lifters and roller rockers and locks. it will set you back around 450-500. Alot of people see 25-35 RWHP. I have a friend who put it in his Z-28 that was running 13.7-13.8 and it dropped his ET to 13.3-13.4 with a solid 3MPH gain.
Old 08-14-2001, 05:25 PM
lcvette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mine just got in today, it is going in over the course of the next two weeks, i am also going with some head work by myself and standard abrasives guide. there is a link i will try and find for you about this, here it is:

http://nuke61.homestead.com/DiyHeadPort.html

there are also some reviews of the hot cam as well as wav files so you can hear what they sound like. of course they are sounds from a Z28, which will be a little different then a true dual exhaust vette with 3" pipes but you can get the jist of it!! happy listening, im already on edge waiting for the time to get the wrenches out now!!

chris
Old 08-14-2001, 05:38 PM
LT4Sam
Pro

I had posted these questions back on my thread regarding upgrades, but it'll work in this thread now: "I've seen a couple posts about getting a LT4 hot cam, what is it and where do I find one? $$$? How difficult is the cam install on these motors?"
What I'm wondering is does the motor have to come out of the car, do the heads have to come off? (I don't see why but someone was talking about doing headwork) I'm most interested in whether or not this is a job I can tackle myself. Are they CARB certified? And while we're working on the top of the motor, does anyone make an aftermarket intake for these things?

Thanks again,
Sam

[Modified by LT4Sam, 10:31 PM 8/14/2001]
Old 08-14-2001, 06:28 PM
whiteLT1
Advanced

How hard would it be to put the whole hot cam kit in?How Long would it take???What is the difference in sound??? Thanks :D :cool:
Old 08-14-2001, 08:57 PM
Hurricane_777
Le Mans Master

I called a few shops to have mine instlalled, and the quotes ranged from $750 TO $1500. From what I understand, they install the cam from the front which means they have to remove the radiator and associated components. I think that most people do the heads and intake at the same time because it's as good a time as any when the motor is already "apart" to an extent. Good Luck!

Scott
Old 08-14-2001, 10:22 PM
lcvette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

white,
as i do mine i am going to make a very detailed guide on what to do and take tons of pictures. this will be my first one, but i have removed the radiator when i bought the car, took some time, but not terribly difficult, and when i did my plug wires i had removed the majority of the rest of the accessories and pulleys on the front of the motor, again not terribly hard, just a little frustrating and again took a little time the first go around. the intake manifold and heads, well once everything else is out of the way they are for the most part pretty straight forward. i would say go for it if you have the equipment, this again will be my first cam swap and i am going to document the event carefully and post the procedure in great detail with pictures for about everything and tech notes on what tools will be needed. i expect it will be more in depth then any manual you can buy do to the consentration of the job instead of being a full manual. i can tell you the tools i have figured on so far that may present a problem to a weekend wrencher, would be a hoist, maybe floor jacks depending how into mechanicing you are, and a harmonic balancer puller, torque wrench, set of torx wrenches, etc.. anyways, i have a complete shop full of tools and will note every wrech socket extension size needed for the task.
I can tell you that the hot cam kit and every necessary gasket, tube of sealant and assembly lube came to new timing chain and sprockets and lt4 knock module came to exactly $775.xx i just opened the package today when it arrived and looked over the invoice. if your interested in it i could scan it in and send you a copy so you have a complete breakdown of part numbers names and costs. just let me know, that goes for anyone else out there too!
as far as writing about heads, i apologize to the new guy, and want to welcome you, and i am sorry about the link earlier, the one i was trying to send you to had cam specs and wav files of the cams. i will link that below, but i will say that if your planning on doing a cam swap and don't take advantage of doing head work at the same time, or changing heads you really wasting alot of potential horsepower gain, even if it to just clean up casting flash or port match. anyways, welcome and tell us about yourself and your car in a signature, i always like seeing new mods and ideas... here the wav file page, enjoy and good luck, send me an email white and i will send you updates and photos of the job as i go along if you'd like so you can decide whether the job is for you or for you to send out...

http://nuke61.homestead.com/index~ns4.html
oh and white, motor does not have to come out, but front motor mounts must be undone and engine needs to be lifted a couple inches in order to get the cam out and new cam in, not terribly difficult with a hoist and a couple extra hands, but check your area for someone who may have done this from the forum, i have two friends from raleigh NC coming thank goodness to give me some help and experience. again good luck

thanks guys,
chris

[Modified by lcvette, 8:26 PM 8/14/2001]
Old 08-15-2001, 09:27 AM
Eric Fischer
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: LT4 HOT CAM???? (lcvette)

Be sure that you prime the oil system after installing a new cam (or anytime you are into the motor, for that matter). I didn't, and learned the hard way that it is absolutely necessary on these motors.
Old 08-15-2001, 10:23 AM
GS470
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my case, the Hot Cam alone was worth 32 RWHP (294 pre-cam, 326 post-cam) in a bone stock LT4. I don't know how these gains would compare with what you'd get in an LT1, but I assume they'd be similar.

The cam was put in by the previous owner, so I don't have any installation specifics for you. I consider the cam very streetable, just has a nice lope to it.

Get notified of new replies

To LT4 HOT CAM????

Quick Reply: LT4 HOT CAM????