C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Completly disabling vats

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 05:16 PM
tsiawd1028
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Completly disabling vats

Hey guys, I lost my one and only ignition key, I was wondering if there is any way to completely disable and remove the vats system, I read something about grounding a green wire behind the radio.? Any info on this?

Also i hear there is a diagnostic mode you can put the dash in to tell you the vats key # the car requires. Can you do this without the key

1987 corvette

Last edited by tsiawd1028; 04-17-2006 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:33 AM
Ray Quayle
- 1986 Original Owner -

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by tsiawd1028
Hey guys, I lost my one and only ignition key, I was wondering if there is any way to completely disable and remove the vats system, I read something about grounding a green wire behind the radio.? Any info on this?
Probably referring to the Starter Enable Relay. Actually behind the DIC above the radio in the Multi-Use Center.
Grounding the Dark Green wire to this relay eliminates half the VATS. The engine will now crank regardless of key resistance. You could even use a key without resistor. The car will not start though as the VATS Module will not send the signal to the ECM that enables fuel. This can be covered with a new PROM burned to disable VATS (Clear bit 4 at $0014). You then would be VATS free. I'll let jfb give his anti-theft sermon.

Also i hear there is a diagnostic mode you can put the dash in to tell you the vats key # the car requires. Can you do this without the key
Even with the key this doesn't work on your '87.

Last edited by Ray Quayle; 04-18-2006 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:20 AM
GIJoe
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I was about to say resistor mod, but I guess that doesn't help since he lost the key

anti-theft ...bah... if someone wants to take the car, the VATS is not going to stop them anyway.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:54 AM
trulytex
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 1990 Automatic, and I was told to ground the black wire with the yellow stripe (from the starter disable relay) to the dash. This is supposed to make sure that the starter fires everytime, no matter what. I am also going to replace the relay while I have the kick panel down. This info was from the man that is supposed to know everything about C4's.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:14 AM
93*Corvette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1987 corvette
I must admit, I'm confused. Why disable the VATS when you still need a key? Are you going to crack your own column instead of calling a locksmith? That's sounds like something Homer Simpson would do.

Why not call a locksmith? They will have a machine (called an intergator) that will tell you your VATS key. Then they pull the lock and your on your way.

If you have AAA then its free.... If you don't, get it, wait 3 days, then call them for locksmith....
Old 04-27-2006, 01:53 AM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

there are only 15 options... get 15 resisters and start guessing.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:33 AM
93*Corvette
Pro

Originally Posted by bogus
there are only 15 options... get 15 resisters and start guessing.
He says he doesn't have a key.
He will still need to either replace the lock/cylinder or get a lock smith before he can even think about doing the resistor thing. I.E. he need a key before the VATS code. When the locksmith is out there they can do a 5 minute test to tell him his VATS code.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:52 AM
-js-
Racer

Originally Posted by GIJoe
I was about to say resistor mod, but I guess that doesn't help since he lost the key

anti-theft ...bah... if someone wants to take the car, the VATS is not going to stop them anyway.
I have to disagree with this one. It can and did save a camaro last summer for my daughter. Yes if a thief has picked your car they will eventauly get it regardless of what you do. But VATS can still stop your car from being taken by the joy riders.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:12 AM
bogus
Team Owner

Originally Posted by -js-
I have to disagree with this one. It can and did save a camaro last summer for my daughter. Yes if a thief has picked your car they will eventauly get it regardless of what you do. But VATS can still stop your car from being taken by the joy riders.
I agree. Any kinda immobilizer will help. There is no doubt about that.

It makes the car that much less attractive to a theif. They want quick and easy. If the car has value, hell, they will put it on a roll back and take the damned thing apart elsewhere.

But for a quickie, forget it.

I love TV when it comes to hot wiring a car! What a joke... ever notice they never have to deal with the steering column lock?
Old 04-27-2006, 11:20 AM
jeffyc
Racer

why cant he just take his vin to a dealer and get a key made?
Old 04-27-2006, 01:46 PM
Ray Quayle
- 1986 Original Owner -

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by 93*Corvette
When the locksmith is out there they can do a 5 minute test to tell him his VATS code.
You know this for a fact on an '87?
Old 04-27-2006, 02:07 PM
bogus
Team Owner

It should be easy on the earlier C4s. They only had 15 different chips... the later (95? 96?) C4s had many more...
Old 04-27-2006, 02:09 PM
tsiawd1028
Instructor

Yes the car is an 87, and the dealer told me their records only go back to 89.

I replaced my key cylinder, with a new non vats one. and i grounded the gark green wire on the started enable relay.

I am currently converted to carburator, so the injector disable part of vats does affect me at all. but if i were to go back to tpi, i would definately have to get a custom chip burnt.

So basically what i learned, and may be be helpful for some people.

Vats, disables two things, the starter and the fuel injectors. The when the right resistance is used in the key, the starter enable relay gets grounded and enables the starter. And and ecm gets sent a signal which tells the ecm its ok to fire the injectors.

Just grounding the starter enable relay, just elimantes half of vats, Youle still have the injectors disabled. Am custom prom can eliminate this parts of vats.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:15 PM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffyc
why cant he just take his vin to a dealer and get a key made?
Because the dealer records only go back so far.
And unless you are the original owner, you have no way of knowing if the ignition switch has been changed anytime in the past. That means the key won't work if it was, and you cannot get your money back from the dealer after the key is cut, even if you are able to get one for your year.
I lost my keys, and not being the original owner, I had no way of knowing if the ignition switch was the original one or not. I took the chance and bought the key. It did not work. Lost out on about $40 dollars. Had a locksmith cut me a set.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:27 PM
dozerman1
Advanced

I am at my witts end. I have bypassed the key so I don't need a chipped key.I have jumpered the starter intercept relay behind the radio. I have disconnected the door key switch on the driver door. AND the d..m thing still goes off and I have to disconnect the battery to stop the horn from blowing.... ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Completly disabling vats

Quick Reply: Completly disabling vats