C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Weather stripping aroud windshield...how hard to replace?

Old 05-07-2006, 10:29 PM
joseph p
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Weather stripping aroud windshield...how hard to replace?

I desperately need the piece that goes up the side of the windshield post and across the top. How difficult is it, I'm pretty mechanical/body experienced?
Old 05-07-2006, 10:47 PM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

It is something you might consider having someone else do.All the rest of the stripping is DIY but that one is a major PIA.Do some searches on windshield replacement as that piece is part of the process.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:07 PM
VtVette
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

It's not bad but you need to do it right. Lots of people get mad because they replace the weatherstrip and the leak is still there, or worse yet it's worse than before they replaced the weatherstrip! Corvettes have a great weatherstrip system when it's maintained and repaired properly. Don't just throw a new seal and a ton of weatherstrip cement at the job. Here are a few tips to do it right:

Remove the weatherstrip from the retaining rails (both top and side rails) and be sure to remove ALL residual adheasive or old weatherstrip. If you are lucky a previous owner did not glue the weatherstrip to the rail. The C4 uses a channel to secure the weatherstrip in place and there is NO need for glue along the channel (weatherstrip is a wear item and as such is designed to be changed out like any other part). Unfortunatley many people think they need to glue the weatherstrip to to retaining rail or it will leak. This only makes future replacment a nightmare and adjustments impossible. Anyway remove the weatherstrip form the retaining rails then remove the screws securing the retaining rails to the car. Be sure to clean the rail thourougly (I bead blasted mine and repainted it). Also remove the side glass mouldings that are sandwiched between the side weatherstrip retaining rails and the windshield frame. If your rails prove difficult to clean use a propane torch to soften the old glue and a wire bristle brush to remove the softened glue. Be sure to only do this outdoors!

Now you have the weatherstrip off the windshield frame as well as 3 retaining rails and the two side A pillar windshield pieces. Clean the window frame thouroughly where the weatherstrip tracks mount to the window frame. If there are any scratches in the paint or bare metal showing be sure to prime and paint it to prevent rust!

Clean the 5 pieces that were removed from the windshield frame thourougly. You may want to repaint them now and straighten any bends or kinks in them.

Once everything is cleaned up Seal the area between the side window mouldings and the windshield frame with 3M 08578 strip caulk. This is a soft non-hardening butyl rubber material. It comes in a box of about 60 feet in one foot lengths. Run a ribbon of it all the way down the side window moulding where it mounts to the windshield frame. Run a ribbon of strip caulk along the inside of the side weatherstrip retaining track and sandwich it all together the same way it came apart. Go to the hardware store and buy some stainless steel screws to replace the steel screws you removed the frame work with. Screw it all together.

Same for the top rail, run a ribbon of strip caulk and mount it to the top windshield frame.

Let the weatherstrip sit in the sun for a few hours bofore installation to let it soften up a bit. Center the new weatherstrip in the middle of the top windshield frame and use a puddy knife with tape on the end of the blade to install the new weatherstrip in the track. THERE IS NO NEED TO GLUE THE WEATHERSTRIP TO THE TRACK!! Once the weatherstrip is installed across the top of the winshield frame check the alignment at the corners and adjust as necessary. Once it is correct apply a bead of 3M 08008 Super weatherstrip adheasive that runs continuously from the top windshield track to the side track. Install the corner screw through the weatherstrip to secure it in place. The continuous bead insures that water will not run under the weatherstrip and leak into the car. Then install the weatherstrip in the channels that run down the A pillars in the same fashion as the top section was installed (with the puddy knife). Once the weatherstrip is installed in the A pillar track use some strip caulk to seal up the bottom of the weatherstrip to the lower A pillar and insert the two screws to hold it in place.

Raise your windows and shut your door. It may be necessary to remove your door panels and adjust your window glass to the new weatherstrip.

I used "Corvette Rubber" brand weatherstrip on my car with *excellent* results. The end have the metal reinforcments and fit was perfect. I bought it off E-bay from "Willcox Corvette" for short money. It arrived in two days.

The above write up will make more sense once you take the old weatherstrip and rails off. I have several pic's I am happy to post reguarding proper claning, where to seal with strip caulk and weatherstrip adheasive as well as how to properly install the weatherstrip in the tracks. Just let me know and I will post them.

There is more to replacing weatherstrip than just replacing weatherstrip. Take the time to thouroughly clean and reseal all the tracks and adjust the windows to properly fit the new weatherstrip and you WILL have a leak free Corvette!

Last edited by VtVette; 05-07-2006 at 11:13 PM.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:16 PM
TorchRedlt4man
Drifting

Location: Chicago Executive Airport, formerly known as Palwaukee
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

What a great write-up! I am bookmarking this page. I want your information for when I need to do mine.

SAVE THE WAVE!
Old 05-07-2006, 11:20 PM
VtVette
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchRedlt4man
What a great write-up! I am bookmarking this page. I want your information for when I need to do mine.

SAVE THE WAVE!
I hope it doesn't seem like too much of a ramble - I just did mine yesterday and because of the frequency that this question comes up I took a bunch of pictures and planned to do a write up. I will get the pic's off my camera and do a proper step by step explination with pic's as soon as I can.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:44 PM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A write up with pics would be excellent. I just had my windshield replaced 4 days ago. They did not seal between the weatherstrip retainers and windshield frame. Water would literally pour into the cabin by entering behind the retainers. They offered to fix the problem free of charge. I decided to fix the damn thing myself, since the guy who installed the windshield was complaining and whining like a girl cause he was going to have to do it all over again. Went to the hardware store, bought a $3.00 tube of clear window silicone, and laid a bead down the edges. I smoothed it out with my finger, and it came out just like it does on an aquarium. No more leaks.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:31 PM
Snuffy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write-up. One other word of caution, if you are thinking about replacing the windshield do it before you do the weather strip. It saved my glass guy a lot of time.
Also I used some soft rubbery tape that has some adhesive on both sides between the rubber retainers and the frame. This should seal out any water. I am a little hesitant to use silicone since it may need to come off again. This tape is used for hose repair but suited my purpose very well.
I too used Corvette Rubber and I echo the previous comments. very good.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:08 PM
Red_Vette_93
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am about to do mine with corvette rubber also, would like the pics when you get a chance
Old 05-08-2006, 05:01 PM
The Green Hornet
Melting Slicks

Location: Everyone needs something to believe in, I believe I'll have another beer. Wisconsin
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

VtVVette, you da man

Get notified of new replies

To Weather stripping aroud windshield...how hard to replace?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Weather stripping aroud windshield...how hard to replace?