C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Please explain what cam specs. mean !!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2001, 05:28 PM
Arisa
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Please explain what cam specs. mean !!!

I am refering to the duration, lobe seperation, lift @ .050" & so on. Please explain these to me.

Thanks

Neal
Old 08-23-2001, 05:57 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Please explain what cam specs. mean !!! (Arisa)

A cam starts as a round bar of steel, which is ground down to a smaller circle with "lobes" protruding from that "base circle". As the cam rotates, at 1/2 the crankshaft speed, the valve lifters ride up and down, following these lobes.

When you see cam lift (or lobe height off the base circle) plot vs crankshaft angle it looks like two bells. These represent the lift due to the actual cam lobes.

The distance, in degrees, between the point where the curve just starts to show lift and the point where it goes back to zero lift is the dwell for that lobe, i.e. intake or exhaust lobe.

Since this "zero lift" point was hard to define and standardize on, the distance between the two points of 0.050" of lift was chosen as a standard rating.

The number of degrees between the center of the intake lobe and the exhaust lobe, the LSA, is a measure of overlap or time when both valves are partly open.

That's the basic idea; for a thorough explanation of cams and valve trains, selection and installation along with pics go to the Comp Cams web site and get their catalogue. It's not only a great primmer but is quite useful when selecting/installing camshaft and valve train components.
Old 08-23-2001, 05:58 PM
ChrisB
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here is a short writeup
http://www.speeddemonmotorsports.com...Cam_Timing.htm
Old 08-23-2001, 08:05 PM
Chris@SD
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Please explain what cam specs. mean !!! (ChrisB)

Looks like ChrisB beat me to it!!!

This is a perfect time to announce the population of the tech section of our site though. Look for updates on a weekly or more basis! I hope that you guys find them helpful and informative.

Thanks,
Old 08-23-2001, 09:02 PM
JasonL
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

See if you can get hold of a Comp Cams catalog. It has a very good, detailed description of how the whole valvetrain works. There's also an excellent graph of a cam profile with labels of the various specs (LSA, duration, etc)

Get notified of new replies

To Please explain what cam specs. mean !!!

Quick Reply: Please explain what cam specs. mean !!!