C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Electric Rear View Mirror Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 01:11 AM
trulytex
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Electric Rear View Mirror Problem

I purchased a 1990 Vert 2 months ago and have been trying to fix it up and I'm to the driver side rear view mirror. The mirror remote switch moves the mirror left & right, but not up & down. I replaced the remote switch on the door panel, but there was no difference. Which leads me to believe that the problem lies in the mirror. How do I change the "guts" of the mirror without replacing the entire mirror. I don't want to have to repaint the mirror. I was told that the glass of the mirror can removed to get into the mirror. Any experience with this?
Old 05-25-2006, 02:34 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Default Mirror motors

There are three screws that hold the guts inside the mirror housing. Use a long, very skinny phillips screw driver to get at these screws. Push on the surface of the mirror at the outside edges to manually ratchet the mirror out of the way, so you can get at the screws.

It's possible to pry the mirror out of its pivot trunion, but this isn't a good idea, because it will not fit as tightly after you push it back together, and will let the mirror wobble.

Un-plug the mirror connector, and check the voltage at the connector as you operate the mirror switches. Since these connectors are pretty much exposed to the elements, they may need to be cleaned. Use a little white grease (Lubriplate or equiv.) on the pins to inhibit corrosion.

If the mirror motors still won't work after everything else has been checked out, try tapping on the motor housing while holding the switch on. These little motors need to be exercised regularly to keep them from getting stuck in one position.

S.T.W.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:08 AM
PAINTER MAN
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I,m told those lilttle motors can be bought at Radio Shack. I read it here on the forum.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:14 AM
MrRenoman
Melting Slicks

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

Pretty hard to reach one of the 3 screws without popping the mirror and mirror frame off the trunnion. Other options include breaking the glass so the screwdriver can go through the mirror frame which has holes designed into it to access the screws. Aftermarket replacement mirrors leave a little to be desired, at least the ones I've seen. Removing and re-installing the mirror once popped off the trunnion is a little trickey. Patience and a small sturdy skinney tool to assist in removal and popping it back together is helpful. Simply pushing the mirror back onto the trunnion may cause the mirror to break due to the pressure needed to pop it back on.

Art
Old 05-25-2006, 11:40 PM
trulytex
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Remote Electric Mirror FIXED

Well - Mirror All FIXED! It was quite simple & painless!

I pulled on the mirror glass and it easily poped out - No Breaks, No Errors. It didn't take that much pressure at all.

I then removed the 3 screws that hold the motor assembly onto the mirror case.

Then turned the motor assembly over and removed the 3 tiny screws to open the motor assembly. The in/out motor would not turn when trying to adjust it with the switch.

Pulled the small electric motor out of the assembly and turned the stem by hand between my thumb & forefinger and it started WORKING.

I then sprayed the stem (and up into the motor) with some white lithium grease (sprayed the other one too) and reassembled the motor assembly, tried the switch and it works perfectly.

When replacing the mirror glass, I just lined up the two screw gears that are attached to the backside of the mirror glass with their respective holes in the motor assembly and pressed firmly, making sure that the trunnion snaped in also. A piece of cake.

It took approx 15 - 20 minutes

I would suggest this approach before buying a new mirror.

Last edited by trulytex; 05-25-2006 at 11:53 PM.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:30 PM
FF1wms
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13

good deal.

Get notified of new replies

To Electric Rear View Mirror Problem

Quick Reply: Electric Rear View Mirror Problem