C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Resistor spark plugs vs. low resistance plug wires

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 10:47 AM
Lone Ranger
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Resistor spark plugs vs. low resistance plug wires

Forgive for asking in C4 tech, but I never have any luck in the other cars section. My '94 Dodge Dakota 5.2L (318) V8 uses Champion RC12YC "resistor" spark plugs as O.E.

I'm going to change the spark plug wires and was going to install a low resistance spiral core type (after market type that suppresses RFI) instead of the O.E. carbon core high resistance type, but I wonder if using low resistance wires with resistor plugs would be like taking a shower with your clothes on?
Old 06-24-2006, 11:13 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Nothing wrong with using low resistance wires if they are the spiral wound anti RFI type as they will have the same effectiveness preventing plug noise in your radio. Resistance wire or spiral wire have very little effect on the spark energy, so either is fine. Spiral wires are more durable (resistant to mechanical movement causing a break in the conductor). You are doing everything right so far, congrats.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:33 AM
MikeC4
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

sticking with the resistor plugs shouldn't cause you any RFI problems. Any EMI(causing RFI) generated by the spark plugs will be shielded by the surrounding block. The wires are the main component of EMI, and these guys are all over the place under the hood. RFI has always been a problem since the introduction of HEI...........FYI

Get notified of new replies

To Resistor spark plugs vs. low resistance plug wires

Quick Reply: Resistor spark plugs vs. low resistance plug wires