C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1992 Corvette AC Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 10:00 PM
Moosecvt
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 Corvette AC Question

Hello,

I just bought a 1992 LT1 Corvette with 27K on it. It has Automatic climate control but the AC doesn't work. The Pump doesn't cycle at all. I checked the relay by the passenger side door. I also had the refrigerant checked, it was a little low but not low enough that my buddy said I had to worry about it. Also my right rear speaker crackles more and more now, it seems to decrease. What can I do? If you could help me out I would greatly appreciate it!

Sincerely,

Matt Musbach
Old 09-08-2006, 02:37 AM
93*Corvette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Moosecvt
Hello,

I just bought a 1992 LT1 Corvette with 27K on it. It has Automatic climate control but the AC doesn't work. The Pump doesn't cycle at all. I checked the relay by the passenger side door. I also had the refrigerant checked, it was a little low but not low enough that my buddy said I had to worry about it.
The information you provided is not much. You need to clarify what you mean "Automatic climate control but the AC doesn't work". No power? Flashing? Doesn't cycle? Please discribe in detail.

You need to preform the diagnostic. http://www.idavette.net/tech/c4diag.htm After that, if 09 (low freon) exists, then disconnect battery cable, reinstall it, then run diag again.

Then lets us know what you find out and we can help you some more.

Also, just as a suggestion. List one problem in one thread, the other problem in another. The experts on your speakers will probably never see your thread since it has "1992 Corvette AC Question". Just a suggestion.

Lastly, you will see the user name on the left side of the screen, Left mouse click on the name, and you will see "View Public Profile"... Yours has no information.

Last edited by 93*Corvette; 09-08-2006 at 02:47 AM.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:14 AM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Also, if the compressor is not cycling, there is no way your friend could check to verify you have enough freon. At best, he may check the static pressure to see if it is enough to close the low pressure switch.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:31 AM
EvanD
Drifting

Received 245 Likes on 155 Posts

Sounds like you are low on refrigerant. Is the light on the A/C button flashing? When you are low there is a relay that keeps the sysytem from starting. If you have R-12 in your system it might be a good time to convert over, there are cheap ($25) conversion kits that work pretty well as long as your system is in good shape with out big leaks. Some kits have leak stop in them too. The nice thing is if you convert the new freon is cheap and easy to put in so if you have a small leak it's no big deal. There are many threads on converting to 134A.

Sounds like you need a new amp in the rear speaker. Swap the speaker from the other side to be sure. Do a search for Bose repair places here and at e-bay. Dr Don's is one and there is one in Norfolk Va that has a good rep and slightly cheaper.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:25 PM
mfi
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'll bet it's low on charge. I just charged mine up with R-12 I got off E-Bay. You will need a cfc certificate to get it or know someone who has one. By disconnecting the negative cable then reconnecting you can get the compressor to spin for a little bit so you can charge it. It will stop when it codes out. I just kept repeating that until it would run , then charged it up. Finding the leak would be good so you don't have to go through this again. A good shop can do it. And don't ever use any kind of leak stop. It will stop more than the leak.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:32 PM
Moosecvt
Cruising

First Off I wanted to thank everyone who replied to my issue I greatly appreciate your input. I printed off the diagnostic codes and ran the tests. I got a 09 code low freon detected. So to my understanding as soon as this code appears the system will not work is this correct? Also why would I want to make the switch to R134a if I can get R12 with sealant? And regarding an amp for my rear speaker is there any websites or phone numbers of places where I can get this specific part? Thanks Again Everyone!
Old 09-09-2006, 06:59 PM
93*Corvette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Moosecvt
First Off I wanted to thank everyone who replied to my issue I greatly appreciate your input. I printed off the diagnostic codes and ran the tests. I got a 09 code low freon detected. So to my understanding as soon as this code appears the system will not work is this correct? Also why would I want to make the switch to R134a if I can get R12 with sealant? And regarding an amp for my rear speaker is there any websites or phone numbers of places where I can get this specific part? Thanks Again Everyone!
If a code 09 is set, nothing will work. To reset it, disconnect the battery. If it sets again, then put some more freon in it.
Yes, I would stick with R12 if it is just low. The license to buy R12 is so simple to get. However, if your completely out of R12, then I would convert. On my 93 a hose broke, thus my converting over to R134
Old 05-02-2018, 07:49 PM
Harrystegall
8th Gear

92 corvette fully charged ac blows super cold after 20 min compressor cuts off air not cold... Cut car off for 30 seconds air and compressor comes back on blows cold for 20 or so minutes same routine. Is it a low pressure or high pressure switch malfunction?

Get notified of new replies

To 1992 Corvette AC Question

Quick Reply: 1992 Corvette AC Question