C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Can you change your fuel filter with the car on jack stands?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2001, 11:25 PM
Scott LeMuke
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you change your fuel filter with the car on jack stands?

I found it to be very difficult to get two wrenches on the fuel filter with the car only elevated by jack stands about a foot off the ground.

The lower nut on the low side of the filter was fairly easy to reach. But the nut on the high side of the filter was not visible from under the car, being hidden by the cat and a fuel line.

How do you guys do it?

Why is the filter located in such an inconvenient location?

Can the fuel filter be relocated to a more convenient location? Has anyone done it?

I'll appreciate any help on this matter.
Old 09-13-2001, 11:32 PM
Nomar116
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Can you change your fuel filter with the car on jack stands? (Scott LeMuke)

Im also curious even where the thing is located. I thought it was by the fuel filler cap and you had to remove the lid and etc to get at it.... Guess not though
Old 09-13-2001, 11:33 PM
Chris@SD
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Can you change your fuel filter with the car on jack stands? (Scott LeMuke)

You can do it with the car on jack stands. I have done it that way. You really only need to hold the top one and then turn the filter. Can you feed you hand and a wrench up there and feel the wrench into place? You should be able to. Then put a wrench on the lower end of the filter and turn.
Good luck,
Old 09-13-2001, 11:33 PM
88WHITE VETTE
Pro

I did mine when was on jacks about 18" of the ground. But it's 88 and I am not sure how is it on LT1.
Whatever you do, just be very, very carefull when you do this. I know one guy that did this on his car and he splash some fuel on his clothes and was using electric lamp and ignited the fuel and he was on fire :eek:
:nono: :nono: Be very carefull!!!!!
Ziggy

PS,
It's no joke and all of you that are going to do this in their garages, please use caution!!!! Use cordless lamp, don't use electrical lamp.
Old 09-13-2001, 11:58 PM
A
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Can you change your fuel filter with the car on jack stands? (88WHITE VETTE)

Well... Romeo and I removed, rebuilt, and replaced my transmission with the car up on jackstands :yesnod: :smash: so I bet you can ;)

BTW I hear there's 2 fuel filters! :confused:
Old 09-14-2001, 12:08 AM
NX1991
Instructor

Default Re: Can you change your fuel filter with the car on jack stands? (A)

I just did mine an hour ago....its located behind the right front wheel on the frame. I drove mine up on the ramps. I got a short pair from autozone and it works great. I used to use the same on my WS6 Formula. Takes about 20 min to change and get ready to get a ton of gas on you. Depressurize your fuel system first through the fuel test port on your fuel rail. Then go to work. just a note.. I am still washing the Gas smell off of me.. hope this helps..
Old 09-14-2001, 12:19 AM
AquaMetallic94LT1
Safety Car

Default Re: Can you change your fuel filter with the car on jack stands? (NX1991)

I did mine with a rolling floor jack. Be sure the O rings stay on each side of the fuel line before you put on the filter. I would try to catch the fuel and shield myself from it as it comes out and get out of there while its dripping.

Hey GM that was a really stupid place to put the filter. :cuss
Old 09-14-2001, 12:51 AM
Don Martin
Drifting

Default Re: Can you change your fuel filter with the car on jack stands? (AquaMetallic94LT1)

There is a proceedure published here by auto writer Hib Halverson which I see here has been forgotten.

Get the gasoline out of the line by taking the gas cap off, pulling the fuse on the fuel pump and starting and running the engine til it stalls. Be very carefull as reported here of gasoline, some will still spill.

Take the bracket off of the fuel filter and you can pull it away from the frame and get at the nuts. Start by removing the nut from the rear of the fiter. Remember with all plumping always use two wrenches, turning one against the other. Next put a small wrench on the nut that goes into the filter towards the engine and let it jam against the frame. Now turn the filter off of that nut from the rear of the filter.

If you are big or old or worse big and old like me it will be very hard to get under there but it can be done. Be very careful and look out for those little O rings. Don't loose them from the filter connection. It would be much better to have new O rings ahead of time.
Old 09-14-2001, 02:29 AM
pablocruise
Le Mans Master

Just did this also. Caution: watch where you put the jack's top part. I crushed the fuel supply line :cuss . Hack sawed out the lower 12 inches, bought a 12 dollar line splice kit, bent it and re-installed it. I recall a triangualar bracket/sheild held by 2 screws whose removal makes it easier. BTW, use flare-nut wrenches. You can do it. It's easy.
Old 09-14-2001, 10:24 AM
Mikez40
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I did mine on jack stands. I also removed the rear front fender well. It made it easier to get to the top bolt on the fuel filter. The filter was the easy part, I had a heck of a time tring to put the screw back in the backet that holds the filter in place. All I did was open the gas cap, let the car sit over night, unscrewed the bottom part of the filter until it started leeking, put a pan under it, let it sit for about few minutes and then with it stopped dripping I replaced it.
Old 09-14-2001, 08:02 PM
Colorado Chuck
Instructor

Default Re: Can you change your fuel filter with the car on jack stands? (Mikez40)

I was going to change my filter a week or two ago, and when I saw how hard it was to get even one wrench on that upper or forward nut, I quit. There are some great tips here, and I intend to do it this time! Thanks, guys! :seeya
Old 09-14-2001, 08:06 PM
Springer's LT4
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Default Re: Can you change your fuel filter with the car on jack stands? (Colorado Chuck)

wow.. I did mine on just a single floor jack when it died on me in NY.. didn't have any special tools or anything. . took about 20 minutes and a good shower of gas.

On some cars the fuel filter is buried so bad that the factory says to just leave it during a 60,000 mile service.. just wipe it off with a rag to give it a new appearence.
Old 09-14-2001, 11:12 PM
GRX
Le Mans Master

Have a fire extinguisher near in case something goes wrong.

Get notified of new replies

To Can you change your fuel filter with the car on jack stands?

Quick Reply: Can you change your fuel filter with the car on jack stands?