C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

94 Wont start

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2001, 11:46 AM
meliudaj
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Wont start

What I'm getting has to do with the starter. Sometimes it will start some times it wont. The times that it doesn't start I can still hear the starter Kick the gear up into place but just can't turn the motor. (most likely bad starter)

The question is this. Does it most likely sound like the starter motor or the Solenoid??? And can they be purchased separate or is it worth it?

:smash:
Old 09-14-2001, 12:19 PM
Rich_01659
Burning Brakes

Default Re: 94 Wont start (meliudaj)

if you hear it kick in then the solenoid is fine. check your cables (battery , starter) for good CLEAN connections.
Old 09-14-2001, 12:23 PM
meliudaj
Advanced

Default Re: 94 Wont start (Rich_01659)

I just swaped out the Battery. It was shot! (the origanal battery)

So I know that connection is ok.

I will try just pulling off and re-connecting the cables on the starter and see what that does for me before ordering a starter.
Old 09-14-2001, 04:35 PM
traxx1
Racer

I have fought your starter problem all summer long, put in new starter (ac delco) new positive cable,heat wrap around starter,cleaned all cablesand when the car is hot (89 roadster) it justs clicks on the solenoid and after it cools down a bit it will start again,don't know what to do next, battery checks out fine,13.9 amp charge, I think it is a winter car and will start great this winter.

:confused: :confused:
Old 09-15-2001, 12:08 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Some auto parts places will test your starter for you. Measure the battery volts when the starter is engaged. The voltage should not fall below 9.0 volts or the battery is defective or discharged. If batt volts is ok, then measure the voltage at the starter to be certain that the connection resistance is very low.
Starter volts should also not fall below 9.0 volts. The solenoid engages the drive gear and makes connection to the starter motor. The switch on the solenoid may not be making good contact. Also , the starter motor brushes may be worn out and not making connection to the commutator. Removing the starter and looking at the solenoid contacts and the starter brushes may indicate where the problem is.
Old 09-15-2001, 01:41 AM
Zora
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Hope its not your Opti-spark. A friend of mine has a 94...had to replace it twice so far.

Get notified of new replies

To 94 Wont start

Quick Reply: 94 Wont start