C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Roller Rock QUESTION?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2001, 01:32 PM
Vette Ed
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

Default Roller Rock QUESTION?

I am thinking of putting 1.6 roller rockers on my '95 LT1. Is this a "DIRECT" boilt-on? Will I have to change valve springs? Will I have enough valve to piston clearance? :chevy
Old 09-15-2001, 02:23 PM
Chris@SD
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Roller Rock QUESTION? (Vette Ed)

My suggestion would be to go with the Comp Cams Pro Magnum Roller Rockers. they are the strongest, leghtest over the valve weight, and overall best. You will have to trim the inside of your valvecovers to clear the RR's though. This is very easy with any kind of dremel or grinder. Should take you all of 15 minutes or less.
If you have high miles, it might be a good idea to change your valve springs, but not necessary. You will have no P to V problems with the stock shortblock and camshaft.
We sell these in our Corvette Forum Mall as a stand alone or a complete package which includes 7/16" studs(which are a direct replacement for the stock studs) chromolly pushrods, and guideplates. You will need everything in the kit to successfully change from stock.
Let me know if I can help.
Old 09-15-2001, 09:34 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I don't see any reason to change to RR alone without making other mods.
Old 09-16-2001, 03:03 AM
nitrojunky
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

This is a direct bolt on, but as always, it will take some time to bolt in.

I'm running the Pro Magnum setup in my car; it works well, but some slight valvecover modification was necessary.

I'd change the springs. I got away with it on a car before, but I think it's worth it to at least get some LT4 springs and install them. You're pushing it with the 6.67% extra lift and extra rpm on the stocker springs.

I've also run the Crane Gold self aligning rockers (similar to the stock LT4 rockers) and they worked fine, however the Pro Magnums will be a much stronger setup if you plan to do other mods in the future.

For an extra $15, you might also look into a LT4 knock sensor so your computer won't pull out some extra knock retard due to the added noise of the rockers.
Old 09-16-2001, 08:46 AM
TSLAVette
Drifting

Received 292 Likes on 157 Posts

Default Re: Roller Rock QUESTION? (mackeyred96)

Somewhat agree with John, although the 1.6's will make a difference alone. The object is to allow the engine to "breathe" - more O2 in, more exhaust gases out. 1.6's simply allow more o2/fuel in & more exhaust gases out of the cylinder after combustion. With this in mind & to John's point, mods like a larger TB, ram/cold air intake & free-flowing cat back exhaust will give you decent synergy in your setup.

I felt a nice SOTP gain from my rockers which I bought from Chris @ Speed Demon ... a good guy to do business with! :cool:
Old 09-16-2001, 04:34 PM
No Go
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Roller Rock QUESTION? (Greenwnv)

I agree the rockers are only a small return on investment as far as HP is concerned. The advantage is they are relatively easy to install and have very few drawbacks.

Probably the reason the larger throttle bodies are so popular.

I would still perform the modification.

Good Luck.
Old 09-16-2001, 05:04 PM
Nitro Junkie
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Roller Rock QUESTION? (nitrojunky)

Someone is trying to steal my handle!!!
Old 09-17-2001, 01:25 AM
nitrojunky
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: Roller Rock QUESTION? (Nitro Junkie)

Sorry man, didn't know it was taken.

It's my handle on other boards I post on, but I decided to start hanging out on a Vette board because that's probably going to be my next acquisiton.

I'll work up another handle.
Old 09-18-2001, 09:34 AM
silver & red CE
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Roller Rock QUESTION? (2FST4U)

.....If you have high miles, it might be a good idea to change your valve springs, but not necessary. You will have no P to V problems with the stock shortblock and camshaft.
Chris,
There's not any clearence trouble with 1.6 RR, but have you measured the max lift on LT1 springs? I have a set of later springs (97 replacement crate LT1 engine) and the springs are crushed with a max lift of 0.500". The max lift on a stock LT1 cam with 1.6 rockers is ~0.490", I don't think it's wise to use the stock springs no matter how many miles they have.

Eric
Old 09-18-2001, 05:51 PM
codyusa
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran

I thought someone told me it was going to stay stock. Hmmm. By the way, I'm using the Comp Pro Magnum 1.6 on mine. Later

Get notified of new replies

To Roller Rock QUESTION?

Quick Reply: Roller Rock QUESTION?