C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

HUD for C4's now available - Drag racers & autocrossers look inside!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2001, 11:02 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Default Re: HUD for C4's now available - Drag racers & autocrossers look inside! (Joe90)

Joe / Bill:

Here is my correspondance from them. They seem very up front. Bill was correct, the sports model does not support MPH, just KPH. :sad:

Thank you for your inquiry.
Please let us answer your inquiries.
1. Can you guarantee that this unit is compatible with
the ECM Computer on a stock 1990 Chevy Corvette?

> We're extremely sorry, but we can't get the full
information if our Sports V.S.D. will work on your car or not. To install it,
the speed pulse needs to be any of 2, 4, 8, or 16 and the number of cylinders needs to be any of 3, 4, 5, 6, or 8(4cycles).
We would appreciate if you would ask the local dealer of your car.

2. You web site mentions that the cost of the unit is $230 delivered from Japan to the US. However, it also says that there may be 'customs' charges. How much do these customs charges cost?
>In case that you live in Michigan or California in the US, the sales tax should be needed. For Michigan, 6% to your total amount will be charged to you. For California, 8.25% to your total amount will be charged to you.

3. Is the visibility of the display good in bright sunlight? Is its visibility poor under certain angles of the sun? Under what conditions would the display not be readible?
>As you think, it is true it is quite hard to see the projection of the Sports V.S.D. especially when the sun is glaring. For your info., VSDII can be adjust the brightness of it, though. Mostly the projection of the display is visible. Included display film will help the visibility on the windshield.

Last but not least, we are really sorry for inability to display in MPH for the Sports VSD. We had tried to release it but we had to give up for various reasons. Again, sorry for any inconvenience.

I hope this e-mail helps you. And we are looking forward to your further interest in our products.

Thank you,
Defi-Shop

So it looks like the basic unit is the one we need to consider.

I guess I'll have to break open the service manuals to see which leads on the ECM these correspond to and I hope it desribes the speed pulse the ECM provides.

Flame Red
Old 09-25-2001, 06:04 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Default Re: HUD for C4's now available - Drag racers & autocrossers look inside! (Joe90)

Found another source for this:
http://www.machv.com/headupdisboo.html

More $$$, but interesting installation pictures of one on a bright day (in a shadow??)

Another site with installation experience on a Camaro: http://hud.cz28.com/

Acording to this, it won't work in a GM car.

Flame Red
Old 09-25-2001, 09:20 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Re: HUD for C4's now available - Drag racers & autocrossers look inside! (Flame Red)

That is some interesting stuff flame red!

Checked out the window display they have on the boost timer/gauge. It does not look too bad.

Joe,
it is my inderstanding that all the money for the HUD in the C5 is in the windsheild glass itself.
No, 200 is not a lot of money, but IMHO, they are so close to having a great set up, it bums me out they do not wish to improve upon it.

I think the Sport version, with the tach band would be killer if it was in MPH, and the tach bar had numbers around the outside band that showed what RPMS you were at, just like the C5 has. I dont think that adding these 2 features would kill the wallet, or be to technical to do.
Old 09-26-2001, 10:18 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Default Re: HUD for C4's now available - Drag racers & autocrossers look inside! (bill mcdonald)

Bill,

I concur - their sports model would be a killer if supported MPH and would have been compatible. I check Helms service manual and confirmed that the speed sensor off the tranny pulses at 4000/mile. I could not find any information as to how the ECM feeds the information to the CCM which feeds the speedometer. Was kind of hoping I would have found somthing that matched the 2,4,8 or 16 speed pulse they were talking about. I suppose that the Camaro guy would have found it if there were any.

Too bad - would have been very :cool: Hard to pass up a cool gadget :sad:

I also found this nice little article about the C-5 HUD. http://www.stanford.edu/~mnordvik/cs147/huds.html They do not have very kind things to say about the Nippon Seiki's HUD unit we were discussing. However, this company does make and sell the C-5 cluster. is BIG $$$.

Oh, well - too good to have been true :nono:

Flame Red

Quick Reply: HUD for C4's now available - Drag racers & autocrossers look inside!