C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1988 - 4+3 - Console Removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 01:46 PM
thomastl
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 1988 - 4+3 - Console Removal

I have an aftermarket Richmond Gear 6 speed. A problem has developed in the shifter. I have the parts and everything to fix.
Here's the thing - setting at work and wandering what I am about to get into in terms of getting to it.
I have to completely remove the console (not just the top but the entire thing) in order to get down to the under boot and get the bolts out. I know this because I have had the top off the console several times and have seen the bolts holding the access plate on.
Question - what all has to come out. I think the front of the dash both drivers and passenger and center along w/ the top of the console and then start pulling out the rest of the console but not sure. Just wandering if anyone else has been down this far and knows what will be involved. I have the books at home but just wandering while I am setting at work.

Thanks,
Tony
Old 10-30-2006, 03:37 PM
Thrak
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

insturment cluster panel (the surrounding plastic, not the LED), passenger side dash (bread box, etc) then the center piece w/ that has the vents, radio/HVAC bezel, then the panel aroudn the shifter, then the panel under that.

Its not that hard, just alot of screws.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:45 PM
thomastl
Burning Brakes

Thats what I was thinking. It all has to come out. Just going to take some time to get it out and back in.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:50 PM
Yellow2015
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are screws around the lip of the console glove box and the locking cylinder then you can slide out the side panel with the carpet attached. This is if you go at it from the drivers side which is where I went when replacing the OD switch. Of course the drivers seat must also be removed. As far as I know you shouldn't have to mess with the "breadbox" which is probably THE hardest thing to remove.
Once these are removed you will have total access to the shifter assembly........
Old 10-30-2006, 09:48 PM
thomastl
Burning Brakes

Thanks,
Will give it a try.

Get notified of new replies

To 1988 - 4+3 - Console Removal

Quick Reply: 1988 - 4+3 - Console Removal