C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Sparco Evo Seat in a C4?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2001, 10:49 AM
No Go
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Sparco Evo Seat in a C4?

Looking for advice on how to install an aftermarket seat into the driver's side of a 1996 Coupe. It currently has base level seats with a power adjuster. Maintaining the power adjuster is not a factor.

I'm leaning toward a Sparco Evo mainly because I have seen others use it on the forum, but am open to others-price is a consideration-no Kevlar unfortunately.

The car will be used for competition events and weight loss/driver position is a concern.

Thanks for the help as I've not had any experience in replacing seats and/or rails.

[Modified by No Go, 3:49 PM 9/24/2001]
Old 09-24-2001, 04:18 PM
JasonL
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Sparco Evo Seat in a C4? (No Go)

On many cars including C4s, you just undo the four nuts holding the seat to the studs protruding from the floor pan. Then the seat+rail+motors all comes out as one (heavy) unit.

I believe most aftermarket seats will require a seat rail specific to the car you're installing it in. You bolt the seat to the rail, then you bolt the rail to the car.

Pretty simple, really...mostly a matter of seat preference and what will fit in the car. Yesterday I just drove my brother's Camaro with a Corbeau A4, and it's quite nice actually. I have a narrow frame though. Probably go with that seat myself.
Old 09-24-2001, 05:54 PM
No Go
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Sparco Evo Seat in a C4? (JasonL)

Thanks JasonL. Guess I need to clarify-I've had the stock seat out several times. I looking for some direction on what is easiest way to install a seat-kit or simple bracket that someone else has come up with, etc.

I had emailed Corbeau and they replied that even with their custom rails-fabrication would be required. I would like to do it myself, but have limited fabrication capability.

Again any info is appreciated!
Old 09-24-2001, 10:15 PM
JasonL
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oops, sorry for my incorrect assumption. I guess we're in the same boat then! :D

I need to do more research myself but I'm also considering Cobra seats. www.subesports.com Hmm.
Old 09-24-2001, 10:41 PM
PylonBoy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Corbeau seat on my race car and I bought their custom rails for the install. I think that would be much more simple that trying to adapt the stock rails and safer too. I would hope that Sparco does the same thing. If they don't, I recommend getting a Corbeau seat w/ their custom rails. No drilling neccessary!
Old 09-24-2001, 11:06 PM
No Go
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Sparco Evo Seat in a C4? (PylonBoy)

PylonBoy: Which Corbeau seat do you have? What year of Corvette?

As I stated above, I had emailed Corbeau and they replied that fabrication would still be needed to install their seat even with their seat rails. If this is indeed a bolt in, then quite possibly a Corbeau it is...

Thanks.
Old 09-25-2001, 08:37 AM
PylonBoy
Instructor

As I stated above, I had emailed Corbeau and they replied that fabrication would still be needed to install their seat even with their seat rails.
Oops, I missed that part.

It's not in a corvette :D , but it is in a car that you commonly woudln't put performance parts on. I got el cheapie bottom of the line fixed back seat. I can't tell you the model name.

Did they tell you exactly what needed to be fabricated? I don't understand that you would need to mess around with their rails.
Old 09-26-2001, 02:14 PM
FrankLT4CE
Racer

I don't know about the aftermarket seat, but I did get a good weight savings by switching to C4 manual seat rails (I seem to remember 4 lbs per seat??). The manual seat rails seem to be an unwanted item by used parts dealers, and I wouldn't pay over $20 for a pair. (I got both pairs for $20.) They are also generic in having a flat top surface just as the power seat has so they might easily work with many aftermarket seats. If you eliminate the power seats you could also eliminate the wiring harness for the seats, it is quite heavy (guessing 8 lbs). Good luck. FrankLT4
Old 09-26-2001, 07:51 PM
No Go
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Sparco Evo Seat in a C4? (FrankLT4CE)

PylonBoy: I expected a bolt in as well so was surprised at the response. Maybe they didn't understand my question as others (on Racing Forum) have had better luck with the rails.

FrankLT4CE: I was thinking along those lines. Not many places where you can reduce weight without large ramifications (I certainly can adjust my own seat-or bolt it in one position).

Thanks for the help.

[Modified by No Go, 5:51 PM 9/26/2001]

Get notified of new replies

To Sparco Evo Seat in a C4?

Quick Reply: Sparco Evo Seat in a C4?