C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

86 Floor repair

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 08:48 PM
Stealthvette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 86 Floor repair

I recently had a custom alignment done on a high end Hunter alignment rack. Unfortunately, my very low 86 Coupe rubbed the bottom going on, no problem, but on the way off the rack the leading edge of the ramp hooked on the metal protective cover on the front leading edge of the drivers side footwell and ripped it along with a good sized chunk of fiberglass off.

Anybody ever have to get this repair done? Or, ideas on how, or who (in the south Atlanta area) can do the job right.

Thanks,
Ben
Old 01-10-2007, 08:54 PM
Bob CTS
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

This had happened to my 86 before I bought it, here is what I did:

Removed the seat and carpet on that side.
Straightened the metal bracket
Fiberglassed the hole with resin and Kevlar cloth (I had access to Kevlar other fiberglass cloth will work). I had to make a form so it matched. Painted both sides and to the untrained eye you would not even be able to tell.

For a shop, I can not help you there.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:00 PM
nyernga
Drifting

I suffered similar damage after running over something in the road. I raised the car, mixed up some body filller and put several layers covering the hole. After it hardened I ground and sanded it to the shape of the undercarriage. When I was happy, I painted it black and reattached the heat shield with screws........

hope this helps.........

If all else fails, I have a buddy in Hampton who owns a restoration shop and he specializes in Corvettes.

Last edited by nyernga; 01-10-2007 at 09:03 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 86 Floor repair

Quick Reply: 86 Floor repair