C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Well it's official, I have to change my L98 intake gasket

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 09:55 PM
SEA4
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Well it's official, I have to change my L98 intake gasket

When I bought this car I noticed some traces of oil on the rear of the block..nothing major, no fresh drips on the driveway so it is not a bad leak.. I figured I would have to do the intake gasket 'at some point'.. Well, that some point turns out to be now

I had my car up on a lift today to replace the starter and noticed a fresh drip of coolant under the front crossmember.. my first thought was waterpump, but noooooo.. after carefully tracing the stain up the block I found fresh stains and some coolant right up where the drivers side front intake manifold bolt goes into the head.. that front corner has some dark green staining that goes towards the rear for a few inches as well.

So now I am gathering all the information I can on replacing the intake gaskets. I've done this same sort of job on a 3.0 Taurus SHO motor, but as 'fun' as that was, it didn't involve taking a distributor out.. I've never done that before.

I'm going to try this job myself..It's only nuts and bolts right?

I'd like some recommendations for the best gasket set to get, and the best rtv to make the front and back seals with.. also, anything else that I might want to replace as preventative maintenance since I'll have a bunch of stuff apart.

Thanks..wish me luck~
Old 03-29-2007, 10:39 PM
CaminoSS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the same boat as you. I do not have the time right now to do the job so I keep throwing in stop leak. It takes care of teh problem for a period of time and I know that this stuff is bad, but it is hanging in there.

You will probably get as many different opinions on gaskets as you would on asking about mufflers. Fel Pro and Mr Gasket are inexpensive and get the job done.

Just make sure that you mark the distributor alignment well so that when you put it all back you have an easy time.

Have fun and know that I am only a couple of weeks behind you!
Old 03-29-2007, 11:30 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

There was a recent post on doing the intake base gaskets & seals; do a search for my detailed response on the dist issue as well as hints on a leak free seal job.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:50 PM
VetteVet86
Instructor

Are you sure that the leak isn't from the bolt itself. On some heads, the bolt holes in the heads are not blind, but go through into the coolant passage. If the gasket was previously replaced and the bolts were not sealed with thread sealant, that would cause a leak. Might be worth a check before you rip everything out. I know that you were planning on eventually changing it anyway because of the oil leak, but if that solved the coolant leak, at least you could address the (very minor) oil leak at the time of your choosing.

Just my .02 cents.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:53 AM
SEA4
Racer

Originally Posted by VetteVet86
Are you sure that the leak isn't from the bolt itself. On some heads, the bolt holes in the heads are not blind, but go through into the coolant passage. If the gasket was previously replaced and the bolts were not sealed with thread sealant, that would cause a leak. Might be worth a check before you rip everything out. I know that you were planning on eventually changing it anyway because of the oil leak, but if that solved the coolant leak, at least you could address the (very minor) oil leak at the time of your choosing.

Just my .02 cents.

Hmmm.. I had not thought of that.. I'll snap a picture of the area in question and post it after work.. maybe someone can tell me if that particular bolt has exposure to a coolant passage.. the manifold has some moisture up around that bolt, not just at the seam of the manifold and head so it is worth looking into for sure~

and also, thanks 65Z01, I've already got the information you posted copied into a Word document for future reference
Old 03-30-2007, 09:51 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Cruise-In II Veteran

I use Permatex #2 on the bolt threads holding the base to the heads. And I chase the bolts & holes with a rethread die & tap.

For gaskets I use the FelPro Top End Gasket Set from Auto Zone.

Hope cleaning the bolts & retorque seals the leaks for you.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:25 AM
tequilaboy
Melting Slicks

Received 256 Likes on 214 Posts

Good excuse to upgrade to an aftermarket base.

I'd hate to pull an L98 intake again only to fix a leak. Its really not that bad of a job, but if you're going through the trouble might as well reap some benefits.

My intake has been off twice. Once to fix a coolant leak (I upgraded to SLP runners that time), and once again to replace the lifters (this time I upgraded to a bigmouth base and SR uppers while I was at it).

I should have upgraded the base the first time around.

Next time it comes off, better heads will be going on.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:15 AM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Use the "Right Stuff" for the china walls and get a high quality #45 torx bit.

There are over 40 torx bolts that have to be removed and a cheap torx bit will break eventually. Torque the intake bolts to 35 ft. lbs.

Last edited by GKK; 03-30-2007 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:47 AM
SEA4
Racer

Here's the pictures, but the more I look at it, the more I think I'll just dive in and do the job.. The car is 18 years old, I might as well freshen everything up and give the top half of the motor a good cleaning.

It's a good excuse to change the thermostat, water pump, belts and hoses and all that.. make sure everything is tip top for a while to come..

There's the bolt that has the obvious leak around it..

and here's the spatter that is showing up on the underside of the hood.. I wiped this all down and then drove 50 miles and it shows fresh spatter again.

Time to get dirty and make things right
Old 03-30-2007, 01:35 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Cruise-In II Veteran

I think you're right.

BTW, blow off around the intake base to avoid crap falling into the valley; it's really messy picking junk out of there.

Also use an eye dropper to remove all coolant from the T-stat hole in the base. After doing that there were only a copla small drops of coolant in the valley.

Good luck and have fun...
Old 03-30-2007, 01:45 PM
caa5030
Instructor

Originally Posted by 65Z01
I think you're right.

BTW, blow off around the intake base to avoid crap falling into the valley; it's really messy picking junk out of there.

Also use an eye dropper to remove all coolant from the T-stat hole in the base. After doing that there were only a copla small drops of coolant in the valley.

Good luck and have fun...
When I did this i used my old wet/dry vac. It worked well.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:57 PM
tequilaboy
Melting Slicks

Received 256 Likes on 214 Posts

Sure its not simply leaking at the hose?

I rigged up a simple cooling system pressure tester using the small coolant hose that runs from the back of the intake to the heater hose, a schrader valve fitting and a small 12 volt compressor with built-in guage.

When pressurized, it was clear that my upper radiator hose was leaking at the thermostat neck.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:08 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Default Intake gasket leaks

The intake on my 85 leaked when new. The dealer reapired it and it leaked again several years later. I would recommend the Fel Pro gaskets. I install them using Ultra Silicone sealer gluing them to the head. I also use the Ultra Silicone on the ends (China wall) and a dab on the tip of each bolt to seal the threads.
Make sure you turn the motor over to #1 top dead center (TDC) before pulling the distributor. This will make re-installation much easier.
Also, I agree with getting a very good (Snap on) Torx socket as I broke a Craftsman when doing mine.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:29 PM
sami85L98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is a good info with pics and detailed explanation of intake swap on vader's website.

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/vader86/
Old 03-31-2007, 12:43 PM
excessive81
Safety Car

did i miss it i was all over that site and couldn't find the intake gasket swap...mini ram yes stock ...well no! good site thought for sure! i started this myself yesterday. not sure how far i will go before i start putting it back together becasue i am sick in the head. valve covers had to be pulled as i don think you will ever get the last four bolts out with out doing so. i planned on it anyway to install the felpro rubber ones but guess what i found already there!!!! and the hypertech coil, bigger rockers...some times you just get lucky i guess...lol

Last edited by excessive81; 03-31-2007 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:40 PM
SEA4
Racer

Default No turning back now~!

I 'worked from home' today and spent a few hours in the garage getting things torn down..

I've done intakes before but never a TPI setup and I've never even pulled a distributor.. Things seem to be going well though, I'm taking notes, using little zip lock baggies, taking pictures of how subsytems should look before I pull it apart so I can reference them later.. So far, no stripped bolts or broken sensor/wires/connectors.

I've got the intake out of the car..I'm now removing the AIR system. Next, the valve covers will come off for reconditioning and gaskets.

I'm going to do some clean up while I've got this much apart, and I'm going to change the fuel injectors, water pump and serpentine belt while I'm at it as well.. Car is 18 years old after all.. Worth the preventative maintenance to not have to do something a month from now that would be easiest to do right now while I've got so much apart.

Here's were I stand

and here's the intake on the bench.. Going to take some work to get this thing looking new again

I'll post an update next time I get to spend a few hours with the car.. lots of cleaning needs to be done!

ps. Did I mention that I've got 4 new rotors, Porterfield R4S pads, caliper paint, and 4 brand spankin new Bilstein Z51 shocks sitting here waiting to go on as well ?
Old 04-03-2007, 02:12 AM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

Default sealing surfaces

BTW, do not use a wire wheel on aluminum. If you do, you better buy the thickest best gaskets you can buy.

Get notified of new replies

To Well it's official, I have to change my L98 intake gasket

Old 04-03-2007, 02:19 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by coupeguy2001
BTW, do not use a wire wheel on aluminum. If you do, you better buy the thickest best gaskets you can buy.
Too late. Hopefully it wasn't a heavy wire wheel.

Use a razor blade.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:02 AM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SEA4
Here's the pictures, but the more I look at it, the more I think I'll just dive in and do the job.. The car is 18 years old, I might as well freshen everything up and give the top half of the motor a good cleaning.
That's what I said the first time I pulled the heads. That lead to a bunch of "might as well while I'm in there's" :

Old 04-03-2007, 03:09 AM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SEA4
and here's the intake on the bench.. Going to take some work to get this thing looking new again

Why bother trying to clean things like this yourself. PITA and you won't get it as clean. I gladly paid my local machine shop a nominal fee for them to do all this dirty work for me. While they did this, I degreased under the hood. Then I just picked up the parts which looked better than new and buttoned the motor back up. Just keep all bracketry, screws, and bolts at home with you. It's best to hand them bare parts with nothing for them to loose.

Quick Reply: Well it's official, I have to change my L98 intake gasket