Blower Motor runs constantly - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Blower Motor runs constantly

Old 04-02-2007, 05:31 PM
  #1  
Reggie88
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Mar 2007
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Blower Motor runs constantly

1988 Corvette with the C68 electronic A/C control. Is the fault possibly the 3 inch square module on the right side of the evaporator case beside the blower motor under the hood? If So where could I get one of these. Is there a blower motor relay and where would it be located? Thanks for any help with this?
Reggie88 is offline  
Old 04-02-2007, 10:14 PM
  #2  
CFI-EFI
CF Senior Member
 
CFI-EFI's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2000
Location: The Top of Utah
Posts: 17,298
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Whatever you do, don't "fix it'. I can remember if it was the late 60's or the early 70's that GM went to constant (key "On") hvac blower motor operation.

RACE ON!!!
CFI-EFI is offline  
Old 04-02-2007, 10:43 PM
  #3  
jfb
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2001
Location: Cincinnati, Oh USA
Posts: 48,341
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

A better description would help diagnosis. The blower control module (on top of the evaporator housing) gets a signal from the dash controller and supplies power to the blower motor. Ignition off, the blower motor should not run and if it does, the blower control module is defective.
It is normal for the blower motor to run, depending on the speed commanded by the dash controller EXCEPT when the dash controller is in OFF position.
jfb is offline  
Old 04-02-2007, 11:44 PM
  #4  
Electricblue80
CF Senior Member
 
Electricblue80's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2006
Location: Gautier MS
Posts: 153
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Where is the blower control module located?
Electricblue80 is offline  
Old 04-03-2007, 05:06 AM
  #5  
chevykevv
CF Senior Member
 
chevykevv's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2006
Location: Huntingdon Cambridge
Posts: 257
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I had a similar problem with my 89.
But the blower fan ran even with the engine off & key out of ignition.

Turned out to be the blower control module fitted on top of the blower fan.

Got one off ebay $49

Description: AC blower motor power module with part numbers of #15-72561 with 16061602 on the unit.

Don't know if this helps any?
chevykevv is offline  
Old 04-03-2007, 09:19 AM
  #6  
RWDsmoke
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2005
Location: San Antonio Tx
Posts: 681
Thanked 47 Times in 43 Posts
Default

The blower control module is located on top of the evaporator housing. It also controls the compressor. The same module was used on all GM cars with climate control for many years. I got one at pick-n-pull for $9.00 (half price day) off a '92 cadillac. (they almost all have climate control)
RWDsmoke is offline  
Old 04-03-2007, 10:13 AM
  #7  
Reggie88
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Mar 2007
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Blower runs constantly

All,
Thanks for all the timely feedback on this problem. I found the problem last night. I put the old module (ESC 203 (NAPA)) back in place on the right side of the evaporator case. Looking closer for a relay, I discovered the rubber hose from the back of the blower motor to the evap case was pulled off the evap case. I put it back on and the blower motor shut down. It fits a little loose so I tie wrapped it. All the blower control/speed/auto/heat works now.
Thanks Guys!!!
Reggie88 is offline  
Old 04-03-2007, 02:29 PM
  #8  
Ray Quayle
- 1986 Original Owner -
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Ray Quayle's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 1999
Location: North Yorkshire, England
Posts: 2,919
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Default

Originally Posted by chevykevv View Post
Got one off ebay $49
Kevv,
You didn't use the one I sent you then?
Ray Quayle is offline  
Old 04-03-2007, 11:59 PM
  #9  
SunCr
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Dec 2000
Location: San Diego, Ca
Posts: 7,839
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Reggie88 View Post
All,
Thanks for all the timely feedback on this problem. I found the problem last night. I put the old module (ESC 203 (NAPA)) back in place on the right side of the evaporator case. Looking closer for a relay, I discovered the rubber hose from the back of the blower motor to the evap case was pulled off the evap case. I put it back on and the blower motor shut down. It fits a little loose so I tie wrapped it. All the blower control/speed/auto/heat works now.
Thanks Guys!!!
You might want to check the electrical connector at the Blower Motor. All the hose does is provide cooling for the motor. Having it hooked up, or not hooked up, shouldn't shut off the motor. I'd wriggle it around to make sure there isn't an intermittent. Check for a discolored hot lead too which would indicate that it's dropping volts. You can improve that by taking the connector apart and soldering the terminals to the leads. You may have a faulty motor too. Easier to tell by seeing how many amps it pulling on high. Something north of 20 amps probably means it's worn out.
SunCr is offline  
Old 04-04-2007, 02:01 PM
  #10  
Reggie88
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Mar 2007
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Ok,
Sounds like good advice, will do this weekend.
Thanks
Reggie88 is offline  
Old 04-25-2007, 04:09 PM
  #11  
bowtie350_428
CF Senior Member
 
bowtie350_428's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2005
Location: San Antonio TX
Posts: 525
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hey Reggie88, give us a follow up. Did you ever find out where to get a new blower control module? I have the same problem on my 91 (climate control a/c) but I have not had any luck on finding a replacement control module.
bowtie350_428 is offline  
Old 04-25-2007, 04:11 PM
  #12  
bowtie350_428
CF Senior Member
 
bowtie350_428's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2005
Location: San Antonio TX
Posts: 525
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RWDsmoke View Post
The blower control module is located on top of the evaporator housing. It also controls the compressor. The same module was used on all GM cars with climate control for many years. I got one at pick-n-pull for $9.00 (half price day) off a '92 cadillac. (they almost all have climate control)
RWDSmoke, did you have any problems using the blower control module from the 92 cadillac? I too am from S.A. and I may just have to make a run to pick-a-pull and hunt down a cadi if I canít find a new unit.
bowtie350_428 is offline  
Old 04-14-2014, 02:29 PM
  #13  
lakeman208
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2014
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Blower runs all the time

Originally Posted by jfb View Post
A better description would help diagnosis. The blower control module (on top of the evaporator housing) gets a signal from the dash controller and supplies power to the blower motor. Ignition off, the blower motor should not run and if it does, the blower control module is defective.
It is normal for the blower motor to run, depending on the speed commanded by the dash controller EXCEPT when the dash controller is in OFF position.
Thanks, I replaced the module, and the blower stops, as it should, BUT now the wires that plug into the module gets REAL hot. I unpluged them so it wouldn't catch fire or melt. Have you had this condition ????
lakeman208 is offline  


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blower Motor runs constantly


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: