C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Blower Motor runs constantly

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 04:31 PM
Reggie88
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blower Motor runs constantly

1988 Corvette with the C68 electronic A/C control. Is the fault possibly the 3 inch square module on the right side of the evaporator case beside the blower motor under the hood? If So where could I get one of these. Is there a blower motor relay and where would it be located? Thanks for any help with this?
Old 04-02-2007, 09:14 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Whatever you do, don't "fix it'. I can remember if it was the late 60's or the early 70's that GM went to constant (key "On") hvac blower motor operation.

RACE ON!!!
Old 04-02-2007, 09:43 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

A better description would help diagnosis. The blower control module (on top of the evaporator housing) gets a signal from the dash controller and supplies power to the blower motor. Ignition off, the blower motor should not run and if it does, the blower control module is defective.
It is normal for the blower motor to run, depending on the speed commanded by the dash controller EXCEPT when the dash controller is in OFF position.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:44 PM
Electricblue80
Instructor

Where is the blower control module located?
Old 04-03-2007, 04:06 AM
chevykevv
Racer

I had a similar problem with my 89.
But the blower fan ran even with the engine off & key out of ignition.

Turned out to be the blower control module fitted on top of the blower fan.

Got one off ebay $49

Description: AC blower motor power module with part numbers of #15-72561 with 16061602 on the unit.

Don't know if this helps any?
Old 04-03-2007, 08:19 AM
RWDsmoke
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

The blower control module is located on top of the evaporator housing. It also controls the compressor. The same module was used on all GM cars with climate control for many years. I got one at pick-n-pull for $9.00 (half price day) off a '92 cadillac. (they almost all have climate control)
Old 04-03-2007, 09:13 AM
Reggie88
3rd Gear

Default Blower runs constantly

All,
Thanks for all the timely feedback on this problem. I found the problem last night. I put the old module (ESC 203 (NAPA)) back in place on the right side of the evaporator case. Looking closer for a relay, I discovered the rubber hose from the back of the blower motor to the evap case was pulled off the evap case. I put it back on and the blower motor shut down. It fits a little loose so I tie wrapped it. All the blower control/speed/auto/heat works now.
Thanks Guys!!!
Old 04-03-2007, 01:29 PM
Ray Quayle
- 1986 Original Owner -

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by chevykevv
Got one off ebay $49
Kevv,
You didn't use the one I sent you then?
Old 04-03-2007, 10:59 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Reggie88
All,
Thanks for all the timely feedback on this problem. I found the problem last night. I put the old module (ESC 203 (NAPA)) back in place on the right side of the evaporator case. Looking closer for a relay, I discovered the rubber hose from the back of the blower motor to the evap case was pulled off the evap case. I put it back on and the blower motor shut down. It fits a little loose so I tie wrapped it. All the blower control/speed/auto/heat works now.
Thanks Guys!!!
You might want to check the electrical connector at the Blower Motor. All the hose does is provide cooling for the motor. Having it hooked up, or not hooked up, shouldn't shut off the motor. I'd wriggle it around to make sure there isn't an intermittent. Check for a discolored hot lead too which would indicate that it's dropping volts. You can improve that by taking the connector apart and soldering the terminals to the leads. You may have a faulty motor too. Easier to tell by seeing how many amps it pulling on high. Something north of 20 amps probably means it's worn out.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:01 PM
Reggie88
3rd Gear

Ok,
Sounds like good advice, will do this weekend.
Thanks
Old 04-25-2007, 03:09 PM
bowtie350_428
Pro

Hey Reggie88, give us a follow up. Did you ever find out where to get a new blower control module? I have the same problem on my 91 (climate control a/c) but I have not had any luck on finding a replacement control module.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:11 PM
bowtie350_428
Pro

Originally Posted by RWDsmoke
The blower control module is located on top of the evaporator housing. It also controls the compressor. The same module was used on all GM cars with climate control for many years. I got one at pick-n-pull for $9.00 (half price day) off a '92 cadillac. (they almost all have climate control)
RWDSmoke, did you have any problems using the blower control module from the 92 cadillac? I too am from S.A. and I may just have to make a run to pick-a-pull and hunt down a cadi if I can’t find a new unit.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:29 PM
lakeman208
4th Gear

Default Blower runs all the time

Originally Posted by jfb
A better description would help diagnosis. The blower control module (on top of the evaporator housing) gets a signal from the dash controller and supplies power to the blower motor. Ignition off, the blower motor should not run and if it does, the blower control module is defective.
It is normal for the blower motor to run, depending on the speed commanded by the dash controller EXCEPT when the dash controller is in OFF position.
Thanks, I replaced the module, and the blower stops, as it should, BUT now the wires that plug into the module gets REAL hot. I unpluged them so it wouldn't catch fire or melt. Have you had this condition ????

Get notified of new replies

To Blower Motor runs constantly

Quick Reply: Blower Motor runs constantly