C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How much oil needed in AC system?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 12:21 AM
ACECO
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

Default How much oil needed in AC system?

My 84 was converted to R-134 by a PO. Currently it blows slightly cool but not cold. Compressor is a little noisy but the system does seem to hold pressure. No leaks that I can tell. W/o all the circumstances, I suspect between the oil, dyes and sealers in the system, there is not enough actual R-134.

I have an accumulator and a seal kit coming this week. After changing the parts I'm having the system "vacuumed" by a friend who is a commercial AC tech to try and get as much of whatever is in there, out. I searched for and read many recent threads about AC and noted it was indicated to use the correct oil for your vettes compressor.

My questions are:

1)What is the correct R-134a oil for an R4 compressor?

2)How much of this right oil does my 84's system need?

3)Approx how much R-134a should the system be charged with? I've heard 80% of the R-12 amount. Is this correct?

4)R-12 system indicates in two different spots both 2.25lbs and 2.75 lbs. Which is correct to use as a starting point?

TIA

Old 05-07-2007, 02:30 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry I don't know the answers, but I went here to find them:

www.autoacforum.com
Old 05-09-2007, 10:43 PM
1991 C4
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by ACECO
My 84 was converted to R-134 by a PO. Currently it blows slightly cool but not cold. Compressor is a little noisy but the system does seem to hold pressure. No leaks that I can tell. W/o all the circumstances, I suspect between the oil, dyes and sealers in the system, there is not enough actual R-134.

I have an accumulator and a seal kit coming this week. After changing the parts I'm having the system "vacuumed" by a friend who is a commercial AC tech to try and get as much of whatever is in there, out. I searched for and read many recent threads about AC and noted it was indicated to use the correct oil for your vettes compressor.

My questions are:

1)What is the correct R-134a oil for an R4 compressor?

2)How much of this right oil does my 84's system need?

3)Approx how much R-134a should the system be charged with? I've heard 80% of the R-12 amount. Is this correct?

4)R-12 system indicates in two different spots both 2.25lbs and 2.75 lbs. Which is correct to use as a starting point?

TIA

2.25 lbs is correct for stock

Estes 100 oil is needed for 134a and the system takes 8 ounces total.

Don't forget to put in a new deverter in it also they can get clogged.

You should refill the system till you have 25 to 28 lbs of pressure on the low side while running max air.
The top hose going into the ac evaporator should be cold but not icy.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:33 AM
Teyota
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless the system is completely clean of all oil which it won't be the only way to add the correct amount of oil is to empty each component you take off to replace in a measuring cup. Then only add the new oil to that amount. The oil likes to sit everywhere so just filling it to specs will overfill it and once again cause poor cooling performance. I do all mine and my friends vehicles. Have your friend get some HOTSHOT it works with 12 and 134A as a drop in replacement. No fussing with oil types.

Get notified of new replies

To How much oil needed in AC system?

Quick Reply: How much oil needed in AC system?