C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Welded Oil Pan/ Pinhole size leak??

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 11:31 AM
Brett Richmond
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Welded Oil Pan/ Pinhole size leak??

I have welded up a oil pan for a boat motor, there is one pin size leak where one of the welds are. I put water in it yesterday to test it for leaks and al small drop of water formed on the outside of the pan where the weld is. What can I use to cover up the weld that will keep it from leaking from inside to outside besides adding to the welded spot. Would JB weld work or is thee something else that would seal the pan from the inside??
Old 06-09-2007, 11:42 AM
ineVETTEable
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had excellent luck with JB weld in gas, water and antifreeze enviorments, but never used in oil type enviorment. however gas is a petroleum product. JB weld testimonials infer some guy repaired his tractor engine block and saved tons of $. Have you considered brazing the pinhole?
Old 06-09-2007, 11:55 AM
Demonic85
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've used JB Weld to fix a hole in my gas tank where somebody had shoved a screwdriver into it. Worked and still works pretty good. I would think since oil is thicker than gasoline that it should work just fine.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:05 PM
turbotim23
Pro

I used JB weld for a oil pan that leaked.Worked great,better than brazing which I tried first,brazing it just made the holes bigger and I worried about stuff getting in oil pan and hurting motor.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:39 PM
rick lambert
Le Mans Master

Guess I'm going against the grain here, but I'd simply grind out the area where the leak is and re-weld it. We built so many fuel tanks which we pressure tested and most had a leak(s), we'd simply hit that area light with a grinder and re-weld it, re-test it. I'm kinda finicky about using a product even as good as JB weld to patch an area like a fuel tank or oil pan, both critical areas.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:28 PM
billybonesmusic
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Marine Tex is another alternative, it works good.
Old 06-09-2007, 04:07 PM
johnnyevans
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brett, Rick has the right idea.
Don't patch, fix.
johnny
Old 06-09-2007, 06:34 PM
Brett Richmond
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Johnny, What's Up?? I did grind down the problem area and reweld it but I also put JB Weld on top of it to be on the safe, it is setting up right now and should be ready by tonight so in the morning I will put more water in it and see if it works this time. For what I had to do I was surprised that I only this one little leak. I will take some pics of the pan and post them to show what a pain it was to get this thing finished.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:51 PM
johnnyevans
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go for it! Did you do it yourself?
Finally started using your template, made a cardboard layout of it, picked up the DOM tubing today, may start tomorrow.
johnny
Old 06-10-2007, 08:39 AM
bldavis11
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brett, Consider using a primer/filler product like the ProSeal line. That stuff is sprayed into the wing tanks of aircraft to make them water tight.

Get notified of new replies

To Welded Oil Pan/ Pinhole size leak??

Quick Reply: Welded Oil Pan/ Pinhole size leak??