C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

'94 30k miles stalls and ALMOST starts. Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 07:53 AM
mag1979
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '94 30k miles stalls and ALMOST starts. Please Help

I have a 94 LT1 which I purchased a few years ago. I am the 3rd owner. The car was garaged all it's life and as long as I have owned it never driven in the rain. It has only 30K miles on it. The only problem I have had with it in the 5 years I have owned it is a coroded battery terminal/dead battery and the power steering fluid has leaked ever so slightly in the past. I usually drive the car only on weekends and quite often it will sit for 2 weeks without being used. This past saturday I went to start the car up and the battery level was low (The battery level gets too low to start if I let the car sit any longer than 2 weeks) so I gave it a jump and pulled it out of the garage I store it in. I let it sit in the driveway and idle for 20 mins while I did some other things. I was about 2 mins away from getting in and taking it for a ride when it stalled. I DIDN'T NOTICE any strange noises or anything else odd(I was about 10 feet away from the car). When i went to start the car again I turn the key part way, I hear the fuel pump/releay/etc and everything seems normal except the car will not start (it almost starts but just doesn't seem to catch). I noticed there was a puddle of fluid in the garage about the size of my hand which I think is power steering fluid, but when I check all my fluid levels they are all within spec. The puddle of fluid is located in the middle of the front axle. Also on the ground where the car was idling (outside the garage) there is NO fluid on the floor. I waited half an hour to start the car again and the same thing happened with the car almost catching, but it wouldn't start. I tried yesterday checking the fluid levels again and trying to start it,and the same thing again. I suspect that the puddle on the floor be it power steering fluid or brake fluid has nothing to do with the car not starting. I'm thinking it might be the fuel filter. After that I would also check the spark plugs and air box or possibly the injectors? I'm a novice when it comes to working on cars, but I take my time and follow the advice from the experts on this message board and the steps detailed in the Chilton Manual. Just wanted to see if anyone could verify that I am pointed in the right direction? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:08 AM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Changing the fuel filter may not be a bad idea. The puddle (fix this later) doesn't sound like the reason for the car not starting.

There could be several reason for your car not starting...you may want to get a can of ether and spray it into/past the throttle body and see if the car starts or tries to start. If the car runs on the ether then you have a fuel delivery problem. You will need to pick up a fuel rail pressure gage to troubleshoot the problem.

The purchase of Helm's field service manual (FSM) will be important if your going to hang onto the car for the long term.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:50 AM
mag1979
2nd Gear

Default will check fuel pressure and replace filter this weekend

Thanks Engle...will buy the fuel pressure gage and check this weekend. I haven't been able to get the car lifted and look under it yet (will do this saturday).Engle, I read your 9 page thread yesterday on your similar problem...It's amazing all you had to go through..I really felt for you. Thanks for the advice will keep everyone posted.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:26 AM
Rich's94vert
Instructor

Remember the golden rule: spark or fuel. My though is even though it only has 30K it's time not mileage. the spot on the floor could be coolant, water pump dumped on your Opti and now your dead. Check the spark.

Get notified of new replies

To '94 30k miles stalls and ALMOST starts. Please Help

Quick Reply: '94 30k miles stalls and ALMOST starts. Please Help