C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

84 smog legal replacement heads

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 08:47 AM
JamesRS
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 121 Likes on 41 Posts

Default 84 smog legal replacement heads

Hi all,

I am thinking about getting a set of better flowing heads (eventually) to replace the stock heads to allow the Vette to breath a little better, but was wondering about the emissions. First I was thinking about a set of GM Vortec heads (re-drilled for the standard manifold) but then I figured I'd look into some Dart or Trick Flow heads etc. However, the California emissions board really takes this whole "keep it stock" thing serious. I was wondering if anyone knew how far I could go before I wouldn't pass smog any more.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:00 AM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

The problem isn't so much in the heads as in the intake. Very small and restrictive. It's known as "critical path". You will only flow as much as your tightest restriction. Kinda like a 36 or 48 oz drink, you only flow as much as the straw will let you.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:24 AM
JamesRS
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 121 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by zr1fred
The problem isn't so much in the heads as in the intake. Very small and restrictive. It's known as "critical path". You will only flow as much as your tightest restriction. Kinda like a 36 or 48 oz drink, you only flow as much as the straw will let you.
I've heard that the crossfire intake is a big restriction so I have a ported one that I'm going to use. It won't flow as much as an X-Ram, but will work fine up to 5000rpm's, which is as high as I'm going to go. My concern was the heads. I've heard that they are the worst flowing heads that GM put on a Vette. (sigh)
Old 06-26-2007, 12:07 PM
qws
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

www.aeroheadracing.com
dart iron eagle heads are a nice flowing head. Only $625 for the pair. Read up on them they are nice.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:12 AM
GRX
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am very happy with my AFR heads. Start by improving the heads...then there are alot of guys here that have improved the flow numbers on their '84 setups and can help you. Do a search also. Click on "archives" too for the search.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:40 AM
Chatman
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 102 Posts

Don't forget to check http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...rmktdevice.php
although cylinder heads might not be noticed on a visual inspection.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:38 PM
corvted
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

For California as long as the aftermarket part is CARB certified your cool. The part will come with a CARB label on it usually. Doing a 383 in cali myself, so much research is needed to keep it smog clean.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:18 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The cylinder head doesn't need a CARB number. Just paint it black if you want to hide it.

It WILL need an internal EGR passage though. Many heads don't have this, it's directly in the middle of the head. Edelbrock has a few smog legal (EGR) heads.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:45 AM
GRX
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by corvted
For California as long as the aftermarket part is CARB certified your cool. The part will come with a CARB label on it usually. Doing a 383 in cali myself, so much research is needed to keep it smog clean.
...well AFR offers CARB legal heads

Get notified of new replies

To 84 smog legal replacement heads

Quick Reply: 84 smog legal replacement heads