C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Real Men of Genius - Here's to you Mechanics

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 12:45 AM
USA1LT1
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Real Men of Genius - Here's to you Mechanics

I've owned my '92 LT1 for 15 years, and that entire time, I 've always been a bit hesitant (afraid even) to work on my own car.

I recently bought a '95 LT1 with a weeping water pump, and knew that I would need to take it in to the shop to get it repaired soon.

After I called one reputable independent Corvette repair shop in my area, and they quoted me $2,700 to replace the water pump, Opti and all the hoses, I decided to take matters into my own hands.

I figured if I'm going to own two aging C4s, I better learn how to take care of them myself.

So, I bought a new water pump and FSM on that big auction site, and all the hoses from Rock Auto.

Last weekend, I replaced the water pump, radiator hoses and heater hoses, and it took me 6 hours non-stop, in 90 degree weather.

I just wanted to say, that as a white collar office worker, I have new-found respect for auto mechanics.

Working on the car was a great learning experience but it was physically exhausting - I'm still a bit sore.

So here's to you, professional car mechanics. I appreciate the hard work you do, and I hope a good chunk of the $120/hr labor rate goes to you!

Last edited by USA1LT1; 07-10-2007 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:49 AM
carriker
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Feels good to know you can do it yourself, doesn't it?
Old 07-10-2007, 02:28 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah, wrenching isn't that hard. Any schmoe with a junior high school diploma and broken english can do it.

I'd like to think I'm handy, but my white collar co-workers just think I do my own work because I'm a cheapskate.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:00 AM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
Yeah, wrenching isn't that hard. Any schmoe with a junior high school diploma and broken english can do it.
It's not hard but knowing what you are looking at makes a big difference, and having the correct tools.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:11 AM
ZD1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well you have startd th clock...in about 3 years you'll hav you budis hlping you ith th s/c and xhast.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:27 AM
toptechx6
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Thank You! Nice to get some respect from the front office, not exactly a high prestige job and no we rarely get more more than 25% of the charged labor rate these days.
Delighted to hear you got your car fixed
Old 07-10-2007, 06:54 AM
eschoendorff
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I'd like to think I'm handy, but my white collar co-workers just think I do my own work because I'm a cheapskate.
Same here. I'm not exactly cheap, but I like doing my own work (most of teh time).
Old 07-10-2007, 07:01 AM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Some of the hardest physical work I have done is auto related. Most techs earn their wage.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:17 AM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

"It's hard work", as the Prez would say
Old 07-10-2007, 07:26 AM
BerniesVette
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

By working on my car myself, I have more money to spend on it. The only jobs I do not do are the ones that require specialized tools that our heavy equipment shop does not have. Keep up the good work. It is relaxing and relieves the stress of the day for me!
Bernie
Old 07-10-2007, 08:11 AM
mseven
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I consider it good therapy
Old 07-10-2007, 08:40 AM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

If you did all that in a single day, and it was 90* you earned that $120/hour. Thats a pretty good accomplishment for a first timer. My hats off to you.
The following users liked this post:
USA1LT1 (05-01-2020)
Old 07-10-2007, 10:14 AM
VR'92
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03

Originally Posted by Jeffvette
It's not hard but knowing what you are looking at makes a big difference, and having the correct tools.
It's not hard....except for the people who don't know which end of the screwdriver to hold!!

I've met those people, they scare me.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:18 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

It bugs me how people look down on the profession, even though there are many hacks that earn the bad reputation, but the case with any profession. Just from what I've experienced, it takes ingenuity, organization, dexterity, and a bit of courage to be a GOOD mechanic.

I can think of a bunch of pencil pushing jobs and other easy jobs that are highly respected yet often don't require more than a pulse and experience, or a good supervisor.

I guess what it comes down to for most people is, if the job means getting dirty, the guys doing it must be dirt bags.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:22 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

and having the correct tools.
Tools are everything. Probably #2 right after experience. This is where too many people go cheap. You don't know how valuable that tool is until it's 2 a.m. Sunday night, the stores are all closed, and you can't get that last damn part on to get yourself back on the road. Or until you spend 3 hours doing a 15 minute job because you didn't have the right tools.

Give me someone else's toolbox and I'll struggle to get the work done.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:31 AM
toptechx6
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Can't help but chuckle at the direction this thread took. USA1LT1's post expressed his respect for "professional" wrenches and with one or two exceptions all the "hobby" mechanics stepped up to take a bow
To add insult to injury most also believe the job of mechanic is an easy one.
Yes, I've read all the horror stories about the bad experiences at "stealerships" and would even agree that there are lots of hacks masquerading as technicians, but there are also many competent pros making an honest living fixing cars the right way. Those who have a good experience rarely post to tell about it, quality work is expected from a pro and rightfully so.
Before the flames start, let me say at this point I classify myself as a hobby mechanic too. That designation certainly has it's own set of challenges and I respect those who can repair their own vehicle, but doing so is far different than the daily grind of doing it to pay the bills.
Thanks again to those who recognize the job for what it is.
Therapy.... stress relief??? In your dreams!
Old 07-10-2007, 11:42 AM
cplonner
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZD1
Well you have startd th clock...in about 3 years you'll hav you budis hlping you ith th s/c and xhast.
..........What?

You said it. The right tools make the job more fun.

Get notified of new replies

To Real Men of Genius - Here's to you Mechanics

Old 07-10-2007, 11:44 AM
tsbbzm
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

Some folks are alot like me....more time than money$$$$
So we just dive in!!!!

Old 07-10-2007, 12:14 PM
Scooter 94
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, it's hard work, but gets easier with the right tools and facility. I've wiggled underneath enough cars to know how much easier it could be with a lift. Most weekend mechanics aren't willing to invest in the proper equipment, or their garage can't fit a lift. Still, it takes a knack for knowing how things work, and the vast majority of people just don't have it.

HOWEVER, there ain't enough tools in the world to make 60 hours a week easy enough for me personally. I'm the wimpiest of the wimps.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:29 PM
80sRule
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Tools are everything. Probably #2 right after experience. This is where too many people go cheap. You don't know how valuable that tool is until it's 2 a.m. Sunday night, the stores are all closed, and you can't get that last damn part on to get yourself back on the road. Or until you spend 3 hours doing a 15 minute job because you didn't have the right tools.

Give me someone else's toolbox and I'll struggle to get the work done.
My friend has a tool chest filled with new tools, some new Craftsman(not impressed with the ratchets and such), some offbrand crap. Always breaks stuff and messes stuff up with them.

My tool chest filled with old SK, Matco, Craftsman, Snap-On all works great. Most of the tools are older than me, and bought used when my dad was growing up. I'll take my beat up antique tools that still do the job well.

I usually cruise the garage sales for old tools. Last score was a brand new digital Mitutoyo caliper in box for $40, along with a bunch of old SK impact deep well sockets.

Quick Reply: Real Men of Genius - Here's to you Mechanics