C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Removing Cold Start Valve

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 04:21 PM
edoad
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Cold Start Valve

On the Tech forum there was a post on a MR installation and someone stated that the Eprom would have to be reprogramed for removal of the cold start valve. Is this possible? I thought the computer would have to be replaced.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:49 AM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The ECM has no control over the CSV. So, when someone deletes the CSV out of the Eprom, this just means the ECM will compensate for the cold starts by adding more fuel to the mixture on cold starts.

The CSV circuitry gets it's 12v by way of the starter solenoid. As long as the starter turns, the CSV is active but up to 8 seconds. There is a thermal time switch mounted in the front of the intake manifold that contols the on time for the CSV. The engine temp has to be below 95* for the termal switch to activate.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:16 AM
rons85
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup - all you would do for editing the PROM program to compensate for the removal of the CSV is to bump up the cold pulse width a bit and fiddle with the IAC park positions. Or just start with the .bin file for a non -CSV model year, or at least look at one to see what and how much was changed. I know on the '85 that physically removing the CSV really doesn't (didn't for me anyhow) make any difference at all in cold starting. It only works for the first 8 seconds or so anyhow...

Get notified of new replies

To Removing Cold Start Valve

Quick Reply: Removing Cold Start Valve