C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Welder toy,, let the welding begin!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 06:41 PM
pablocruise
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ken brings up a great point about inhaling bad stuff.

Last year in a TIG class I was in, the dept. head accepted some scrap metal from an outside source for us students to practice on.

It appeared to be clean, but it was not. Even tho there is ventilation in the booths, myself and some other students became very sick.
I had flu like symptoms and a ferociously sore throat for a good week.
The swelling in the throat took many weeks to settle down.

Anways, that's a nice little inverter Larry, and the cart is neat also!

I got a lincoln squarewave TIG 175 pro. Had an extra 220V dryer line and switched the receptacle.
Works great, I love the red machines.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:37 PM
LD85
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by scranage
I was welding some SS parts to the aluminized OEM parts and tried both SS and silicon bronze filler rod. I don't have a lot of experience with TIG so I don't know why my torch got so contaminated, I just chalked it up to the coating they use. Maybe it was my technique.
Wow, your are correct,,,the aluminzed tubing is a pain to weld, looks like crap,,,I'm gonna let my buddy MIG it,,, from now on, I'll make sure any new pipes are SS

This portable welder is pretty cool, but I am used to a pedal type for better control,,,,, but for small jobs, it'll do

I am pretty excited that the ball flanges fit tight and I'm looking forward to having a nice leak free fit

Regarding the fumes, I agree it can be an issue but you can only have so much positive air flow without sucking or blowing the argon around.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:37 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I saw Home Depot had some 110v Lincoln welders there, would that be sufficient for a start (making brackets, fabbing, an occasional frame weld?) Dont want to spend a ton, landlord doesnt want me wiring 220 in the garage.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:07 PM
scranage
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LD85
Wow, your are correct,,,the aluminzed tubing is a pain to weld, looks like crap,,,I'm gonna let my buddy MIG it,,, from now on, I'll make sure any new pipes are SS

This portable welder is pretty cool, but I am used to a pedal type for better control,,,,, but for small jobs, it'll do

I am pretty excited that the ball flanges fit tight and I'm looking forward to having a nice leak free fit

Regarding the fumes, I agree it can be an issue but you can only have so much positive air flow without sucking or blowing the argon around.
Sorry you had trouble too, but glad to hear it wasn't just me doing something boneheaded. I ended up buying a bunch of virgin SS mandrel 45 degree bends in 3" diameter for the next go around. I wasn't too unhappy with the first try, it looked ok, but I want to do better on the next attempt with a full 3" system with X-Pipe.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:10 PM
scranage
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
I saw Home Depot had some 110v Lincoln welders there, would that be sufficient for a start (making brackets, fabbing, an occasional frame weld?) Dont want to spend a ton, landlord doesnt want me wiring 220 in the garage.
I've used one of those for years because of the easy portability. You'd be surprised what you can do with one of these little guys. My big welder is old, and really big, so I use this one more than I should. I think its about 20 years old now.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:51 PM
LD85
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by scranage
Sorry you had trouble too, but glad to hear it wasn't just me doing something boneheaded. I ended up buying a bunch of virgin SS mandrel 45 degree bends in 3" diameter for the next go around. I wasn't too unhappy with the first try, it looked ok, but I want to do better on the next attempt with a full 3" system with X-Pipe.
SS is the ticket, you'll do fine with that,, a MIG bead will do OK to,

Quick Reply: Welder toy,, let the welding begin!