C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Brake light coming on, why???

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 05:03 PM
vvv90
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Brake light coming on, why???

So I bled the brakes this week and there was A LOT of air in the line. I got all the air out and brakes are solid now. Pedal doesn't go to the floor at all.

In fact, I can lock them up repeatedly. They feel great!

However, my brake light comes on when I come to a stop. ALSO, the brake light comes on under heavy WOT accelleration.

Since it comes on under accelleration I'm assuming it must be a bad sensor or something.

So what do you guys think? Where should I start? Did this happen to anyone else?

(P.S. The car has been sitting for quite some time, maybe a couple years, it might have something to do with it.)
Old 07-22-2007, 05:24 PM
Zorro4153
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fluid may be low, when stopping and starting, the fluid moves and trips the sensor. Just a thought. If not, I would say a bad sensor
Old 07-22-2007, 06:41 PM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Your rear pads are needing to be replaced. Heat and expansion is enough to turn the light off after warm up but soon it will stay on all the time.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:55 PM
Zorro4153
Pro

Originally Posted by jhammons01
Your rear pads are needing to be replaced. Heat and expansion is enough to turn the light off after warm up but soon it will stay on all the time.
If the pedal is high and firm while braking and the light come on during WOT accelleration, how does the rear brake line thickness come into play ? I've seen cars with no brake lining left and the light didn't come on. Light will only come on when it's low or a pressure loose and the pedal goes to the floor.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:08 PM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

The pedal height is not dictated by the pads. Every time the pedal is let off it should self adjust all the way to where it is metal to metal

I'm not 100% sure on Vettes. You say the car has been sitting up, put new pads on and see.

I know for decades, when my brake light stays on, I change the rear pads and it stops. I never bothered to find out exactly what sensor system is used to sense this.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:16 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Your brake lights are supposed to come on when you stop! Or do you mean the differential brake light warning on the dash comes on when you stop? You need to better describe what kind of fault you are experiencing. If it is the dash warning light, then I would say you have air in one of the systems, front or rear causing a difference in line pressure which activates the differential pressure switch in the master cylinder.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:51 PM
Zorro4153
Pro

If it is the dash warning light, then I would say you have air in one of the systems, front or rear causing a difference in line pressure which activates the differential pressure switch in the master cylinder.[/QUOTE]

which will only happen if the brake pedal drops to a point to active the pressure switch. If the pedal is high and firm, it will not active the switch.

Where does the pressure switch come into play at WOT accelleration ??

Last edited by Zorro4153; 07-22-2007 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:51 PM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

Default light

hmmm let me think,

Last edited by coupeguy2001; 07-22-2007 at 09:57 PM.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:52 PM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Default light

everytime you nail it??
Well if you stop grabbing the e-brake handle every time you scare yourself, it won't come on don't deny it, I've seen you drive

Seriously, check the switch on the e-brake handle for adjustment, and the rear e-brake mount bolt for strippage

Last edited by coupeguy2001; 07-22-2007 at 09:58 PM.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:59 AM
vvv90
Race Director

Originally Posted by coupeguy2001
everytime you nail it??
Well if you stop grabbing the e-brake handle every time you scare yourself, it won't come on don't deny it, I've seen you drive

Seriously, check the switch on the e-brake handle for adjustment, and the rear e-brake mount bolt for strippage
Haha, very funny.

Thank you. I will check those.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:08 AM
vvv90
Race Director

Originally Posted by jfb
Your brake lights are supposed to come on when you stop! Or do you mean the differential brake light warning on the dash comes on when you stop? You need to better describe what kind of fault you are experiencing. If it is the dash warning light, then I would say you have air in one of the systems, front or rear causing a difference in line pressure which activates the differential pressure switch in the master cylinder.

Oh come on now, seriously. I never said "brake lights" I said "brake light." I give my fellow forum members enough credit to understand what I was talking about.

Right now I'm not banking on any air being in one of the systems.

Like I already said, the pedal is firm. It's also high. NEVER comes close to going to the floor, no need for pumping, etc.

The brakes feel great! The car stops on a dime with repeated threshold braking and bedding attempts.

If the "Differential brake warning light" is coming on under accelleration I STILL do not see how that would indicate air in the "systems."

Of course I could be wrong.

It's the WOT with "differential brake warning light" activation that's got me wonderin'.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:27 PM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

Sorry that nobody has posted any other suggestions.

But just try the pads and see what happens. Couldn't be more than a $40 investment in pads and probably 1 hour to change just the rears.

If it is the pads being low and you're problem is solved.......and you also feel bad about not having the Rotors turned, then you can go back and do all the brakes the proper way.

I'd just hate to see you rip out all these other systems looking for a problem that could be solved with $40 bux and 1 hour.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:15 PM
vvv90
Race Director

Sorry that nobody has posted any other suggestions.

But just try the pads and see what happens. Couldn't be more than a $40 investment in pads and probably 1 hour to change just the rears.

If it is the pads being low and you're problem is solved.......and you also feel bad about not having the Rotors turned, then you can go back and do all the brakes the proper way.

I'd just hate to see you rip out all these other systems looking for a problem that could be solved with $40 bux and 1 hour.

Agreed. I will check the pad thickness on the rears. They should probably be changed anyway. The fronts have only a few thousand miles but the rears haven't been changed in 56k (original) miles. I would think they'd be ok but who knows.

Still stumped on the WOT brake light warning though. That still doesn't coincide with low pads.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:28 PM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by vvv90
Still stumped on the WOT brake light warning though. That still doesn't coincide with low pads.
On a limb here....but I'm going with some sort of flexure while under acceleration. You could have bad wheel bearings that are allowing the sensor to be pulled under a load.

Like I said....on a limb as I have no real clue. The Gurus will come along a straighten me out soon. But it isn't about me and you'll get a good answer that may actually help you.

Spill some truth all over the floor (you know who I am speaking to)
Old 07-23-2007, 02:31 PM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

but the rears haven't been changed in 56k (original) miles.
I'm not sure but I don't think Pads last as long as old Brake Drum "shoes" used to last. I'm thinking 56k miles would be at the upper limit.

and don't count out the fact that you may have one piston squeezing better than another which would result in one pad being worn quicker than the other three.

Last edited by jhammons01; 07-23-2007 at 06:21 PM.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:42 PM
vvv90
Race Director

On a limb here....but I'm going with some sort of flexure while under acceleration. You could have bad wheel bearings that are allowing the sensor to be pulled under a load.

Like I said....on a limb as I have no real clue. The Gurus will come along a straighten me out soon. But it isn't about me and you'll get a good answer that may actually help you.

Spill some truth all over the floor (you know who I am speaking to)

Thanks for your help, I do really appreciate it!
Old 07-23-2007, 06:23 PM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

Thanks for your help, I do really appreciate it!
Well until you find the real answer I haven't done anything yet but inject conjecture. When you change the pads and it doesn't solve your problem then you may say thank you

Get notified of new replies

To Brake light coming on, why???

Old 07-24-2007, 12:29 PM
89 Bob L
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be a combonation of bad/worn bearings coupled with the brake pads. If the bearings cause some movement along with worn pads, that could explain your two situations. Try swapping out the pads first. In addition, check your master cylinder for the proper fluid level and ensure the caps are on tight.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:06 PM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Default brake

If your car is 89 or newer:
If you never use the hand brake, you need to pull the hand brake lever about a hundred times to adjust your rear calipers.
The rear calipers are adjusted when you pull the hand brake unlike the fronts that automatically adjust.
try that, and see if the light stays out.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:36 PM
vvv90
Race Director

Originally Posted by coupeguy2001
If your car is 89 or newer:
If you never use the hand brake, you need to pull the hand brake lever about a hundred times to adjust your rear calipers.
The rear calipers are adjusted when you pull the hand brake unlike the fronts that automatically adjust.
try that, and see if the light stays out.
It's a manual so I always use my hand brake.

However, the car has been sitting for quite a while so who knows. I'll give it a shot.

Quick Reply: Brake light coming on, why???