C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1990 horn relay

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 02:43 PM
mudslide
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 1990 horn relay

My horn does not work so I went looking for the fuse ---never found it but then I thought to try the factory alarm system and the horns worked with that. The book says the horn and alarm are on the same fuse so now Im thinking relay but dont you know the fsm has a suplament which hase the location of the relay. Does anyone know where it would be on a 1990 vert.
Thanks for your help guys

Last edited by mudslide; 07-23-2007 at 02:44 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 07-23-2007, 04:51 PM
89 Bob L
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you check the horn contacts?
Old 07-24-2007, 02:29 PM
mudslide
Racer

Do you mean the ones in the steering wheel? No I didnt. but I thought it would be easyer to check the relay to see if the horn buttons are sending power to the relay.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:05 PM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It should be under the hush panel on the driverside. There are about 5-6 relays under there. You will need a FSM or someone to post which relay it is to be for sure.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:43 PM
mudslide
Racer

Yes rrt thats what Im looking for. my fsm did not come with the electrical trouble shooting section. I think it was an addition to the fsm. Does anyone out there have a diagram showing the location of the relay?? Maybe it shows location and also identifies the relay.
Thanks guys
Old 07-25-2007, 02:38 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On my 1989 it is behind the info panel in the dash! If you unplug the horns and set off VATS you can here it clicking.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:55 PM
Photomania
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts

Default How's your clock spring doing?

The horn on my 1990 coupe didn't work when I bought it over three years ago. I bought it in another state and needed to get it inspected. So, I took it to a shop that specializes in Corvettes, especially in C3s and C4s. They checked relays and fuses and then called me and said the clock spring in the steering wheel was broken and that's why the horn didn't work. Three hundred dollars later, the car had a new clock spring and the horn worked.

I also thought it was interesting that the alarm horns worked but not the horn at the steering wheel. The chief mechanic said the car has separate horns for the alarm. That seemed correct because the alarm horn is twice as loud as the horn that I set off from the steering wheel.

I hope it's not your clock spring. I called around to various Chevy dealers and they said $300 for replacing a clock spring is the going rate because it involves working around the air bag, which has to be disengaged.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:02 AM
1990Redcoupe
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The horn relay on a 90 is on the passenger side under the dash. You need to remove the bottom facia. There is a series of relays mounted backwards facing the engine compartment. One of them is the horn relay.

However, the alarm system uses the same relay so if your alarm is working the relay is Ok.

It looks like you need to dig into the steering wheel switches and/or the wiring near the steering column. Not an easy task.

Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To 1990 horn relay

Quick Reply: 1990 horn relay